Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 05-09-2020, 08:11 PM   #1
YankeeGamer

Default Sourcebook: Weimar Berlin & German

Does anyone know if there's any good sourcebooks for Wiemar Berlin, and Wiemar Germany in general. System isn't important, so long as it's decently usable regardless of system--good locales for adventure, magic, intrigue, and perhaps a bit of time or cross time travel--or an encounter with Cthulhu.
Thanks
YankeeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 09:24 PM   #2
Celjabba

Default Re: Sourcebook: Weimar Berlin & German

Berlin - The Wicked City for Call of Cthulhu is a recent book with good review, but I don't have it yet, so I cannot tell you more.

https://www.chaosium.com/berlin-the-...ity-hardcover/

For atmosphere, the TV show Babylon Berlin is spot on.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 04:39 AM   #3
Dr. Beckenstein

No source books, but a few classics:

"Emil and the Detectives", by Erich Kästner. Yes, it is a novel for children. Written in the 1920s, it pulls the reader right into the streets of TL 6 Berlin.

"People on Sunday" ("Menschen am Sonntag") is a silent movie from 1930 that shows every-day life of common people. One can find trailers and clips on Youtube.

"Berlin: Symphony of a Metropolis"
, a documentary from 1927. The complete film can be found on Youtube.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:31 AM   #4
L.J.Steele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
Berlin - The Wicked City for Call of Cthulhu is a recent book with good review, but I don't have it yet, so I cannot tell you more.

https://www.chaosium.com/berlin-the-...ity-hardcover/

For atmosphere, the TV show Babylon Berlin is spot on.
I do have it and recently read it. There's some excellent material on the city itself including a who's who of historical figures and when you might find them in the city. The adventures are cool. Note that this sourcebook is specifically written for "mature" gamers and deals heavily with sexual themes.

For non-gaming books -- Larson's In the Garden of Beasts on 1933 Germany and Boyd's Travelers in the Third Reich on tourism in the 30s are both fascinating.
L.J.Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 12:14 PM   #5
YankeeGamer

Thanks for the references to books and films :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J.Steele View Post
I do have it and recently read it. There's some excellent material on the city itself including a who's who of historical figures and when you might find them in the city. The adventures are cool. Note that this sourcebook is specifically written for "mature" gamers and deals heavily with sexual themes.

For non-gaming books -- Larson's In the Garden of Beasts on 1933 Germany and Boyd's Travelers in the Third Reich on tourism in the 30s are both fascinating.
I have a very minor knowledge of Call of Cthulhu. How much of the material is "fluff," usable for any system? I can get the essence of an NPC with Cthulhu stats, but am more interested in locations, factions, and the sorts of places that don't show up in history books.
You couldn't DO justice to Wiemar Berlin without adult themes. Unless I see any reason not to get it, I thik it's getting added to my collection.
THANKS!
YankeeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 04:33 PM   #6
L.J.Steele

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeGamer View Post
Thanks for the references to books and films :)

I have a very minor knowledge of Call of Cthulhu. How much of the material is "fluff," usable for any system? I can get the essence of an NPC with Cthulhu stats, but am more interested in locations, factions, and the sorts of places that don't show up in history books.
You couldn't DO justice to Wiemar Berlin without adult themes. Unless I see any reason not to get it, I thik it's getting added to my collection.
THANKS!
Maybe 30% history and culture, another 10-20% maps and pics you could file serial numbers off. The adventures are well done.
L.J.Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 05:02 PM   #7
Luke Bunyip

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeGamer View Post
THANKS!
My suggestion is to watch Babylon Berlin, and Cabaret.

Also, Timeghost's "Weimar's Golden Era"may be of interest.