Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 12-08-2019, 08:46 PM   #1
Bestial Warlust

Default failed casting roll ST cost

I've been giving the rules a read again and I'm not seeing ST loss for a failed casting. I know if you roll a 16 you lose full stamina but I thought I remember reading that a failure otherwise means you only lose 1 ST is that correct or am I mis remembering?

****I found what I missed it was in the text of creation and thrown spells.

Last edited by Bestial Warlust; 12-08-2019 at 09:38 PM.
Bestial Warlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:34 AM   #2
Skarg

Default Re: failed casting roll ST cost

Yeah, it's 1 for most spells, with some exceptions, mainly the ones that do something even when you fail the casting, such as missile spells, or "detection" spells since the GM makes the roll and failure means you get inaccurate information, and only charging you 1 ST for that would give away that the information is inaccurate.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:38 AM   #3
hcobb

Note only on a "break weapon" result would you be charged the full ST cost for a failed spell (missile spells can miss, but never fail to activate). Also note that Staff II+ suffers no ill effect from a break weapon result from an occult strike as per ITL 135, so there is no chance of falling over. Also you can't fall over when attempting a missile spell.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:08 PM   #4
Helborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Note only on a "break weapon" result would you be charged the full ST cost for a failed spell (missile spells can miss, but never fail to activate). Also note that Staff II+ suffers no ill effect from a break weapon result from an occult strike as per ITL 135, so there is no chance of falling over. Also you can't fall over when attempting a missile spell.

It's not just a failed occult strike - the Staff is immune to Break Weapon (ITL 23)