Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-26-2020, 03:45 PM   #351
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: [Psionics] [Space] Psi Trek - Worldbuilding

I like the mercenary angle, for #4.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 08:35 PM   #352
Prince Charon

OK, it looks like #4 won, so Klingon mercenaries in the Unification Wars lead to communication between the USA and the Klingon Empire. Next question:

Third Klingons/thlIngans question

What sort of Klingons/thlIngans are Psi Trek Klingons generally more like?

1. Like TOS Klingons (basically humans with a variant culture, no more interested in melee combat than humans generally are).

2. Like Prime Directive Klingons (a multiracial empire that may include some of the other options as member or subject races).

3. Like TMP Klingons (big teeth and pronounced, rounded forehead ridges, culturally probably like TOS or MOV Klingons).

4. Like MOV Klingons (Star Trek III, V, and VI; physically and culturally between TOS and TNG+ Klingons).

5. Like TNG+ Klingons (Space Vikings, generally honourable, very fond of melee combat, wide range of forehead ridge types which probably run in families).

6. Like something else (please specify).

Please include the number of your preferred option when you vote.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 09:17 PM   #353
TGLS

Leaving aside how they look, I'd go with Space Samurai, blending the whole honor thing and imperialism, possibly even the melee weapons thing too, and pulling it back from a questionably functional society. Call it 6 (or maybe 4, depending on how you dice it).
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 09:20 PM   #354
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Leaving aside how they look, I'd go with Space Samurai, blending the whole honor thing and imperialism, possibly even the melee weapons thing too, and pulling it back from a questionably functional society. Call it 6 (or maybe 4, depending on how you dice it).
6 with the physical appearance from 4, maybe?

-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:09 AM   #355
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Physically, I'd go with 5 (but please do not go with Discovery's Klingons!), but culturally I'd look into a blend of 2, 5, and something else (6). I like the idea of Gorn, Orions, Naussicans, and even some Human colonies willingly joining the Klingon Empire. I also like the idea of "we don't have farmers who fight; we have soldiers who farm", where dying in combat is honorable, but having led a long and productive life without committing dishonorable acts is also held in high esteem. Some of the other races in the Empire may or may not hold the same ideals, but that's okay; they need someone to manage the economy and working the fields and factories while the warriors in the Imperial Defense Force protect and expand the empire. Just don't use money to bring down a Great House. ("House of Quark" is still my favorite DS9 episode... hells, my favorite TNG-DS9-Voyager era episode period!)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 05:58 AM   #356
Vikingv

5. Like TNG+ Klingons (Space Vikings, generally honourable, very fond of melee combat, wide range of forehead ridge types which probably run in families).
Vikingv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:16 AM   #357
Emerald Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Third Klingons/thlIngans question

What sort of Klingons/thlIngans are Psi Trek Klingons generally more like?
I vote for option 5: Like TNG+ Klingons (Space Vikings, generally honourable, very fond of melee combat, wide range of forehead ridge types which probably run in families).
Emerald Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 08:16 PM   #358
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Physically, I'd go with 5 (but please do not go with Discovery's Klingons!)
Not to worry, I left Abramsdrek and STD (and STP, for that matter) off the list for a reason, since they're not so much Star Trek, as some other thing with a Star Trek skin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
, but culturally I'd look into a blend of 2, 5, and something else (6). I like the idea of Gorn, Orions, Naussicans, and even some Human colonies willingly joining the Klingon Empire. I also like the idea of "we don't have farmers who fight; we have soldiers who farm", where dying in combat is honorable, but having led a long and productive life without committing dishonorable acts is also held in high esteem. Some of the other races in the Empire may or may not hold the same ideals, but that's okay; they need someone to manage the economy and working the fields and factories while the warriors in the Imperial Defense Force protect and expand the empire. Just don't use money to bring down a Great House. ("House of Quark" is still my favorite DS9 episode... hells, my favorite TNG-DS9-Voyager era episode period!)
That's a pretty interesting idea. I may have to have a separate cultural vote, since I phrased this question in a way that combines the physical and cultural aspects.

-- Tacitus

Old 05-31-2020, 09:36 AM   #359
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Tossing in my two bits. (Sorry, haven't been following the thread well.)

I don't know much about the British empire, outside of what I've read in fiction books.

But one thing that was in The Peshawar Lancers was the concept of martial races. Some cultures were judged to be innately militant, and were given preferred status (though still subordinate to the Brits).

So I can see that, over time, as the Klingons become an empire, they place themselves in the role of warrior/administrators, and push more of the mundane tasks to the bulk of their subjects. With some species being given preferential treatment and the honor of joining native-species military units. (And the vast majority of subjects being farmers, bureaucrats, etc.)
Old 05-31-2020, 08:15 PM   #360
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
Tossing in my two bits. (Sorry, haven't been following the thread well.)

I don't know much about the British empire, outside of what I've read in fiction books.

But one thing that was in The Peshawar Lancers was the concept of martial races. Some cultures were judged to be innately militant, and were given preferred status (though still subordinate to the Brits).

So I can see that, over time, as the Klingons become an empire, they place themselves in the role of warrior/administrators, and push more of the mundane tasks to the bulk of their subjects. With some species being given preferential treatment and the honor of joining native-species military units. (And the vast majority of subjects being farmers, bureaucrats, etc.)
Probably, yeah. The implied difference with Option #2 is that the other races in the Empire appear to be relatively closer to equal in PD than they seem to be in the audiovisual media, where the client/subject races are rarely seen.

-- Tacitus

Tags
psionics, space, star trek, world building