Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-29-2018, 04:57 PM   #91
Oneiros

Default Re: Hex & Chit Scaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyratejohn View Post
By how many hash marks I've made next to the character's ST.
Great! And for the rest of the players/GM who need to know visually there's a dead body on the floor, and not just a prone character?
Oneiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 05:12 PM   #92
Oneiros

Hmm. I didn't know these existed until Phil brought it up on the KS thread (didn't follow the new Ogre edition and KS):

http://www.warehouse23.com/products/...assic-counters

Maybe TFT Classic Counters and/or maps could happen, too.
Oneiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 05:48 PM   #93
JLV

Considering that they're only selling a few copies per month (I'd guess) and still have a large quantity five years AFTER the kickstarter, I got the impression he was more like indicating they wouldn't want to do them, but maybe I misread his response...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 06:55 PM   #94
GlennDoren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiros View Post
Great! And for the rest of the players/GM who need to know visually there's a dead body on the floor, and not just a prone character?
Maybe I’m reading this wrong, but... may wanna ease up a little. Seems like you’re gettin’ a little prickly.
GlennDoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:09 PM   #95
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiros View Post
Hmm. I didn't know these existed until Phil brought it up on the KS thread (didn't follow the new Ogre edition and KS):

http://www.warehouse23.com/products/...assic-counters

Maybe TFT Classic Counters and/or maps could happen, too.
The main reason I posted the image showing the Ogre classic counters was to show what 1" counters look like in a 1.5" hex to give some perspective to what larger TFT counters would look like.

Having spent the last 5 years with ODE, there is definitely more of a challenge to find table space with a larger map.
Old 07-30-2018, 01:34 AM   #96
schoon

Personally, I prefer a larger hex size.

In instances where you have two combatants / items in the same hex, it makes it far easier to manage.
schoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:27 PM   #97
Nils_Lindeberg

Bigger is better.

But I would like to see bigger 1 hex counters too, especially if we can get writable plastic or UV covered ones.

And please remove the asymmetrical counters. D&D had long and tall monster sizes back in the day too, but they left that behind many years ago. And I for one have not looked back.

A 7-hex fighting dragon needs space around it just like a person. And they do have wings that should cover half the room anyways. So change them to a MH dragon instead. Soo much easier to handle. And it would solve half of the problem with size since it would be possible to center a smaller counter on a bigger playing mat if needed.

I am a little bit on the fence about 2-hex creatures like horses, but still, in a fight they would turn around and kick and bite in all directions if they were warhorses. But sure, harnessed to a wagon they probably should be 2-hexes only. But the same goes for people pressed together in a shield wall. Usually one needs more space to fight than to just walk or stand.

And I am sorry for you guys that have large collections of counters. But over all, I think that more people today have large collections or I should say huge collections of minis. And those cost a lot more and many have painted ones. To ignore all those new potential customers would be a mistake I think. And most likely the people that have large collection of TFT counters, will buy this KS anyways, they are already TFT gamers. But we want more people to discover this wonderful game, so appeal to them first.

And as many have said before. If you have large collections of counters, you probably already have a bunch of maps too to go with them.
Nils_Lindeberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:38 PM   #98
Rick_Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nils_Lindeberg View Post
And as many have said before. If you have large collections of counters, you probably already have a bunch of maps too to go with them.
Hi Nils,
Well as others have pointed out you get fewer counters with the larger hexes. If the counter sheet is 5.5 by 8.5 inches, (what will fit into SJ Game's small boxes), you get 2/3 as many if you go from 1 inch to 1.25 inch counters.

People have the choice of 1 inch hexes and (say) 200 counters or 1.25 inch hexes and 133 counters. The larger hexes means that we are likely to get fewer and smaller multi hex creatures (we need the space for the basic 1 hex figures).

Other people have been unhappy because they have limited table space and a lot of that space is already used for character sheets and the like.

Those who like big hexes are ALREADY getting the 1.5 inch hexes in the "I want it all" version.

This seems like a lot of negatives for a very minor increase in size.

Warm regards, Rick

Last edited by Rick_Smith; 07-30-2018 at 02:43 PM.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:55 PM   #99
larsdangly

I'm not sure what the limits are to the minimum and maximum sizes of hexes for games like this, but I feel like both 1" and 1.5" are in the acceptable design space, and the mixture of preferences expressed here suggest that is true (i.e., there is no consensus that one or the other is crazy). In a case like that, I think the designer should just go with whatever he or she prefers, and let people respond as they see fit.

My guess is that in the fulness of time no one will be able to remember what we were talking about; assuming the game does well enough to have a few follow up products, there will be a lot of new materials that all go together and the larger scale will quickly get normalized.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:46 PM   #100
Nils_Lindeberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
Hi Nils,
Well as others have pointed out you get fewer counters with the larger hexes. If the counter sheet is 5.5 by 8.5 inches, (what will fit into SJ Game's small boxes), you get 2/3 as many if you go from 1 inch to 1.25 inch counters.

Other people have been unhappy because they have limited table space and a lot of that space is already used for character sheets and the like.

Those who like big hexes are ALREADY getting the 1.5 inch hexes in the "I want it all" version.

This seems like a lot of negatives for a very minor increase in size.
Fewer counters would be a negative of course, but I will most likely use minis, unless the counters themselves are writeable.

Table space is a non issue for me. Sure I have some games that are too big for my normal table but we always seems to manage somehow. And you could always put a larger piece of wood on the table if you need the extra space. And today most RPGs with minis have a lot bigger maps from Chessex and the like and melee/Wizard maps are very small in comparison.

I am mostly irritated with the old counters being just a little too big for the old small maps so it is hard to change facing and move around without a lot of fiddly adjustments afterwards. And my hand to eye coordination has not improved over the years.

But it is in no way a deal breaker for me and shouldn't be for anyone that are on these forums. But having erasable game mats, maybe some simple terrain, pens that work well with the mats and hopefully the counters themselves being erasable would definitely do it for me. Pens should definitely be included as an add on.

If terrain hexes or fences, trees, bushes, road, mud/ice, boulders, walls, etc was to be included it would be nice too. Maybe with some rules written on them. Like No LOS, cover, broken ground MA cost, test to jump a fence, higher grounds, ladders, house, etc. And the terrain counters could be neutrally marked/decorated and mostly be symbolic to represent rules. And they could be double sided. It is fast to draw a map with pens, but it is even faster to just scatter a few terrain features on the map, adjust them a little and voila a random scene in the forest. And with the rules written on them you wouldn't even have to describe that this is bush with these rules and this is a tree with these rules and so on. It would make for really fast play and set up.
Nils_Lindeberg is offline   Reply With Quote