Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 01-20-2014, 01:28 AM   #1
James Darby

Default Autoduel Quaterly Vol 6. No3

Happy New Year All.
"Brothers In Arms" 'A Car Wars Solo Adventure' On page 23 section 68 my Semi has encountered four trikes. All are stock Vulcans (Vehicle Guide 2, p. 8) and a pickup which is a stock Frontier. (Vehicle Guide 2, p. 29).

Somehow I don't have Vehicle Guide 2 and I have been unable to find the stats on the Vulcan Trike and the Frontier pickup.

I shall be most grateful for those stats.
With thanks
James.
James Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:24 AM   #2
nidan71

Default Re: Autoduel Quaterly Vol 6. No3

You could always design your own.
Figure 10-20K for each trike and 15K for the pickup, depending on the budget level the scenario was written for.

It's a shame the scenario author couldn't reprint the design specs in the footnote section.

Drive offensively,

Curt
nidan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:36 AM   #3
howitzer7

Do you happen to have a spare $5.00?

http://e23.sjgames.com/item.html?id=SJG30-7128
Old 01-20-2014, 08:44 AM   #4
Parody

You could also pick up VG2 from e23 for $5.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:50 AM   #5
juris

I won't reprint stuff from the $5 VG2 but...

The Vulcan isn't anything special - it's an OR heavy trike with no armor and... two vulcans that costs about 13.5K

The Frontier is an OR cargo pickup with a RR that costs about 37K.

You could do much better using the stock cars from AM's vehicle builder:

Lord V -- Extra-Heavy Trike, Extra-Heavy chassis, Off-Road suspension, Super Trike power plant w/PC & SC, 10-pt CA (Power Plant), Fire Extinguisher, 3 Motorcycle Off-Road Solid tires, Driver w/TC and BA and 10-pt CA, Vulcan Machine Guns Left and Right each w/10-pt CA, Brushcutter, Plastic Armor: F32, L30, R30, B30, T24, U10, 1 10-pt Cycle Wheelguard Front, 2 10-pt Wheelguards Back, Gear Allocation: [52 lbs.], Acceleration 5, Top Speed 90, HC 2, 4088 lbs., $19996 (add dischargers or a few more points of armor)

Costs a bit more than the Vulcan but is much better

Longhorn -- Pickup, Extra-Heavy chassis, Off-Road suspension, Super power plant, Fire Extinguisher, 6 Off-Road Puncture-Resistant tires, Driver w/SWC and BA, Recoilless Rifle in Turret w/extra magazine and magazine switch and 10 shots HEAT and 10 shots Normal, Heavy-Duty Shocks, Roll Cage, Brushcutter, Long-Distance Radio, Armored Beer Fridge, Plastic Armor: F32, L30, R30, B30, T35, U12, 2 10-pt Wheelguards Back, 2 10-pt Wheelhubs Front, Cargo: [9 spaces plus 60 beverages, 906 lbs. @ Top Speed 90], Acceleration 5, Top Speed 97.5, HC 1, 6894 lbs., $24433

Costs much less, twice the cargo, about the same weapons and MUCH more personality ;)
juris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:59 PM   #6
swordtart

There will be other encounters that will also reference different vehicles in VSG2.

VSG2 designs are not always legal (but can be fun) so you might be better choosing stock designs from other sources.

Juris description of the Vulcan is a little unflattering, it does carry some armour (67 points) and unlike most of the trikes in VSG1 it does at least take advantage of the trikes ability to link side weapons - under the old rules with a basic rather than smart link (twin Vulcans is pretty nasty even against a rig).

The Lord V is better, but then it costs over $6K more than the Vulcan and doesn't have an almost everlasting smoke screen. It's Vulcans also aren't linked which makes them less useful.

Last edited by swordtart; 01-20-2014 at 03:47 PM.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:06 PM   #7
juris

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post

The Lord V is better, but then it costs over $6K more than the Vulcan and doesn't have an almost everlasting smoke screen. It's Vulcans also aren't linked which makes them less useful.
Oversight, spend $50 :) - or downgrade the tires:

Lord V -- Extra-Heavy Trike, Extra-Heavy chassis, Off-Road suspension, Super Trike power plant w/PC & SC, 10-pt CA (Power Plant), Fire Extinguisher, 3 Motorcycle Off-Road Steelbelted Puncture-Resistant tires, Driver w/TC and BA and 10-pt CA, Vulcan Machine Guns Left and Right each w/10-pt CA, Brushcutter, Link (both VMGs), Plastic Armor: F32, L30, R30, B30, T30, U10, 1 10-pt Cycle Wheelguard Front, 2 10-pt Wheelguards Back, Acceleration 5, Top Speed 90, HC 2, 4136 lbs., $19422

About 6K more but with twice as much armor and tire and fire protection

Last edited by juris; 01-20-2014 at 05:17 PM.
juris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:18 PM   #8
howitzer7

Quote:
Originally Posted by juris View Post
Oversight, spend $500 :)
That requires a smartlink. FYP. :)
Old 01-20-2014, 10:27 PM   #9
James Darby

Hi Nidan 71,
I have already designed my $150k Prime Mover incorporating a Motorbike/side car and outfitted six volunteers.
There are four 'Vulcan' trikes and one 'Frontier' pick up who have ambushed my Rig.
I am not about to invent my own stats for these attacking vehicles and will only use the original stats. I agree with you that it would have been helpful to have the stats in the senerio. Maybe the author figured I would design my own ambush vehicles to attack my self?
With thanks
James
Hi Howitzer 7,
Thank you for your concern about my financial situation, I have now spent $150,00 on a Semi, a Trailer and an outfit (Motorbike/sidecar) and outfitted six 30 point men. Apart from a deer hanging off my fender I am out of dough and time.
With thanks
James
Hi Parady,
Thank you for following the theme. Two for the price of two will save someone from stating me up.
With thanks James.
Hi The Juris,
Thanks for printing the stats out for a Lord V and a Longhorn. I really expect a Democrat will find them useful. The request actually went out for the stats on a Vulcan Trike and a Frontier.
With thanks
James
Hi Swordtart,
Thankyou for you input comparing the Lord V with the Vulcan. After i find out what the stats for a Vulcan and Frontier are you may care to run the Ambush against my Rig.
Best sheathing and thanks
James
James Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:08 AM   #10
swordtart

Hi James:

I played BIA with my brother and some of his friends a year or so ago and they also ran out of cash in short order. My brother spent every cent on equipment and had nothing for repairs, tolls, or any running expenses he should reasonably have expected.

The scenario does mislead you as to your task though which is interesting.

I made a few notes on the scenario as I ran it (rather than doing it as a solo). It meant that I checked some of the inconsistencies (one of the paragraphs misdirects you). Even after reading the whole thing there were some unanswered questions.

I later expanded on the whole thing into a Florida based trucking campaign (to be honest my Brothers group didn't even complete the BIA scenario in the end as they got side-tracked into running cargos to pay for repairs after one encounter that they messed up royally.

If you are interested once you finish it (or you want my google map based versions of the main town (plus my expanded rationale for the whole thing), PM me.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frontier pickup, stats, vulcan trike