Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2018, 02:08 PM   #1
Goldgardian
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Default Throw spell = Half damage?

So, I'm making a mage, and I'm planning on using throw spell (Gurps Magic 128) and according to this, and my GM, I do half damage with any damaging spells?

"Thrown spells have 1/2D n/a, Max 80,Acc 1; roll against DX-4 or Innate Attack skill to hit."

he's not the most experienced with magic, so he admits he could be wrong here, but what's the actual way it works? if he's right, I'm probably still gonna use it

(Also, just want to be sure, that Psychic Guidance Thaumatology: Magical styles Page-29 works with Throw spell)
Goldgardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 02:19 PM   #2
weby
 
weby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Default Re: Throw spell = Half damage?

No the N/A for spells means that it is not applicable and thus not applied. So your spells have normal effects to 80 yards.

But a general note that just using a missile spell is usually a better idea if you want to do damage.

As for the guidance. Depends on your GM, but by the wording of the throw spell it should, as throw spell makes the spell a missile spell. However you would need one perk for each spell you want to guide that way.
__________________
--
weby's gaming stuff: http://weby.roto.nu
weby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 02:22 PM   #3
Kelly Pedersen
 
Kelly Pedersen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Default Re: Throw spell = Half damage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldgardian View Post
So, I'm making a mage, and I'm planning on using throw spell (Gurps Magic 128) and according to this, and my GM, I do half damage with any damaging spells?

"Thrown spells have 1/2D n/a, Max 80,Acc 1; roll against DX-4 or Innate Attack skill to hit."
No, the "1/2D n/a" listing here means that the spell's half-damage range is the same as its Max range, and thus is never reduced by 1/2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldgardian
(Also, just want to be sure, that Psychic Guidance Thaumatology: Magical styles Page-29 works with Throw spell)
Personally, I wouldn't let Psychic Guidance work with Throw Spell - Psychic Guidance requires specialization by spell, and allowing it to work on any spell you happened to throw with Throw Missile is considerably more powerful than I think it's intended to be. I might let it work with a specific combination of Throw Spell and another spell, though. Something like Psychic Guidance (Throw Spell with Create Fire), for instance.
Kelly Pedersen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 03:01 AM   #4
kirbwarrior
 
kirbwarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Dreamland
Default Re: Throw spell = Half damage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
Personally, I wouldn't let Psychic Guidance work with Throw Spell - Psychic Guidance requires specialization by spell, and allowing it to work on any spell you happened to throw with Throw Missile is considerably more powerful than I think it's intended to be. I might let it work with a specific combination of Throw Spell and another spell, though. Something like Psychic Guidance (Throw Spell with Create Fire), for instance.
I would allow it for 5pts, I allow Psychic Guidance for all spells at 10pts and I think it's too expensive.

As for Throw Spells, there's no change, the spell happens exactly as it normally would at the target location.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfish View Post
While I do not think that GURPS is perfect I do think that it is more balanced than what I am likely to create by GM fiat.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
magic, throw spell

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.