Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:52 AM   #31
Leonidas
Banned

Default Re: OGRE IN ITALY

Many Thanks,

I will try to design a detailed scenario about yesterday's game during the incoming holidays and submit it. Actually, it was a very entertaining match, and there were a couple of turning points where the players had to make difficult choices.

Yesterday, we were a little bit skeptic about trying an improvised scenario, which could have turned out very bad and unbalanced. However, we decided to "trust the game". We were right in trusting the system, because the whole march was extremely fun to play and very satisfying and smooth.

I keep talking to my friends about the game, and we keep saying that OGRE has a perfect balance of complexity, elegance, and depth. The best thing is that it is a sandbox game, and it is very easy to create stories and thematic conflicts. This weekend we will probably use 4 GEV's Map and try our first full-scale conflict (2 OGRE on each Side).I am thinking about an Advanced Base, and a HQ in the Back, with reinforcements.

What a game!

Leonidas out for now.

Last edited by Leonidas; 12-27-2017 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Typos
Leonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 03:29 PM   #32
Leonidas
Banned

We did a full scale war on 4 GEV maps using 80% of the 6th edition plus Reinforcements counters but no Ogres. What a war! OptIonal rules for damaging terrain are fundamental to destroy the cities hexes, otherwise defensive positions are too much strong to conquer or overrun. It took 7 hours. It was a very good game. Now I will work on my Targets Go Boom scenario.

Leonidas out.

Last edited by Leonidas; 12-27-2017 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 12-26-2017, 05:20 AM   #33
Leonidas
Banned

Ok. I am heading to the fancy Courmayeur for Ogremas Holiday. I am bringing some Ogre stuff to work on the Targets go Boom Scenario. I will post specific information in the next days. We keep playing and have fun. The best thing about Ogre is that you can make it your own game, without spending huge amounts of money, by using just a minimum of imagination. I want to create thematic scenarios to share with the community.

Leonidas out for now.

Last edited by Leonidas; 12-27-2017 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 12-26-2017, 04:22 PM   #34
tomc

Thanks for the updates Leonidas! I really enjoy reading of your Ogre escapades.

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 06:41 AM   #35
Leonidas
Banned

Leonidas Reporting.

Our forward base has been trashed by the Combine forces. An unexpected attack.

Ok. I am joking. Actually, I luckily won that scnario. As anticipated, I am talking about my Targets Go Boom scenario. In fact, I love the special strategic counters and I wanted to put such nostalgic artwork to good use. I will do this through different posts, as I am on holiday and I do not have acces to a decent WP.

I will present suggested army lists, the GEV map to use, the positioni of the Paneuropean “base” counters, and a cuople of special/optional rules. I am doing this just for fun, so do not expect much. It is my first try in designing a scenario, but Ineed to start somewhere!

Last edited by Leonidas; 12-27-2017 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 12-27-2017, 07:12 AM   #36
Leonidas
Banned

The GEV maps involved here are the S2 South and G2 North. The maps are connected so that the roads on S2 (0422 and 1822) connect to roads on G2 (0401-1801), respectively.

The defender shall place the following on G2:

- a reactor on 0509 (60 SP) (60 VP)
- a laser tower on 1409 (20 SP) (20 VP)
- a laser tower on 1907 (20 SP) (20 VP)
- a strongpoint on 1507 (60 SP) (20 VP)

An Ogre Mk III on 0710, who will wake at the beginnig of Turn 5.

The attacker shall deploy first all units within 3 hexes of S2 border. The defender can deploy units anywhere on G2 after the attacker has deployed.

The attacker may place the optional destroyed Laser Towers on 0621 and 1620 on S2. This is only for aesthetic reasons.

The Paneuropean base is composed by the Strategic and Tactical Objectives sheet. Each hex is worth 4 VP and has a D1 defense value. If the hex is attacked, on a D is damaged, the counter is flipped over showing its damaged side, and the attacker gets 4 VP. On a X result, the hex is destroyed and replaced by rubble, and the attacker gets and additional + 1 VP (i.e. the attacker can get a total of 5 VP per hex).

You may use an optional rule for the Strongpoint. The Strongpoint may host up to 15 squads of INF, and INF may fire at Range +1 while in the Strongpoint. If the Strongpoint is destroyed with INF is still inside, all INF suffer 50% casualities (rounded down).

Last edited by Leonidas; 12-27-2017 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 12-27-2017, 07:23 AM   #37
Leonidas
Banned

Ok. Let’s place the Paneuropean base on G2 Map.

Use counters from the Strategic and Tactical Objectives sheet.

- 4H counter at 0610 0511 0611 0711
- 1H counter at 0807
- 3H counter at 0810 0910 0911
- 2H counter at 1211 1311
- 3H counter at 1710 1709 1809 (port)
- 1H counter at 1109
- 3H counter at 1010 1111 1210
- 1H counter at 1505
- 1H counter at 1511
- 3H counter at 1606 1607 1608 (road)

As you may notice that some counters cover multiple hexes. To mark a single damaged hex part of a multiple hex counter, instead of flipping the whole counter, I suggeet using the damaged labels in ODE. In case of a destroyed hex, simply place a rubble counter over the hex.

Ok, and now let’s go to the army lists.

Last edited by Leonidas; 12-27-2017 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 12-27-2017, 07:41 AM   #38
Leonidas
Banned

Combine (attacker)

1 Mobile Howitzer
4 Missile Tanks
4 Heavy Tanks
3 GEV-PC
4 GEV
1 Superheavy Tank
25 INF squads
1 Mk IIII

Paneuropean (defender)

1 Howitzer
4 Missile Tanks
3 Heavy Tanks
3 GEV
1 Superheavy

20 INF

Pluse the defense has a Mk III which awakes at the beginning of Turn 5, in addition to the defenses as above (2 Laser Towers and 1 Strongpoint).

Use the Superheavy 13.07 optional rules, and optional rules for damaging terrain hexes as well.

I will make a final post about victory conditions for both sides.

Last edited by Leonidas; 12-27-2017 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 12-27-2017, 08:20 AM   #39
Leonidas
Banned

Ok. So here there is recap of VP for evaluating the outcome of the scenario.

The Attacker has a fielded total of 270 VP for his units.

The defender has a fielded total of 230 VP for his units.

Additionally, all the base hexes and defenses amount to a total of 230 VP.

I suggest that in counting VP, the attacker only gets 1/3 of VP for destroying defensive units, and full VP for destroying the base hexes and defensive structures. The defender does not add his VP for base hexes and defensive structures when calculating the final result of the battle.

Results of the battle are outlined as follows:

+\- 30 VP delta counts as an even mach.
+\- 100 VP delta counts as a marginal victory.
Over 100 VP delta counts as a decisive victory.

Ok. It was not as hard as I imagined.

Pleas let me know if any of this makes any sense at all. I really have fun in making my first step into designing a scenario. As I think it needs to be fully playtested by experienced players, suggestions and comments are more than welcome. Any hint can be very useful for me. I am really new to the game, and I do not want my enthusiasm to be of impediment in learning how to design scenarios.

I will try some solo play and let you know. I hope you will have as fun as we had.

Leonidas out for now.

Last edited by Leonidas; 12-30-2017 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 12-27-2017, 08:23 AM   #40
Desert Scribe

Thanks for posting this, Leonidas.

So the base consists of multiple-hex (flat) counters. Are these the counters from the Strategic and Tactical Objectives sheet?