Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 01-29-2014, 04:13 PM   #1
mrmagoofl

Default Portals

I just want to confirm when portals can be played.

I know that portals can only be played during the players turn and not during combat. I know that if I Knock Down the Door into a portal it immediately takes effect and then I Knock Down the Door again. Also if I Loot the Room and draw a face-down portal card I can immediately play it to Loot the Room again.

But can a portal card be played before you Knock Down the Door?
For example: John's turn just ended. I am after John. I play a portal card to add another Dungeon to the already existing one. Then I Knock Down the Door. Is this a legal move? Or do I have to wait to play a portal after I Knock Down the Door?

Can a portal be played right before your turn ends? Like right after Charity can it be played? Or after you get Treasure?
mrmagoofl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:47 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Portals

Your turn starts as soon as the player to your right says her turn is over. You may play a Portal at that time, if you have one, and draw a face-down Door card to replace it.

You may also play a Portal at any other time on your turn, as long as you are not in combat and no Portal has yet been played.

You may not play a Portal after giving Charity, as your turn is over.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:47 PM   #3
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmagoofl View Post
I just want to confirm when portals can be played.

I know that portals can only be played during the players turn and not during combat. I know that if I Knock Down the Door into a portal it immediately takes effect and then I Knock Down the Door again.
Correct.

Quote:
Also if I Loot the Room and draw a face-down portal card I can immediately play it to Loot the Room again.
The second card is not really Looting the Room again. You get to draw a replacement Door card whenever you play a face-down Portal, so it is sort of like Looting the Room again, but things that affect Looting the Room will not affect the replacement card, so the distinction is important.

Quote:
But can a portal card be played before you Knock Down the Door?
Yes. You can play any other type of card that can be played during your turn before you Kick Open the Door too.

Quote:
For example: John's turn just ended. I am after John. I play a portal card to add another Dungeon to the already existing one. Then I Knock Down the Door. Is this a legal move? Or do I have to wait to play a portal after I Knock Down the Door?
It is legal. You will also draw a replacement Door card after you resolve the Portal. Then you Kick Open the Door.

Quote:
Can a portal be played right before your turn ends? Like right after Charity can it be played? Or after you get Treasure?
Charity ends your turn, so you cannot play a Portal after Charity. You can play one immediately before the Charity step, though.

Last edited by Clipper; 01-29-2014 at 10:20 PM.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:23 PM   #4
mrmagoofl

Ok. Thank you. That was very helpful. But I am slightly confused on one thing.

When I play a portal card from my hand I can draw another Door card to replace it? I don't think I understand.
mrmagoofl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:39 PM   #5
DoomedDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmagoofl View Post
Ok. Thank you. That was very helpful. But I am slightly confused on one thing.

When I play a portal card from my hand I can draw another Door card to replace it? I don't think I understand.
Yes. Every time a portal is played, you draw a door to replace it.
DoomedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:24 PM   #6
Clipper

Here is part of the rules that supports that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented Dungeons Rules
Remember: When you play a Portal, you always draw another Door to replace it. If the original Portal was drawn face-up, the replacement Door is face-up. If the original Portal was face-down, so is the replacement.

Tags
portal