Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 01-21-2014, 10:38 AM   #11
juris

Default Re: Autoduel Quaterly Vol 6. No3

Quote:
Originally Posted by howitzer7 View Post
That requires a smartlink. FYP. :)
Nope:

Any target in the front arc of fire can be hit by weapons mounted on
both sides as well as the front! Right-side and left-side weapons can
be linked together, or linked with front weapons, and aimed together
for fire at targets in this front arc. The linked weapons must be of the
same type, or only one can be aimed, and the rest are treated as if they
were on automatic.

CWC p. 74 (Trike arc of fire) - A normal link will do ya :)
juris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:43 AM   #12
juris

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Darby View Post
Hi The Juris,
Thanks for printing the stats out for a Lord V and a Longhorn. I really expect a Democrat will find them useful. The request actually went out for the stats on a Vulcan Trike and a Frontier.
With thanks
James
James
True, but without an armored beer fridge your scenario just isn't as fun ;)
Old 01-21-2014, 11:40 AM   #13
swordtart

I agree with Juris.

I am fairly certain the trike (1984?) and it's unique fire arcs pre-dates the smart-link (1988).

The additional comments regarding linking weapons would be redundant if you had to use a smart-link as any vehicle can smart link its front and side weapons if it wants to (though how often that would be useful is another matter).

I think the matter was confused by an ADQ&A answer once (Pyramid 8?), but that was often the case and best ignored.

And who remembers the following (from the VG1 trike design rules)

A tricycle may mount any weapon to the front or in a turret. However, recoil problems occur when heavy weapons are side-mounted. The only offensive weapons a trike can mount to the side are MGs, FTs, lasers, and rockets of all kinds.

A tricycle may not mount dropped weapons anywhere but to the rear; side-mounted dropped weapons would endanger the vehicle. Side-mounted paint sprays and smokescreens are legal but impractical. Exception: A reversed trike may mount dropped weapons to the sides.

To the allowed weapons we should also add all flavours of recoilless weapons (RR and blast cannon).

Was this officially discontinued or just overlooked?
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:26 PM   #14
juris

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post

And who remembers the following (from the VG1 trike design rules)

A tricycle may mount any weapon to the front or in a turret. However, recoil problems occur when heavy weapons are side-mounted. The only offensive weapons a trike can mount to the side are MGs, FTs, lasers, and rockets of all kinds.

A tricycle may not mount dropped weapons anywhere but to the rear; side-mounted dropped weapons would endanger the vehicle. Side-mounted paint sprays and smokescreens are legal but impractical. Exception: A reversed trike may mount dropped weapons to the sides.

To the allowed weapons we should also add all flavours of recoilless weapons (RR and blast cannon).

Was this officially discontinued or just overlooked?
Seems like the stuff about no-side-mounted-weapons on a trike was dropped (heh) because it doesn't appear in the CWC2.5 - which was supposed to be the definitive rule. Of course 'revising' rules by omitting them is a pretty haphazard way of doing business (I'm looking at you front-mounted flamethrower), which is why the 'compendium' is a misnomer.

However, trikes need all the help they can get - they have crap armor even with X-hvy chassis. The biggest drawback is that their roof can be targeted (at -2) from the front and side, so all trikes need decent roof armor like they had a turret.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:40 PM   #15
sum1els

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
The term "recoilless" is actually kind of relative. Not sure if this would count as a BC rather than an RR, but: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjpC9H99MLw
sum1els is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:42 PM   #16
sum1els

Also, the backblast goes somewhere. This is what happens if you don't open your tailgate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtAqD9_oOEY
Old 01-21-2014, 03:58 PM   #17
juris

I vaguely recall David Drake (the author) had a problem with Car Warriors for this reason

Fusion tanks with plasma cannons = cool
RR on a subcompact = unrealistic

;)
Old 01-21-2014, 04:54 PM   #18
James Darby

Hi All, I am now in possession of the stats for the Vulcan Trike and the overweight Frontier thanks to an email I received from a generous hearted concerned citizen who could not stand the idea of my six volunteer crew being stuck in a time warp. I shall pull the 200lbs extra weight off by reducing the 40U armour. When I do receive the VG2 I purchased I shall pop the stats up here so I will not be breaching copyright.

My plan is to capture all five attacking vehicles with my $150k rig.
James Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:50 PM   #19
sum1els

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Darby View Post
When I do receive the VG2 I purchased I shall pop the stats up here so I will not be breaching copyright.
I don't think owning the book grants you permission to reprint it.

Tags
frontier pickup, stats, vulcan trike