Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 06-08-2020, 12:58 PM   #21
Axly Suregrip

Default Re: Cidri's Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
Ha! What if the Mnoren were such medievalists that they build a flat world in the center of a Ptolemaic universe model? A flat planet could certainly resolve the "land area versus gravity" argument. Hopefully there's the equivalent of scrith on the bottom.
Everyone knows Earth and Cidri are on the back of a giant space sea turtle. This has been corroborated by multiple cultures:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/article...o%20this%20day.

;-)
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 03:12 AM   #22
Steve Plambeck

Anyone else ever worry about sunrise, moon rise, sunset and moon set times for their campaign world? It bugged me never knowing when it was supposed to get light or dark out during outdoor adventures. Anyone come up with a simple solution?

Mine may have been overkill. It was nice having access to a mainframe and unlimited printing in the 80's. So I wrote a (Fortran) program to generate a printed almanac for my group's campaign world, and printed several years worth of stats for our "planet", based on a slightly idealized orbital system (for example, I made the lunar cycle an even 28 days). I even had it calculate solar and lunar eclipse times for each year, and of course the equinox and solstice dates. Alas I'd have to rewrite the thing it I ever wanted to run it again, because the code is on Hollerith cards :)

The funny thing was, our primary GM, who built and mapped most of the World, insisted it was flat! We never did quite resolve that.
Old 09-02-2020, 09:36 PM   #23
DrewAstolfi67

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
What if Cidri was a collection of moons all orbiting the same gas giant?
I love the idea of Cidri as a Dyson Swarm, not one big world, but many small ones linked via gate, and perhaps ship...
DrewAstolfi67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 03:19 PM   #24
Terquem

As a bit of a nut myself, I have always tried to go back to traditional folklore when it comes to things like werewolves, which came out during the NEW moon and not the FULL moon (in the times before wide spread lighting, gas or electric, being out during the new moon was never a good idea because you could see almost nothing by starlight, when Hollywood came along to film the first werewolf movie they changed it to the Full moon simply because it could be rendered on the screen in terms the audience immediately understood)

So planing the phases of the moon or moons in my role playing game settings was always something I tried to do well.
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote