Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-06-2017, 03:51 PM   #11
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Zip-lining, bungee jumping, trolleys and harnesses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
How does this skill interact with Knot-Tying, which starts to look awfully limited if it only includes, well, tying knots in old-fashioned rope?
It's more than that. There are Krommquotes about it in this thread.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 04:05 PM   #12
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
It's more than that. There are Krommquotes about it in this thread.
The thing where it can be used as a complementary skill to a bunch of other skills is the only thing I see in there. No actual knot-tying tasks except making a lariat and tying a cord across a path. (And the latter should be trivial at default...)

...Also, I think Knot-tying as complementary skill in those cases makes no sense, actually. Well, except the very last example mentioned. The ropework for Climbing, Freight Handling, Seamanship, and (where applicable) Traps is part of the basic use of the skill. Without some specific thing that Knot-tying does to help that, the 'complementary skill' bonus looks like it's giving people a cookie for having spent character points rather than actually representing anything.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:44 PM   #13
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
The thing where it can be used as a complementary skill to a bunch of other skills is the only thing I see in there. No actual knot-tying tasks except making a lariat and tying a cord across a path. (And the latter should be trivial at default...)
Being able to perform some trivial aspect of a skill faster and having a wider reportoire of tricks relating to it seem like precisely the things that justify a +1 bonus for a Complementary Skill.

Quote:
...Also, I think Knot-tying as complementary skill in those cases makes no sense, actually. Well, except the very last example mentioned. The ropework for Climbing, Freight Handling, Seamanship, and (where applicable) Traps is part of the basic use of the skill. Without some specific thing that Knot-tying does to help that, the 'complementary skill' bonus looks like it's giving people a cookie for having spent character points rather than actually representing anything.
Judging the reaction of others and adjusting to it is a part of the basic use of Influence skills, but I wouldn't object to using Psychology (Applied) as a Complementary Skill.

It seems to me that having a broader base of knowledge and experience is pretty much always helpful. I don't have any problem believing that the bosun's mate can get a +1 to his Climbing, Freight Handling and Seamanship for having a much wider reportoire of knots at his disposal than the carpenter's mate.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:54 PM   #14
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Being able to perform some trivial aspect of a skill faster and having a wider reportoire of tricks relating to it seem like precisely the things that justify a +1 bonus for a Complementary Skill.
I would say that having a separate skill set that does something outside of but helpful (even complementary) to the primary skill set is what justifies the +1 bonus for a complementary skill.
Quote:
Judging the reaction of others and adjusting to it is a part of the basic use of Influence skills, but I wouldn't object to using Psychology (Applied) as a Complementary Skill.

It seems to me that having a broader base of knowledge and experience is pretty much always helpful. I don't have any problem believing that the bosun's mate can get a +1 to his Climbing, Freight Handling and Seamanship for having a much wider reportoire of knots at his disposal than the carpenter's mate.
I would have a problem with 'no matter how good I am at tying the knots for freight handling, as represented by mastery of that skill, this other guy always gets +1 for being good at knots and I don't'.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:51 PM   #15
Icelander

Quote:
I would say that having a separate skill set that does something outside of but helpful (even complementary) to the primary skill set is what justifies the +1 bonus for a complementary skill.
Like having a wider repertoire of knots than a typical user of the skill.

Quote:
I would have a problem with 'no matter how good I am at tying the knots for freight handling, as represented by mastery of that skill, this other guy always gets +1 for being good at knots and I don't'.
So? If you have skill 17 and he has skill 15, you still end up being better at it.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:05 PM   #16
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Like having a wider repertoire of knots than a typical user of the skill.
Tying the knots appropriate to the skill falls within core usage. If those knots are useful, why aren't they included?

(In answer to your earlier thing about influence skills and Psychology (Applied), that skill doesn't cover adjusting to the reactions of others - it covers building and utilizing a model of their motives and personality. That's an add-on to bare Influence...)
Quote:
So? If you have skill 17 and he has skill 15, you still end up being better at it.
The bonus and lack thereof has to mean something.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:17 PM   #17
Icelander

Quote:
Tying the knots appropriate to the skill falls within core usage. If those knots are useful, why aren't they included?
Because most skills don't actually cover every single inter-disciplinary snippet of knowledge which might be useful.

Quote:
The bonus and lack thereof has to mean something.
Yeah, deep expertise in Seamanship (skill 17) and consequent mastery of the most common knots used vs. a wider field of knowledge as relates to knots, which adds somewhat to capability, but is generally not as useful at tasks relating to the specific skill as the deep expertise (skill 15 with a +1 complementary bonus).

Tags
climbing, knot-tying