Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-21-2019, 08:14 AM   #11
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: GURPS Space sector maps ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Personally I prefer the node/tramline style of star map with lines drawn between circles representing the points of interest with distance numbers on the lines if needed. True three-dimensional map quickly get incomprehensible.
The problem with node/tramline maps is when the PCs want to take an unmapped route...
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:07 AM   #12
JimSam

If we just had that 3D mapping system those bad guy insects in one of the Star Wars movies had. If it ever got built, it would probably take up lots of electricity to run it.
JimSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:57 AM   #13
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
The problem with node/tramline maps is when the PCs want to take an unmapped route...
Not really a problem. They just take extra time to get there and maybe briefly pass by a garbage system.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 01:42 PM   #14
Agemegos

On the subject of "if only", I'd like to be able to afford a stellarium and a house with room to keep it in.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.

Last edited by Agemegos; 09-23-2019 at 06:06 PM.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:24 AM   #15
JimSam

A 'what if' for me would be a habitat on Earth's moon such that the sun would be blocked most of the time and I had a nice sized reflector telescope. Not too big, 30 inch mirror would be fine.

As for my site: 3 planet maps, one partial sub-sector, one sector map, and some other bits and pieces. No planet details as of yet.
Old 09-22-2019, 02:06 PM   #16
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSam View Post
A 'what if' for me would be a habitat on Earth's moon such that the sun would be blocked most of the time and I had a nice sized reflector telescope. Not too big, 30 inch mirror would be fine.
I think the best you could hope for is about two weeks of the sun mostly blocked with a few days of totally blocked for the moon each month. A full day/night cycle on the moon is roughly 30 days (29.5 days or something like that).
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 02:35 PM   #17
dcarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjard View Post
I think the best you could hope for is about two weeks of the sun mostly blocked with a few days of totally blocked for the moon each month. A full day/night cycle on the moon is roughly 30 days (29.5 days or something like that).
There are craters at the poles with the bottoms in permanent shadow. Currently being eyed as a source of ice to provide volatiles.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 03:22 PM   #18
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
There are craters at the poles with the bottoms in permanent shadow. Currently being eyed as a source of ice to provide volatiles.
Fair enough. I haven't done a lot of looking into the moon in a long time.
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:31 AM   #19
JimSam

I've added 3 solar system maps using a HighSpace template.

This is it for me posting about this. I don't want to clog the forums up talking about me, me, and me.
Old 09-23-2019, 02:34 PM   #20
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjard View Post
Even skipping the previously mentioned polar craters, you could get away with a large shader dome and you should be able to get at least 21-22 days of good viewing; maybe 24 or so. Without an atmosphere sunlight is not scattered, so all you need to do is shade the telescope and point the lens at something that isn't the sun. Even a spot a few degrees off from the sun should be doable, if you can trust your shader dome and tracking system enough that it won't lock up and accidentally point you at the sun due to a breakdown.

One of the holy grail sites for a lunar observatory is actually the far side of the moon. It would be a massive boon for radio astronomy since the entire moon would be blocking all the stray radio signals from the Earth, giving the clearest view available.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 09-23-2019 at 02:39 PM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote