Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-05-2018, 06:35 AM   #71
Nils_Lindeberg

Default Re: What happens if you have an action that lowers your DX on your turn?

I think the RAW about speed for missile weapons and secondary attacks should be changed.

RAW says that you can ignore range modifiers only, but not cover penalties, aim bonuses, darkness, or other stuff, when it comes to when you act. This should be made clearer and include more things, at least cover and darkness penalties should be ignored as well.

AdjDX for multiple shots should follow the same calculation as turn order adjDX, that is, it should ignore range penalties (and others) as well. I think this is RAI, but it definitely is not RAW. This should be clarified as well. And maybe a note on what happens if you adjDX get lowered and falls under the 2nd shot threshold after the first shot was fired, due to a wound or a modifier that is not range, cover or otherwise explicitly mentioned exceptions. The second shot should then be cancelled.

I always thought that adjDX 18 after negative modifiers to get a second shot was a harsh prereq. And it also meant that as soon as someone could shoot two shots they would both almost always hit. A very strange side effect.

I would also allow aim bonuses to last for the whole turn. The reason being that it is a general preparation action and you could prepare for a double shot just as easily as to prepare for a better aimed shot. Having your second arrow in hand in different ways as was done historically or sticking them into the ground in front of you, etc. This would also mean that you wouldn't always fire two shots if you adjDX was close to the threshold. It opens up some character builds with different adjDX.
Nils_Lindeberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:40 AM   #72
Rick_Smith

Default Re: Defending

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nils_Lindeberg View Post
... The only problem I see is the big critter declaring his attack. Player responds that he will Defend. The Defend action takes effect before the attack, so the critter changes his mind to attack someone else that doesn't defend. And the first player feels he is a little bit cheated since he lost his attack and the critter still hits someone without any penalties. But a quick house rule that if you activate Defend against a particular attack, it happens simultaneously so the attacker can't change his mind.
Hi Nils, everyone.
That never happens in the campaigns around here because the big critter actually has to attack you, to lock in the defend option. Until someone pays the penalty caused by your defending, you have not taken that option.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 10:59 AM   #73
Skarg

Default Re: Defending

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
That never happens in the campaigns around here because the big critter actually has to attack you, to lock in the defend option. Until someone pays the penalty caused by your defending, you have not taken that option.
Yep, that's how we do/did it too. When a figure's turn to actually act comes and they declare an action, they can no longer change their mind - they're doing it. People can react that to that by defending or dodging.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote