Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 01-23-2011, 04:29 PM   #1
Genpin

Default Persistent curses! vs wishing ring

Let's say that you have a chiken on your head affecting your rolls, can you cancel it using a wishing ring or the only way to remove the curse is fullfilling the instructions on the card?

I remember reading in this forum that the only persistent curses (when they're already affecting a munchkin) that can be lifted by a wishing ring are the ones with no other "cancelling clauses" explained it in their text (like "big feet"), but, i cannot see to find the thread from wich i recall this...

Please help!
MIB #6311 - Buenos Aires, Argentina
Genpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
smoothhands

Default Re: Persistent curses! vs wishing ring

Doesn't the Wishing Ring card say on it that it can cancel a curse at any time? I don't have it in front of me so I'm not sure on that. The only curse I know of that can't be immediately canceled with a Wishing Ring is Malign Mirror, and that's only because of the specific wording on the card ("use a Wishing Ring before the next battle").
smoothhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:38 PM   #3
StaticHamster

A Wishing Ring can remove a curse and its effects at anytime.

So things like Big Feet, Tiny Hands and Chicken on your Head can be removed by a wishing ring even though after they have hit and are persistent.

There is only one exception to this that I know of. Sex Change. The effects of the Sex Change curse can be canceled only at the time that the Curse is played. After it has taken effect the change is permanent. Playing a Wishing Ring afterwards can remove the -5 if you haven't been in combat but it can't revert you back to your original sex.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:42 AM   #4
thedag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genpin View Post
Let's say that you have a chiken on your head affecting your rolls, can you cancel it using a wishing ring or the only way to remove the curse is fullfilling the instructions on the card?

I remember reading in this forum that the only persistent curses (when they're already affecting a munchkin) that can be lifted by a wishing ring are the ones with no other "cancelling clauses" explained it in their text (like "big feet"), but, i cannot see to find the thread from wich i recall this...

Please help!
So what does chicken on your head say? All I remember is that it says any curse that removes your headgear will remove the chicken. That is not of itself a "cancelling clause" but rather there for clarification. So if there is nothing else then yes a wishing ring would get rid of it.
thedag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:03 AM   #5
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

A Wishing Ring will remove Chicken on Your Head.

There are some Curses and Traps that can't be removed with a Wishing Ring once they have taken effect, such as Antimatter from Star Munchkin. Their text will say explicitly that there is ONLY one way to get rid of the Curse/Trap effect. (Antimatter, for instance, says, "Nothing else will reduce or remove the penalty [once it takes effect], and there is no other way to get rid of the item.")

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:38 PM   #6
Genpin

Thanks Guys, and thank you Andrew, to answer this simply but touchy topic for me :P
MIB #6311 - Buenos Aires, Argentina
Genpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:57 PM   #7
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Happy to help, Genpin!

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:39 AM   #8
Moldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
A Wishing Ring will remove Chicken on Your Head.

There are some Curses and Traps that can't be removed with a Wishing Ring once they have taken effect, such as Antimatter from Star Munchkin. Their text will say explicitly that there is ONLY one way to get rid of the Curse/Trap effect. (Antimatter, for instance, says, "Nothing else will reduce or remove the penalty [once it takes effect], and there is no other way to get rid of the item.")
but you said it allowed to use Annihilation on Antimatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
Because I want to be as clear as I can be about this:

A Curse, Trap, or other card that says "keep this card in front of you as a reminder" is NOT in play for purposes of Annihilation, Bad Feng Shui, or anything else that targets cards in play.

A Curse, Trap, or other card that has a persistent, dispellable effect, such as Chicken on Your Head or Antimatter, IS in play for those purposes.

It's the difference between the card itself being the effect and the card just being a reminder of the effect. I freely concede that this is a very subtle difference.
is it so for now? and if I annihilate Antimatter card, will item restore to normal? (same question about Cursed Thingy)

Tags
curse, wishing ring