Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-14-2015, 12:01 AM   #1
scorpion

Default Ran my First GURPS game ever...

This was a lot of fun, and I forgot how easy GURPS is once you relay. The "How to GM GURPS book was essential."

Had a few thoughts from it...

GURPS Lite is NOT Lite, it's just smaller. "How to GM GURPS" is GURPS Lite.

I played a little bit in 3rd Edition, but I played during the early MtG days, where gamers would often play to role play, but hey, Magic was easy. Funny way back into the hobby, when we were dating, my wife had rifled through a few of my books, found them interesting. When she got into Cosplay and wanted to explore a genre, she went and found a GURPS book, thinking it would be well researched... That led us to e23, a PDF, then the kids being interested... to I ran a game for them this past weekend...

I'm pretty sure that there is no point to my sharing this, except that I introduced a few new players to GURPS, and bought my first PDFs, and it wasn't horrible (I really prefer paper books). I do hope a POD solution is realized, the premium books are really gorgeous.

I can't tell you how many times I wanted to get back into this hobby and learning "all the rules" was scary, and "how to GM GURPS" made it not scary. I really hope that they figure out how to use some combination of the "how to GM GURPS" book and the "powered by GURPS" concept I saw here on the forums to put out some self contained "starter kits" for the hobby.

Great rule set, wonderfully written genre books, and an insanely intimidating "read 700 pages and spend 4 hours on character construction before you play a game" process... It really took be a dozen hours and "how to GM GURPS" before I realized how freaking simple the rules actually are, I always assumed that the GMs I played with had actual Eidetic memory. :)
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 01:10 AM   #2
smurf
Banned

Default Re: Ran my First GURPS game ever...

Well done.

For the 3d6 was easy and the add or minus modifiers.

Avoiding combat is fun too or that combat is an ambush. Normally combat is deadly.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 03:15 AM   #3
T.K.

Congrats!

As I assume you already realized, any doubts or insight I'm sure people around here in the forums can help you with!

"How to be a GURPS GM" is a much recent book, that brings forth the effort to explicit how the very core of GURPS is actually simple and the basics that you really need to focus.
T.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:37 AM   #4
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf View Post
Avoiding combat is fun too or that combat is an ambush. Normally combat is deadly.
That is as it should be. The wise warrior strives to avoid fair fights.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:25 AM   #5
Gold & Appel Inc

Witness me agreeing with Peter: Unless it's our guys doing the shooting and their guys doing the dying, we've screwed up somehow.

Welcome back to GURPS, scorpion.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:07 AM   #6
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
Witness me agreeing with Peter...

(SNIP)
The End Times are near.

And, I'll also welcome you back to GURPS, scorpion! You made it, just in time!
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:16 AM   #7
mook

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion View Post
I can't tell you how many times I wanted to get back into this hobby and learning "all the rules" was scary, and "how to GM GURPS" made it not scary.
Well, sir, thanks for making my week, no way it gets any better than reading that. :D

Glad to hear the game with your family went well. Welcome back to the fold!
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:38 AM   #8
Tinman

Welcome back.
I'm curious, what genre did you do for your game?
I GM a lot & find the templates from either Dungeon Fantasy or Action! to be very helpful.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:49 PM   #9
scorpion

Fantasy I suppose, but in terms of fantasy, I'd say more like "Renaissance Faire" level of fantasy.... so basically fake medieval... :)

My kids were spoiling for a fight, they got some. Daughter almost got seriously hurt by a Wild Boar.

They want more dungeon crawly stuff. Having fun, not worrying too much. I figure I'll run this for a few weeks, then try a martial arts/espionage game they're dying to play (but need the basics under my belt first).

I was looking at the Dungeon Fantasy games, but figured I'd play with the books that spent a decade on my shelf before buying more...
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:59 PM   #10
(E)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion View Post
My kids were spoiling for a fight, they got some. Daughter almost got seriously hurt by a Wild Boar...
Did a double take when I read that line
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurps, new player, pdf, pod, print on demand