Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-10-2015, 12:53 AM   #21
Polydamas

Default Re: How would you equip a dinosaur poacher?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Based on the evidence of elephants, an M16 or AK-47 would work fine but might not give as pretty a trophy as you'd want.
de Camp wrote before the flood of Eastern European arms into Africa and when it was assumed that dinosaurs had the vitality of modern reptiles (and he set things up so that saving weight was a concern), but with the hot blood/cold blood debate I am not sure what modern paleontologists think. It would be good to know how they put down komodo dragons: one big shot or a lot of little holes?

Poachers might find that buying a cheap automatic rifle was less conspicuous than buying an elephant gun.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:58 AM   #22
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
It would be good to know how they put down komodo dragons: one big shot or a lot of little holes?
Most probably, they use whatever gun is at hand. A komodo dragon is comparable in weight to a human, and is presumably vulnerable to the same things.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:38 AM   #23
Polydamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Most probably, they use whatever gun is at hand. A komodo dragon is comparable in weight to a human, and is presumably vulnerable to the same things.
I don't think that follows between biological classes at all.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:59 AM   #24
Anthony

Quote:
I don't think that follows between biological classes at all.
Bone and muscle are bone and muscle. It's typically a lot harder to shoot the brain of a reptile, since it's much smaller, and the mechanics of going into shock might be extremely different, but gross tissue damage just won't vary that much.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:13 AM   #25
DangerousThing

How are TL 8 people going to run into dinosaurs? This matters because you asked about poaching, which is illegal hunting.

What form do you need the body in? Are you only looking for one particular body part, for example rhino horn for "medicinal" purposes? Do you need to sneak an entire body out?

And how do you conceal your operation from the government?

As others have pointed out, hunting a dinosaur is probably easy, but watch out for the scavengers and even the equivalent of body lice and fleas.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:28 AM   #26
Anders

Let's narrow it doen. We're hunting Triceratopses for the horns. They make men mighty! They can be up to three feet long, so any Holdout thing that works for elephant tusks should work for this.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:11 AM   #27
benz72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
What would be good equipment for a TL8 party out to hunt the really big game - brachiosaurs?
I'd start with a time machine.

More seriously, I'd want to know what my goal was. Am I trying to clear an area of predators to establish a village? Am I hunting for meat? Am I looking to capture one for a breeding program? Do I need something to accent my enormous foyer?

Those various goals will provide very different answers to the question about gear.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:23 AM   #28
Fred Brackin

Quote:
), but with the hot blood/cold blood debate .
Ignore the "hot blood/cold blood debate". The cold blood side doesn't have a leg to stand on. Mostly because dinosaurs have legs like mammals or terrestrial birds rather than lizards

A critter that runs like an ostrich needs a metabolism like an 0ostrich and a creature that spends all day on its' feet eating trees like an elephant needs a metabolism like an elephant. A creature that spends most of its' day flopped on its' belly like a reptile doing nothing is the candidate for a reptile metabolism.

What the cold blood argument actually stands on is conservatism and a simplistic "dinosaurs are like reptiles" argument. It's really only dinosaur skulls that are like reptile skulls.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:34 AM   #29
Kalzazz

Given that a triceratops is in the same weight class as an African elephant, the same techniques will work fine
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:25 AM   #30
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Given that a triceratops is in the same weight class as an African elephant, the same techniques will work fine
In a very general sense, yes but the best aiming point for an elephant is a side shot using the upper ear as a marker for the brain. You probably can't do that with a triceratops.

Frontal head shots at an elephant are actually quite hard and they might be even worse with a triceratops.

Tags
dinosaurs, equipment