Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 09-12-2018, 08:04 AM   #51
Oneiros

Default Re: TFT Map Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I just looked at this for the first time and was so pleased I write a blog article.
https://refplace.blogspot.com/2018/0...ur-gaming.html
The InKarnate site seems to be down. I'm curious what that tool can do.

Also, I'd recommend having the links in the article open in a new tab/window, so visitors aren't sent away from your page before they check everything out.
Oneiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:36 AM   #52
guymc

@Shadekeep:

My gosh, friend! I finally got to sit down with this at my Mac. I've bought a lot of mapping software for games, but I have to say this is the easiest to use by far, and has potential to beat them all! I love it!

I am absolutely no programmer, which is why those who can do this are people I greatly admire. But human interfaces are something I am trained in, and I'm a fair graphics guy. I'd really like to contribute to this wonderful effort, so if I can be of any help, don't hesitate to ask.

Doing a megahex overlay seems to be something on your agenda (and I'm very happy for that because it would then be able to do TFT maps at any scale, including actual play fields). An overlay to make the whole page into megahexes seems to be what everyone is calling for -- but maybe that's not necessary -- or at least not necessary all the time. It might be as useful to let the user lay down megahexes wherever they are wanted.

Would there be a way to get it set up like any other tool (like the half-hex, etc. tools), with a click in a hex outlining all the surrounding hexes to produce a megahex? If that could be done, it would serve. (You can outline a megahex using the doors tool... but that takes awhile!)

Besides the larger scale mapping icons everyone is clamoring for (mountains, hills, grasslands, etc.), labyrinth tools would be great, too -- though you might find it better to put them on a separate overlay so your buttons palette doesn't get too clogged. Platforms, chests, pits, columns etc.

One thing your current interface would be perfect for is putting elevation lines toward individual hexsides like doors work. This could be used in both labyrinth and outdoor maps to indicate a rise in terrain, allowing you to easily know when someone has the "fighting from below" disadvantage.

I'm not sure what I could do to help (Designing some icons for the labyrinth mapping, perhaps?) but I'm sure willing to do so if you need it.

Thank you so much for sharing this great mapping tool with us! Lots of good karma for you!
Old 09-12-2018, 12:05 PM   #53
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiros View Post
The InKarnate site seems to be down. I'm curious what that tool can do.

Also, I'd recommend having the links in the article open in a new tab/window, so visitors aren't sent away from your page before they check everything out.
Up for me - https://inkarnate.com/

I can't edit in Chrome, but I can see my old maps.
ETA: I can't edit the old maps; I can edit new ones.

Inkarnate would be slick if it weren't online only...

Last edited by ak_aramis; 09-12-2018 at 12:20 PM.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:10 AM   #54
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymc View Post
@Shadekeep:

*snip*
Thanks for all the great feedback! I am working on the megahex tool currently, and it should be possible to allow folks to click-paint with it. I gotta tell you, working out the megahex calculations for filling the grid properly were a pain. But now I have a function that renders a megahex wherever you click. I just have to integrate it more intuitively so that you can draw a sheet of them over the whole map if desired. I have to decide if megahexes are always a full sheet over the map, or if users can paint them arbitrarily. If the latter, I will need to modify the save file format more complexly to support that kind of placement.

The elevation marks are a good idea, and I have plans to have a whole new palette of components for terrain maps. The current Palette tab will likely be split into Dungeon and Terrain tabs, in order to group the tools more logically.

Thanks as well for the offer to help out with the interface. Any suggestions you have for making it more intuitive are appreciated. It's hard to step away and properly critique it when you're the one building it.
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:27 AM   #55
Terquem

So, forgive my computer ignorance, but how difficult would it be to shift this from a web based application to a stand alone program?
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:24 AM   #56
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terquem View Post
So, forgive my computer ignorance, but how difficult would it be to shift this from a web based application to a stand alone program?
It relies on your web browser to run, but I could easily make a downloadable version that you just open up locally. I actually run it locally myself during development of the program. I'll look to packaging it up and including a download link on the app soon. I'd like to get the release version stable first so that folks don't have to keep downloading a new version every few days.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:44 AM   #57
Shadekeep

At last, the much-requested Megahexes feature is in. Look for a new Layer of the same name. This includes tools for turning the megahex overlay on and off, and nudging it around so that the megahexes are just where you want them. They should save correctly in save map and images, too. This change should not break any previous maps.

Also added is a simple bit of code to capture when you reload or navigate away from the page. It will ask you whether you are sure you want to do that, and you can cancel the redirect in case you have unsaved work. This should help prevent losing work by accidentally hitting reload or a link.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:28 PM   #58
Shadekeep

One further change, map resizing is now non-destructive. If you shrink the map it will keep what it can and just trim from the right or bottom edge. If you expand the map it will simply add new blank tiles to those edges.

I can see where the ability to selectively crop a map may be useful in future as well, in case you want to retain the map from an arbitrary point instead of the upper-left corner.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:43 PM   #59
Oneiros

Shadekeep. Dude. I’m starting to worry about you. Are you stopping to eat once in a while? Getting any sleep?

Seriously, though your dedication to this project and continuous improvements are greatly appreciated.
Oneiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 05:50 PM   #60
Shadekeep

Most kind. I have a bit of a high compulsion metabolism. Projects like this keep the howling of the void at bay, if only for a while. ^_^