Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-10-2019, 12:25 AM   #1
awesomenessofme1

Default A few minor questions about Obscure

I'm trying to create a darkness field power using Obscure. The basic form is Obscure (Vision) 10 plus some level of Area Effect.

Question 1: Is Variable required to merely dim the area rather than cover it in pitch blackness or is that automatic? I ask because Variable specifically refers to an "attack", and I don't think Obscure counts as one.

Question 2: I'm using Selectivity to allow a variable radius for the field. Does it work that way?
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 01:13 AM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: A few minor questions about Obscure

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
Question 1: Is Variable required to merely dim the area rather than cover it in pitch blackness or is that automatic? I ask because Variable specifically refers to an "attack", and I don't think Obscure counts as one.
I'm pretty sure that Variable is only needed for attacks, non-attack abilities' range, area, or level of effect are variable automatically per GURPS Powers (p. 107). Unless I'm seriously missing something.

Quote:
Question 2: I'm using Selectivity to allow a variable radius for the field. Does it work that way?
See above.

Edit: I will note that if you add Ranged and want to keep those capabilities you'd need Variable and Variable, Area of Effect.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 01:13 AM   #3
Refplace

#1 Good question. It doesn't call it an attack ability so maybe not. I think I've always used it at full power though.
#2 You want Selective Area, +20% not Selectivity for this.

Edit. Christopher is right, you dont need this if your just altering radius and if its not really an attack.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 01:22 AM   #4
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
I'm pretty sure that Variable is only needed for attacks, non-attack abilities' range, area, or level of effect are variable automatically per GURPS Powers (p. 107). Unless I'm seriously missing something.

See above.

Edit: I will note that if you add Ranged and want to keep those capabilities you'd need Variable and Variable, Area of Effect.
So, just to be completely clear, if you're using Obscure without Ranged, then Selectivity, Variable, and Selective Area are all redundant?
Old 08-10-2019, 01:29 AM   #5
Refplace

Quote:
So, just to be completely clear, if you're using Obscure without Ranged, then Selectivity, Variable, and Selective Area are all redundant?
Selective Area is not redundant. It lets you create holes in the obscure so specific hexes are not affected. So you could create a window in a large area fora one on one fight while obscuring the rest of the area or just go with odd shapes.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 01:38 AM   #6
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Selective Area is not redundant. It lets you create holes in the obscure so specific hexes are not affected. So you could create a window in a large area fora one on one fight while obscuring the rest of the area or just go with odd shapes.
Are you sure? The relevant section from Powers says "their range, area, level of effect, and so on are variable automatically" and the description of Selective Area in the Basic Set makes specific reference to attacks.
Old 08-10-2019, 01:39 AM   #7
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
What Rory said. Selective Area adds a whole other feature to the underlying ability.

Become a Patron!
Old 08-10-2019, 01:40 AM   #8
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Are you sure? The relevant section from Powers says "their range, area, level of effect, and so on are variable automatically" and the description of Selective Area in the Basic Set makes specific reference to attacks.
Variable Area lets you go from 1 hex to N hexes where N is your maximum area of effect. Selective Area lets you pick spots within that radius to ignore or not affect.

Become a Patron!