Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-19-2018, 04:50 PM   #1
coronatiger

Default Super Climbing speed without Clinging

Super Climbing (p B89) gives you +1 Move (per level) when climbing or using the Clinging advantage.

Clinging (p B43) lets you move on walls and ceilings at half your Basic Move (without rolling vs Climbing, but that's irrelevant to the question), so every 2 levels of Super Climbing would increase the wall move by 1.

My upcoming character won't have Clinging, but I consider Super Climbing. So I read up on the climbing rules (p B349), and see a table describing different types of climb and how fast you climb. But as far as I can see, you don't use your BM to determine climbing speed, so having Super Climbing doesn't actually help. You could have a hundred levels of Super Climbing, and still only move 1 foot per second when climbing a tree (in combat).

According to the rules for Time Spent (p B346), I can make haste and have the climbing take 10% less time per -1 I take on the roll (up to -9).

I'm sure I'm missing something. Can someone help me interpret the rules?

1. How does Super Climbing affect climbing speed when I don't have Clinging?
2. How does Super Climbing interact with making haste?

Character sheet: Google Drive link (See this thread for details.)

Campaign logs: Chaotic Pioneering / Confessions of a Forked Tongue
coronatiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 05:23 PM   #2
Culture20

Default Re: Super Climbing speed without Clinging

Is that +1 move intended to be basic move or climbing move? It would be odd to be basic move. Unfortunately, Powers page 79 is extremely unhelpful, saying only that “the meaning ... is clear” without saying what the meaning is or providing examples.
That page does describe your issue though.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 05:44 PM   #3
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
Unfortunately, Powers page 79 is extremely unhelpful, saying only that “the meaning ... is clear” without saying what the meaning is or providing examples.
Er, that line is referring to Move while Clinging. It then goes on to address the exact issue in the OP, saying that each level of Super Climbing increases your climbing speed by the base value in the table. So, if you had Super Climbing 2, you'd climb a ladder in combat at 9 rungs a second, or climb a rope up at 60 feet/minute out of combat.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:01 PM   #4
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronatiger View Post
Super Climbing (p B89) gives you +1 Move (per level) when climbing or using the Clinging advantage.
My upcoming character won't have Clinging, but I consider Super Climbing. So I read up on the climbing rules (p B349), and see a table describing different types of climb and how fast you climb. But as far as I can see, you don't use your BM to determine climbing speed, so having Super Climbing doesn't actually help. You could have a hundred levels of Super Climbing, and still only move 1 foot per second when climbing a tree (in combat).

According to the rules for Time Spent (p B346), I can make haste and have the climbing take 10% less time per -1 I take on the roll (up to -9).

I'm sure I'm missing something. Can someone help me interpret the rules?

1. How does Super Climbing affect climbing speed when I don't have Clinging?
2. How does Super Climbing interact with making haste?
The answer is provided in the text of the Super Climbing bit in Powers, p79, but was also brought up by Kromm in response to a similar question here in the forums many years ago. Essentially, each level of SC increases the climbing speeds by a cumulative +1 multiple. So someone with SC1 could climb UP a ladder at 6 rungs/sec in combat (2x as fast), or someone with SC2 could climb an ordinary tree at 1 ft/sec out of combat (3x as fast).

If the GM deems Haste is appropriate in a given situation, it just means that you'll climb (1/the percentage for penalty taken) times faster, e.g. 10x as fast if you took a -9 penalty to your Climbing roll.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:20 PM   #5
Culture20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
Er, that line is referring to Move while Clinging.
Yes, and it’s still quite vague despite the text’s assertion that it’s plain. irrelevent, of course, to this current thread except for the OP’s comment about move while clinging being +0.5/level.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote