Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-15-2014, 04:57 AM   #21
Gold & Appel Inc

Default Re: [Banestorm] The Ministry of Serendipity

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
I was thinking more in terms of cherry picking people to kidnap, knowledge that HASN'T slipped across the dimensional barrier, etc. More access to forbidden knowledge, etc.

Something as simple as genetically modified crops might or might not be worth stealing - even the ability to steal normal non-modified crops that undergone selection over the years would be superior to normal grains.
I haven't read it in a while, so correct me if I'm wrong here, but aren't these guys kind of serious about the whole Luddite thing?
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:39 AM   #22
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
I haven't read it in a while, so correct me if I'm wrong here, but aren't these guys kind of serious about the whole Luddite thing?
I certainly haven't noti9ced anywhere in canon where the MoS or any of Yrth's other Secret Masters exploits any Banestormed knowledge.

The fact they that could use this or that and it would be a good thing is behind the suggestion (which I wanted to be stronger while Banestorm was in playtest) that the MoS and the general Anti-Gunpowder Plot was actually the work of Dragons or some other powerful non-human group.

To be specific: The technology suppression conspiracy is bad for humans and makes the most sense as an anti-human plot
Old 07-15-2014, 08:18 AM   #23
korbeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
To be specific: The technology suppression conspiracy is bad for humans and makes the most sense as an anti-human plot
It's a good theory but as Banestorm state:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banestorm p. 88
the Ministry claim that it was founded by Simon Menelaus himself, after he received a terrifying vision.
You think is a pure propaganda from the Ministry? Humans are good playings politics and conspiracy when power over behing is involved.
korbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:27 AM   #24
DoctorRomulus

I'm not trying to hijack this thread or anything but, since over the years whole towns and villages were brought to Yrth by the Banestorm. How would the MOS handle the appearance of say an aircraft carrier appearing through the storm?

What can I say, I like game changers like that!

:D

GURPS IS..."undead-cyborg-undead-dragon-cyborg-riders... and their werewolf allies carrying plasma rifles while riding in aircars"
DoctorRomulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:27 AM   #25
korbeau

Like how governement handle the UFO today but in Yrth, it's more easy to tell peoples that a mage have try a new illusion or something like that while the Tracker go looking for this piece of technology.
korbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:30 AM   #26
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRomulus View Post
I'm not trying to hijack this thread or anything but, since over the years whole towns and villages were brought to Yrth by the Banestorm. How would the MOS handle the appearance of say an aircraft carrier appearing through the storm?

What can I say, I like game changers like that!

:D
Wow we should start a thread based on that!

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:31 AM   #27
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by korbeau View Post
You think is a pure propaganda from the Ministry? .
Sure, there isn't a reason in this world or any other to believe the Ministry is telling the truth.

I've never seen any real evidence that humans are good at conspiracy either. Lots of evidence that they're bad at it. Willing to try but almost sure to fail. A conspiracy this successful looks like more evidence of non-human influence to me.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:31 AM   #28
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
The fact they that could use this or that and it would be a good thing is behind the suggestion (which I wanted to be stronger while Banestorm was in playtest) that the MoS and the general Anti-Gunpowder Plot was actually the work of Dragons or some other powerful non-human group.
Sort of Wyvern, all over again?
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:42 PM   #29
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by korbeau View Post
For the 4th year of my Yrth Campaign, my player will be messing with one of the darkest organisation on Yrth; The Ministry of Serendipity.

As I build up all the organisation, I thought it would be useful to receive ideas and constructive criticism from other about my project.

In the Banestorm book, p. 205, you could read about the Ministry “They include spies, scholars of forbidden knowledge, wizardly experts in Banestorm-tracing or mind-wiping magic, assassins, and warrior-trackers. “ That was the inspiration for all the work.

Ive wanted to do this as the company from GURPS Black Ops. Right down to different divisions etc. Then you just have them giving fake reports to their supposed masters and really run by an Aegis of powerful people dedicated to protecting Yrth from the scum of the multiverse.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:02 PM   #30
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Sort of Wyvern, all over again?
Now that is the first not completely absurd justification for that aspect of Banestorm I've ever read.
For some reason, "Dragons!" makes more sense than, "Wizards did it!"

Tags
banestorm