Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-21-2024, 02:14 PM   #1
Bathawk

Default Telepathic "Land Mine" Power

Hey all, just hoping someone can direct me because I'm sure I saw it somewhere (guessing Gurps:Psionics)..but can't locate it. If anyone can give a page number it would be appreciated

Essentially it's a mental attack that triggers whenever someone tries to read the targets mind...either as a telepathic defense mechanism, or maybe the targets mind is "just too alien to comprehend"
Bathawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 02:36 PM   #2
Inky

Default Re: Telepathic "Land Mine" Power

Possibly, this is Mind Trap, GURPS Psionic Powers page 67 - it doesn't do damage, but it enables you to 'trap' an enemy that triggers your Mind Shield.
Old 04-21-2024, 06:11 PM   #3
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inky View Post
Possibly, this is Mind Trap, GURPS Psionic Powers page 67 - it doesn't do damage, but it enables you to 'trap' an enemy that triggers your Mind Shield.
Link that to Mental Stab (I think it's called).
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 10:50 PM   #4
Bathawk

Sure it existed somewhere...maybe I'm thinking of Hero system?
Bathawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:04 AM   #5
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathawk View Post
Hey all, just hoping someone can direct me because I'm sure I saw it somewhere (guessing Gurps:Psionics)..but can't locate it. If anyone can give a page number it would be appreciated

Essentially it's a mental attack that triggers whenever someone tries to read the targets mind...either as a telepathic defense mechanism, or maybe the targets mind is "just too alien to comprehend"
This is just a damaging attack with Triggered Delay on it. The trigger is someone reading your mind.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:37 AM   #6
Jariel

I think it's a perk for Terror, but I don't remember where I saw it. Basically whenever someone tries to read your mind they suffer the effects of your Terror advantage.
Jariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:46 AM   #7
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jariel View Post
I think it's a perk for Terror, but I don't remember where I saw it. Basically whenever someone tries to read your mind they suffer the effects of your Terror advantage.
That's the Gaze Into The Abyss perk for anti-psis, on p. 24 of GURPS Psionic Powers. Anyone who reads your mind for the first time must make a fright check.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:17 AM   #8
Varyon

Thematically, it almost feels like an Aura with Internal would work - Aura affects anyone who touches you, while this affects anyone who touches your mind. As Aura requires Melee Attack C, this would only work on someone who is physically touching you while reading your mind. Offhand, a construct like Aura +80%; Cosmic, Aura can be Ranged +100%; Internal x1/5 might allow it to still work at range, but only against those "touching your mind." That would work as-is for Affliction and Innate Attack, but you'd still be limited by Range - without Increased Range, that would mean anyone who reads your mind beyond 10 yards gets a +3 to resist or takes half damage, while anyone beyond 100 yards who reads your mind is out of range and unaffected. As it stands this would also allow armor and the like to protect the target; if that is unwanted, you'll want an Armor Divisor. Malediction may also be compatible, and would handily bypass Range and DR restrictions (although Range will wind up limited by skill, particularly for Malediction +100% and Malediction +200%). For abilities that are normally melee, like Leech, you'd need to add Ranged +40%.

Without Internal, the above construct would arguably affect anyone within Range, but that would be extremely unbalanced (if you want that, you'd need to toss on Area Effect and Emanation). I'd treat it more as a "Retributive Strike" effect - anyone within Range who attacks you is automatically struck by the effect of your Aura.

Last edited by Varyon; Yesterday at 06:21 AM.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:41 PM   #9
Scriptorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathawk View Post

Horrifying Window, from Horror page 12, is one implementation. Essentially, an Affliction with Always On, -20% and Trigger, Psionic Contact, -40%.
Scriptorian is offline   Reply With Quote