Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-21-2018, 08:52 PM   #1
Otaku

Default [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#58): Fit, Very Fit

Previous Thread: Fearlessness, Unfazeable
Next Thread: Pending

If you're new to this series or just want to leave feedback about it, check out the Introduction Thread. If you need help finding something we've already discussed, johndallman is maintaining an index of which traits we've discussed. This is especially handy if the trait you are searching for happens to have been part of a multi-subject review.

Basic

Fit (p. B55)is a Mundane, Physical Advantage that grants +1 to all your HT rolls, as well as causing you to regain FP at twice the normal rate excluding FP lost to Spells, psi Abilities, etc. Very Fit (also p. B55) functions in the same way, but with a +2 bonus to HT rolls and you also lose FP at half the normal rate (for mundane forms of exertion). Both of these traits are intended to represent improved cardiovascular health. According to p. B294, Fit is an Advantage you can gain through study in game, after character creation; presumably, this is true of Very Fit.

Related Traits
  • Fatigue Point
  • Hard to Kill
  • Hard to Subdue
  • Health
  • Metabolism Control
  • Unfit
  • Very Unfit

Other Supplements
  • GURPS Martial Arts features numerous mentions of Fit and Very Fit, but almost entirely in Templates or Styles.
  • GURPS Powers brings up Fit and Very Fit under Resisting Abilities, on page 169.
  • GURPS Power-Ups 3: Talents mentions it as a potential Enabler or Prerequisite for a Talent.
  • GURPS Update only includes Fit and Very Fit in the list format, which means it can't have changed much, as well as showing the CP cost is the same for both traits between Editions.

Past Editions
Sure enough, we find Fit on page 25 and Very Fit on page 31 of Compendium I, in the section for new Mundane Advantages. Besides being split into two separate entries, the only other major difference is it is slightly less detailed; no comment indicating that this trait was about cardiovascular fitness. A further note is that the mechanics of Third Edition are different; prior to Fourth Edition, Fatigue Points were based on ST and Hit Points on Health.

Useful Links

Feel free to suggest any existing threads or other, appropriate links on this matter.

Discussion Starters

This is (usually) a generic list of questions for those who want to participate in the discussion but need a little help. If you already know what you want to say, feel free to skip these. ;)
  • Have you ever taken one of these traits for any of your PCs or NPCs?
  • Is there anything done really well by any or all of these traits?
  • Is there anything you think these traits could or should do differently?
  • Think any of related traits are necessary for proper discussion? Go ahead and bring them up, but remember that this is a thread focused on Fit, Very Fit, and Metabolism Control. :)
  • Any thoughts on how the 4e versions of these traits compare to their past edition counterparts?
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)

Last edited by Otaku; 04-24-2018 at 04:15 AM.
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 02:41 AM   #2
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#48): Fit, Very Fit

Very Fit, HT14 and Breath Control seem like a good way to approach marathon-running in GURPS. Also good for swimming in ice-cold water.

By its own, Fit is a pretty good deal; whether you want the second level will depend on how much you expect to track the various causes of mundane long-term FP loss (exhaustion, sleep deprivation, undereating etc.).
Old 04-22-2018, 03:09 AM   #3
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#58): Fit, Very Fit

I take Fit on many characters, simply for the advantage on death checks. An additional +1 HT is better value than Very Fit unless the campaign is going to feature lots of FP accounting, as Vicky says.

Could one of our kindly and athletic moderators correct the thread title? This is Advantage of the Week #58, not #48.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:01 AM   #4
Toptomcat

Fit is one of those amazingly good deals in CP terms: like Combat Reflexes and High Pain Tolerance, it’s near-mandatory for low-TL warriors.

I only put Very Fit on one character, a mage with Recover Energy 20. Very Fit doesn’t help recover FP spent on magic stuff, but Recover Energy does help recover FP spent on physical stuff, octupling recovery on net. They pulled down a Weapthy income digging ditches and doing other unskilled labor, in conjunction with their use of the Might spell to assist in farming and construction tasks in a low-tech colony without domesticated animals.

One odd little interaction of Fit/VF and the Running mechanics is that, in places, running calls for *either* a HT roll or a Running skill roll. Since Fit/VF add to HT rolls but not HT-based skill rolls, being Very Fit increases the amount by which you have to invest in the Running skill by quite a lot, if you want to actually see any benefit from it.

Last edited by Toptomcat; 04-22-2018 at 06:55 PM.
Toptomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 01:01 PM   #5
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#48): Fit, Very Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Very Fit, HT14 and Breath Control seem like a good way to approach marathon-running in GURPS. Also good for swimming in ice-cold water.

By its own, Fit is a pretty good deal; whether you want the second level will depend on how much you expect to track the various causes of mundane long-term FP loss (exhaustion, sleep deprivation, undereating etc.).
Not needed to shatter marathon records. Just have Ft 14, Move 6, and Running 16 to finish under 2 hours.

Very fit shouldn't have any effect on starvation or dehydration. I suppose by RAW they do though.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:15 PM   #6
Rupert

Fit is effectively an automatic pick for my players at the moment - if a character doesn't have it it's a sign that they're not expected to be getting in trouble and the point budget was very tight.

Very Fit is less common, and only taken for characters where being exceedingly fit is seen as conceptually reasonable as well as mechanically useful.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 05:51 PM   #7
Fred Brackin

I put Very Fit on a genetically engineered character but it was a very high pt game and was for "show". We tend not to do that sort of gaming.

When I was GM and made Nyx the Barbarian for a non-crunch-loving player I game her Very Fit and then (as GM) just remembered that Nyx never got tired. So this was mostly for "show" too.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:48 PM   #8
tanksoldier

Quote:
. Very fit shouldn't have any effect on starvation or dehydration
Fit people can actually be at a disadvantage when it comes to lack of food and water.

Fit doesn’t actually imply any body fat percentage, but in real life most fit people have a lower BF than non-fit people... and body fat helps sustain you when you miss meals or water breaks.

I agree that especially if it is cardio-respiratory based it should have no benefit to missing meals or sleep.

If it’s just a generic “ you’re better at resisting that stuff” then fine...

....and I take Fit on every character I make.
tanksoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:01 PM   #9
dripton

I love Fit but rarely actually take it on new characters. It comes down to Basic Speed breakpoints. If you're not near another whole number for Basic Speed, Fit is mostly +1 to HT for 5 points off. If you are near another whole number for Basic Speed, +1 HT is effectively +1 to Move and Dodge for only 5 points more than Fit.

But if I have 5 earned character points and nothing more obvious to spend them on, Fit is always a great buy.
dripton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:05 PM   #10
PTTG

I'm really reluctant to use Fit simply because I've never seen the need to clarify the difference between someone who's just really healthy (say, 13 HT) from someone who's slightly less healthy but also slightly more athletic (12 HT and Fit).
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantage, advantage of the week, fit, very fit, week, [basic]