Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-07-2017, 05:37 PM   #1
Lameth

Default Looking for an odd rule

I need to know how long a person can perform an action. The reason why is I have various rituals that use instruments and it says "for as long as you can play" does the effect last for. Well how long is that? How long can you drum? or play the flute? etc. thank you
Lameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 05:46 PM   #2
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Looking for an odd rule

Not an exhaustively explored subject in any GURPS sources that come to mind. Practically speaking in adventuring contexts that would usually mean 'until you need to stop playing so you can do something else'.

But barring interruptions, as far as GURPS rules go it's down to fatigue. Fatigue costs for most activities are not detailed, because it's not really expected to come up - but you definitely want to look at Basic p426 for some points of reference.

I'd say playing an instrument might be around the same exertion level as hiking if you're not doing anything too challenging, and potentially as hard as paced running in more intense cases. I've only got a little musical experience, though.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:53 PM   #3
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

My initial thought would be to assess encumbrance based fatigue penalties every ten minutes for most instruments.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:16 PM   #4
Purple Haze

The American Federation of Musicians requires a thirty minute break after each three hour session of playing. That suggests that under normal circumstances, three hours is not particularly difficult to do, and that thirty minutes should recover most of the fatigue.
Purple Haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:21 PM   #5
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
The American Federation of Musicians requires a thirty minute break after each three hour session of playing. That suggests that under normal circumstances, three hours is not particularly difficult to do, and that thirty minutes should recover most of the fatigue.
That would line up very well with fatigue as Hiking, assuming that musicians are generally not playing with encumbrance.

(Though on the other hand, I doubt you're supposed to have more than maybe three such sessions in a day, so some fatigue accumulation could be tolerated.)
Old 11-07-2017, 07:07 PM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
[random appearance] I'm Ghostdancer and I support this post. [/random appearance]

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:21 PM   #7
Lameth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
[random appearance] I'm Ghostdancer and I support this post. [/random appearance]
lol thanks
Lameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:22 PM   #8
AlexanderHowl

Since you do not see many musicians collapse on stage from fatigue at rock concerts that can last late into the night, that sounds about right.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:52 AM   #9
Mr_Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Since you do not see many musicians collapse on stage from fatigue at rock concerts that can last late into the night, that sounds about right.
Not the average musician, but the hardest working man in show business... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKNCySAvY5Y

:)
Mr_Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:57 AM   #10
Stormcrow

It depends a lot on the instrument and what you're playing. I play the horn, and I can last a lot longer playing quiet classical pieces than I can bombastic John Williams arrangements. With the latter, the lips become too fatigued to keep up the high notes. I find oompahs in marches to be fatiguing, because all those short notes don't let me exhale much, so I'm essentially holding my breath through each march.

Years ago, when I played the flute, the problem was not fatigued lips, but lightheadedness from too much exhaling, and losing circulation in my fingers from holding my hands up for too long. But the type of music didn't have as much impact.

But in general, several hours at least. A professional could no doubt go much longer. If it's particularly fatiguing music, though, the time is cut down a lot.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fatigue, musical instrument