Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 02-03-2019, 03:09 PM   #1
sparky00

Default Battlefields reskins

So I've had an opportunity to print out the Battlefields reskins for the Nightfall sheets and reskin a few counters.

A few initial impressions:

The reskins are gorgeous- the color on them is great.

There are many nice surprises on the sheets.

There are a LOT of counters! The Battlefields box will be a really impressive expansion with manufactured copies of all these sheets.

I've only done a few counters so far - some Sons of Old Nassau units, an Overrun counter, a couple terrain overlays and the ARF Admin building.

They are fun to do, but take a little time.

Progress pics thus far:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/4557062/sparky00

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/4557075/sparky00

thx, e
sparky00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 05:44 PM   #2
Oldgamer72

Default Re: Battlefields reskins

Nice. Did you use an Avery self adhesive label sheet and an inkjet or....?
Oldgamer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 08:46 PM   #3
sparky00

Normally, I would have used my inkjet, but the ODE-size counter sheets are 9.7 X 11.7", and my inkjet only goes to 8.5 X 11". They had to be printed at 100%- no scaling, so they would fit properly.

I had the reskin sheets laser printed on 11 X 17" glossy brochure paper and just glued them to the Nightfall counters with an Elmer's Xtreme glue stick.

The print quality was excellent and the fit was perfect. The glossy finish of the brochure paper matches the commercial counters very closely.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:28 AM   #4
Misplaced Buckeye

Just a quick question. I understand they are reskins but it seems such a terrible waste to use actual counters. Have you tried Chip board? I understand the edges might need some touch up up but it seems like it would work. I have a Brother scan n cut that would cut the right size shapes.
Misplaced Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 07:59 AM   #5
sparky00

Chipboard is definitely an option. I have used it to make other custom (Naval) counters.

I bought several Nightfall sets just for this purpose, so I'm using those.

Chipboard is very hard on cutting tools - it dulls edges quickly. For straight cuts, I use a Craftsman cutter that takes utility knife blades. It gives a very clean accurate cut.

Curves, however, are a challenge to cut accurately & cleanly.

I'm not familiar with the capabilities of your machine. If it can make accurate chipboard blanks, that's wonderful, & I'll certainly keep it in mind for future reskin projects.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:44 AM   #6
Oldgamer72

The Elmers glue stick seems to hold well enough, especially at the edges. My concern would be for the 3D units especially, I can see where those can be problematic. Mat board may be an option for counter material.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:20 PM   #7
sparky00

I've been quite impressed with the strength of the Elmer's Xtreme glue stick. I used it on the Hot Rod Mk V reskin, and it has held up fine.i usually use spray adhesive for paper laminations, but have been surprised at how well the glue stick does.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:25 PM   #8
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced Buckeye View Post
Just a quick question. I understand they are reskins but it seems such a terrible waste to use actual counters. Have you tried Chip board? I understand the edges might need some touch up up but it seems like it would work. I have a Brother scan n cut that would cut the right size shapes.
Well, maybe not chip-board, but foam core instead. The SnC could probably handle that better. I haven't checked to see the max mm thickness that can be put through it (or the Cricut Air, for that matter).
Old 02-04-2019, 01:39 PM   #9
Oldgamer72

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky00 View Post
I've been quite impressed with the strength of the Elmer's Xtreme glue stick. I used it on the Hot Rod Mk V reskin, and it has held up fine.i usually use spray adhesive for paper laminations, but have been surprised at how well the glue stick does.
I just looked and only have the Scotch permanent and Aleene's Tacky glue sticks. Might have to go pick up one of the Elmer's Extremes and give it a go. Thanks.

I may go your route and have some sheets printed out, inkjet ink is stupid expensive and I need it for Ebay. Instead of cracking into my Nightfall sheets, I may experiment with my Reinforcements counters. I bought one set and immediately thereafter found 3 sets, minus the MKVs on Ebay for next to nothing. Needless to say, counters are counters as long as the shape is right.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:40 PM   #10
sparky00

The Scotch & Arlene's glue sticks may work fine - don't know. Elmer's Xtreme is the only current glue stick I have experience with, and it has worked well for me. I've also used it to make maps with OgreMap 2 and mounted the prints on foamcore. Not as nice as the new playmats, but a fast, relatively easy way to make usable custom maps.

The Reinforcements sheets should give you most of the flat counter shapes. At least enough to try & determine if you want to proceed.

I was able to get color laser prints on 11 X 17 glossy brochure paper for less than $2 per page at Fedex Office. This becomes really cost-effective with full-color pages like the 3D & Nihon Empire sheets. make sure they print them at 100% of original size with no scaling.

I enjoy doing the reskins, and its a great way to get some new counters on the board.