Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-21-2013, 04:00 AM   #41
NineDaysDead
Banned

Default Re: [Movie Supers] Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
Thanks, I missed that. Probably due to my natural hated of the advantage :)
??? What advantage?
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:04 AM   #42
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDJ View Post
That's what I'm saying to do. Purchase one Alternate Form. That would be something like two thousand points.

Then, on top of that, purchase a Modular Ability (Iron Man suit Alternate Forms only, -x#) for a low price. Then you can switch to different suits with that MA.

That way you don't end up paying out the nose for new abilities every time Tony invents another suit. All he has to do is take one off and put the new one on and that uses his MA to give him a new Alternate Form.
I don't know that it's strictly speaking legal, but how about Modular Ability (Only for Alternate Abilities to X, -Y%)?
Old 02-21-2013, 09:08 AM   #43
ErhnamDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
I don't know that it's strictly speaking legal, but how about Modular Ability (Only for Alternate Abilities to X, -Y%)?
That's legal. I've done that one before with supers. The problem with it is that it's going to be so much more expensive than the Alternate Form route.

If we need to swap out a thousand points' worth of abilities, then that's two hundred points as an AA. If we can get our Modular Ability down to two points a level, then that still costs us four hundred points. Just for the ability to swap out suits like that. And I don't know how much point variance we're looking at for Tony's different suits. It might be closer to two thousand, at which point we'd need to spend eight hundred points on that Modular Ability.

You see now why I prefer Alternate Form. You might save upwards of six hundred points.

My blog.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:32 AM   #44
Langy

Quote:
That's legal. I've done that one before with supers. The problem with it is that it's going to be so much more expensive than the Alternate Form route.
Pretty certain that that isn't legal, Ernham.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:33 AM   #45
ErhnamDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Pretty certain that that isn't legal, Ernham.
Oh? Why not?

I remember researching it before I did it, and none of the threads it came up in had any reason why you couldn't do it.

My blog.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:06 AM   #46
naloth

Quote:
Oh? Why not?

I remember researching it before I did it, and none of the threads it came up in had any reason why you couldn't do it.
Alternate Form is already a form of a modular ability where each copy of the base advantage is a slot and your point pool is 90% of the cost of the highest form. To swap out the whole ability you can't just pay for a piece of it. At the very least, it should be a separate AF "set" with a separate assessed cost for total of the base advantage plus the 90% of the template you can adopt.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:08 AM   #47
ErhnamDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
Alternate Form is already a form of a modular ability where each copy of the base advantage is a slot and your point pool is 90% of the cost of the highest form. To swap out the whole ability you can't just pay for a piece of it. At the very least, it should be a separate AF "set" with a separate assessed cost for total of the base advantage plus the 90% of the template you can adopt.
That's not what we're talking about. We're talking about purchasing alternative abilities with a modular ability. Not Alternate Form.

My blog.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:16 AM   #48
Langy

Quote:
Oh? Why not?

Mainly because you're basically defining the Modular Ability as an Alternative Ability itself. Sure, you can stick Modular Ability as an Alternative Ability of something, but I'd never allow you to purchase a Modular Ability outside of an alternative ability and then use it to create an alternative ability of something else. It's either fully an alternative ability or it is not.

Also: Just like how you can't take Alternate Form as an Alternative Ability, I wouldn't allow you to create an Alternate Form from Modular Abilities.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:31 AM   #49
ErhnamDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Mainly because you're basically defining the Modular Ability as an Alternative Ability itself. Sure, you can stick Modular Ability as an Alternative Ability of something, but I'd never allow you to purchase a Modular Ability outside of an alternative ability and then use it to create an alternative ability of something else. It's either fully an alternative ability or it is not.
So we can purchase the Modular Ability itself as an alternative ability? Well, that works out to the same price, doesn't it?

I'm not saying I agree with your reasoning, but it doesn't result in anything other than slightly different accounting.

Quote:
Also: Just like how you can't take Alternate Form as an Alternative Ability
Can you purchase Alternate Form with a Modular Ability?

My blog.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:27 AM   #50
Langy

Quote:
So we can purchase the Modular Ability itself as an alternative ability? Well, that works out to the same price, doesn't it?

I'm not saying I agree with your reasoning, but it doesn't result in anything other than slightly different accounting.
It can dramatically alter the price - let's say you have a 100 point ability and want to create a modular ability that can allow you to purchase a full 100-point alternative ability off of that 100 point base ability.

Let's say we're using Cosmic Modular Ability, costing 10 points per point of ability.

The way you're talking about doing it would be built like this:

Base Ability [100]
Cosmic Modular Ability 20 [200]

For a total cost of 300 points, but I wouldn't allow it at all.

The way I'd allow it is one of two possibilities:

Base Ability [100]
-Alternative Ability: Cosmic Modular Ability 10 [20]

For 120 points, but only giving me access to 10 points of modular ability-ness.

Or:

Cosmic Modular Ability 100 [1000]
-Alternative Ability: Base Ability [20]

For 1,020 points, but giving me access to 100 points of modular ability-ness.

Quote:
Can you purchase Alternate Form with a Modular Ability?
I wouldn't allow it, no. That's basically what Morph is supposed to be.

Tags
avengers, breakable, iron man, marvel, stark, supers