Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 05-18-2018, 11:52 AM   #1
b-dog

Default Please make a DF companion to GURPS Silk Road

I really like GURPS Silk Road and I think it is a great setting for DF. I would especially like to have monster books for this setting complete with undead and spirits which are different with each culture on the road. Also a magic items book would be great too. Exotic culture and locations are really fun for me because I have run the standard orcs, ogres and trolls dungeons for a long time and they are a little boring now. Ideally I would love to have mythical versions of countries on the Silk Road. Like mythical China and India and even Arabia ( not a country I know but it seems to encapsulate the culture and beliefs to some degree). Ideas for how to use their religion would be great too and maybe some ideas on how to change the names of the gods. For example if people don’t like Vishnu or Shiva they could change the name to Schlorg or Goober to better fit their campaign. At he very least players could use the monsters and magic items even if they don’t want any exotic culture in their campaign.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:53 PM   #2
namada

Default Re: Please make a DF companion to GURPS Silk Road

There's a GURPS book for most of these subjects already. Certainly, I'd like to see them updated to 4E, filled with Character & Racial Templates, and the like, but I don't see why you should need a DF specific version of these books:
GURPS China, Arabian Nights, Undead, Spirits, Religion...

There was a GURPS India in production at some point which I'd like to have...

Last edited by namada; 05-18-2018 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Added links
namada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:31 AM   #3
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by namada View Post
There's a GURPS book for most of these subjects already. Certainly, I'd like to see them updated to 4E, filled with Character & Racial Templates, and the like, but I don't see why you should need a DF specific version of these books:

The books you listed are goof but the power level is too puny. The monsters in them would just be cannon fodder. And I would also like a book of exotic magic items that are powerful enough for DF PCs to want to use.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:17 AM   #4
namada

The power levels are usually pretty easily modified though. Double HP, double DR, double Damage - and the like.
namada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 11:50 AM   #5
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
I would also like a book of exotic magic items that are powerful enough for DF PCs to want to use.
While I would happily buy up a DF Silk Road supplement, in the interim it can be fun to simply re-skin magic items from the existing DF canon. Many of the items in Dungeon Fantasy Magic Items don't have much in the way of description anyway. So the various stones of power could easily become miniature statues of religious figures in Samarkand or celestial dragons or whatever fits the region you're in.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 03:23 PM   #6
Tom H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
. . . in the interim it can be fun to simply re-skin magic items from the existing DF canon. Many of the items in Dungeon Fantasy Magic Items . . .
Yes, I was going to make a similar recommendation.

Dungeon Fantasy Magic Items is pretty packed and comprehensive. There are only so many permutations of GURPS stats and effects that can be represented by items, and a lot is covered.

The only thing b-dog may be missing is starting with deeply themed artifacts that must be translated into one or more of the existing permutations. But like Dalin is implying, you can always apply this in reverse to get what you want.

I'm thinking right now, in general, more magic items would be overkill.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:12 PM   #7
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
Yes, I was going to make a similar recommendation.

Dungeon Fantasy Magic Items is pretty packed and comprehensive. There are only so many permutations of GURPS stats and effects that can be represented by items, and a lot is covered.

The only thing b-dog may be missing is starting with deeply themed artifacts that must be translated into one or more of the existing permutations. But like Dalin is implying, you can always apply this in reverse to get what you want.

I'm thinking right now, in general, more magic items would be overkill.
I am hoping for magic items that are culturally different than the standard DF assumptions. I like the idea that magic items work differently based on the culture and beliefs of the society they are made in. Maybe a Buddhist item could turn arrows into flowers or there could be a karmic shield that reverse the attacks toward the attacker instead of the person attacked. Or the item could be based on yin and yang instead of good and evil and so on. Plus the spirits and undead work very differently based on the cosmology that they were created in.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:34 PM   #8
Tom H.

Hey thanks, b-dog.

I was curious if you actually had some concepts, and you provided some.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:48 PM   #9
lachimba

Quote:

Probably DF versions of say "Undead" or "spirits" would sell better than vanilla GURPS.

Or at least they would sell better if they had a section on "using with DF"
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:22 PM   #10
lachimba

Quote:
Mythic is essentially DF, that is, high-powered gaming. (
I disagree even if there is some overlap.

There are all sorts of things id allow/diallow in DF versus say - a game where the PCs are over the top (250+ points) martial artists competing in judicial combat in a fantasy version of Indonesia where magic is returning.

Not to mention social advantages and tech level and so on.

Last edited by lachimba; 05-23-2018 at 04:25 PM.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote