Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-06-2020, 11:41 AM   #21
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: [Basic] Disadvantage of the Week: Truthfulness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I don't get why extreme virtuousness is seen as so "obnoxious" or otherwise ugly/unrealistic. It's like how often Superman gets an edgy reboot or story where his basic morality is just tossed out the window. Or how so many D&D players have stories of despising the paladin class.
Usually because (in both the stereotypical annoying paladin and Michael Cule's cases) you're not only adhering to 'extreme virtuousness' but forcing everyone else to do so as well, or else to actively circumvent you.

It's forcibly injecting a PVP component into the game. And preemptively claiming the moral high ground in the conflict it creates.
Quote:
Refusal to lie isn't exceptionally hard unless you're doing something illegal. Or if you significantly care about causing distress to those that really are just looking for reasons to get upset.
"I'd prefer not to discuss that topic", "None of your business", and "Get out of my face", are valid truthful answers after all.
Depends on whether the person asking you uncomfortable questions actually can be deflected or dismissed. And whether there's an audience that will (more or less correctly) read such dismissal of the question as an admission.

Also, it's very easy for there to be secrets that aren't illegal but are still dangerous to share... And of course the very common case of secrets that are illegal but still best not disclosed.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:12 PM   #22
Celjabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Yes. The correct price for divine curse (must tell truth) is -5, not -10.
There is a serious difference between "must tell truth" and "cannot tell an untruth"

But may i ask how you get to the -5 price ?

Last edited by Celjabba; 06-07-2020 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Atrocious grammar -and spelling - corrected
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 01:04 PM   #23
WingedKagouti

Quote:
I don't get why extreme virtuousness is seen as so "obnoxious" or otherwise ugly/unrealistic. It's like how often Superman gets an edgy reboot or story where his basic morality is just tossed out the window. Or how so many D&D players have stories of despising the paladin class.
Anything taken to an extreme can be obnoxious.
WingedKagouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 04:40 PM   #24
jason taylor

Quote:

Refusal to lie isn't exceptionally hard unless you're doing something illegal. Or if you significantly care about causing distress to those that really are just looking for reasons to get upset.
"I'd prefer not to discuss that topic", "None of your business", and "Get out of my face", are valid truthful answers after all.
Because most people don't know what virtuousness is like and when they produce it they come up with self-righteousness which is just another vice. If you saw a really virtuous person you might be afraid of them, or fill shy but "ugly" is not the word you would choose.

The main problem with Superman is not his virtuousness it is his invincibility. To be honest the latest Supergirl came off better to my mind.
Old 06-06-2020, 05:02 PM   #25
DangerousThing

Quote:
Let's say that you are trying to break into the Death Star's brig to rescue the princess. You're dressed up as an Imperial Storm Trooper. One of the guards asks you why you're here?

"None of your business," will probably start a fight at a time you don't want to do so.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 05:31 PM   #26
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
Let's say that you are trying to break into the Death Star's brig to rescue the princess. You're dressed up as an Imperial Storm Trooper. One of the guards asks you why you're here?

"None of your business," will probably start a fight at a time you don't want to do so.
Let the other guy answer.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 05:38 PM   #27
Ulzgoroth

Quote:

To be fair, breaking into the Death Star's brig almost certainly qualifies as illegal.
Old 06-06-2020, 05:43 PM   #28
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
To be fair, breaking into the Death Star's brig almost certainly qualifies as illegal.
Can I check that with an attorney?
Old 06-06-2020, 05:45 PM   #29
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Can I check that with an attorney?
Better check before you get arrested (and/or shot on sight) trying, because the Empire is unlikely to let you contact them after.

Unless you'll be contacting them as a force-ghost.
Old 06-07-2020, 05:26 AM   #30
dcarson

Quote:

Less chance and less violent then "Breaking in to free a prisoner" will. None of you business will at first get you dressed down for insubordination.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disadvantage of the week, truthfulness