Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 01-15-2014, 12:22 AM   #1
mrmagoofl

Default Slender Man and Gremlin

Here is the scenario:

Brooke is a Level 3 Cleric.
She has Holey Grail (+3 Bonus) and Martial Helmet (+3 Bonus)
She Knocks down the door and finds The Stork, a Level 2 monster.
It allows any player to play a Level 1 monster without Wandering Monster.
I play Level 1 Gremlin. Her highest-bonus Item does not count in this combat.
Brian plays UNDEAD which gives the monster +5 and makes it undead.
I play Level 2 Tom Thumb because it is UNDEAD.
Brooke asks for help and John accepts.
He is a Level 4 Super Munchkin Wizard and Elf.
He had Lion Skin (+5 Bonus), CHEAT! with Dragonskin Armor (+4 Bonus), Spiky Elbows (+1 Bonus), and Laddie (+1 Bonus)
Kyndra plays Level 18 Pluto because it is UNDEAD.
John plays Standing Stones and puts Pluto in front of Kyndra.
Kat plays Slender Man because he is Undead.
Slender Man negates benefits from Class and Race in this combat.
John plays Teuton Horn on himself (+5 Bonus to either side) and Enchanted Coin (+4 to either side).
I play Tiatanic (+10 to monster) and Candy and Cola on monster (+2 to either side).

First, does Gremlin affect both fighters? "Your highest-bonus Item does not count in this combat." It already affected Brooke but would it also affect John because he is helping her?

Also does Slender Man affect both of them? "You cannot gain any benefits from your Class or Race in this combat." Brooke cannot use the powers of her Cleric to increase her attack against undead monsters.

Does this also affect John so he cannot use his Wizard power to discard his hand and discard the monster instead of fighting it? John is a Super Munchkin which states he may have two Class cards with all the advantages and disadvantages. Or one class card with all advantages and no disadvantages. Does this mean Slender Man does not affect him? And if he tries to run does he get no +1 to his Run Away from the Elf Race? And no Level for helping to defeat Slender Man?

I am sorry if this is confusing. We were all very confused while this round panned out. I can rephrase and reword anything and describe other parts better if need be.
mrmagoofl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:25 AM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Slender Man and Gremlin

I'm closing this thread while I cogitate, postulate, and look at the cards involved before giving a final answer.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:27 AM   #3
Clipper

Enchanted Coin was an invalid play by John. It says that it can only be played if you are not in the combat and he was in the combat (as helper) at that point.

Now to the questions....

Quote:
First, does Gremlin affect both fighters? "Your highest-bonus Item does not count in this combat." It already affected Brooke but would it also affect John because he is helping her?
Yes, it would affect John too. Both players ignore one Item.

Quote:
Also does Slender Man affect both of them? "You cannot gain any benefits from your Class or Race in this combat." Brooke cannot use the powers of her Cleric to increase her attack against undead monsters.

Does this also affect John so he cannot use his Wizard power to discard his hand and discard the monster instead of fighting it?
Yes, it affects John too.

Quote:
John is a Super Munchkin which states he may have two Class cards with all the advantages and disadvantages. Or one class card with all advantages and no disadvantages. Does this mean Slender Man does not affect him?
Nope. He is able to ignore disadvantages of being a Wizard, but Slender Man is removing all the benefits of the Wizard, which is not a disadvantage of being a Wizard.

Quote:
And if he tries to run does he get no +1 to his Run Away from the Elf Race? And no Level for helping to defeat Slender Man?
I'm not sure about the Run Away bonus. It's difficult to say whether Slender Man's ability lasts after the combat without official clarification. I'd guess that you possibly could use the Run Away bonus as combat is over, but I'm not entirely sure. He definitely doesn't get a level if he helps kill Slender Man, though.

Quote:
I am sorry if this is confusing. We were all very confused while this round panned out. I can rephrase and reword anything and describe other parts better if need be.
Sounds like you had a really great battle...

Edit: Looks like I got in before the closure... Sorry MM, didn't see your post. It took me much longer than two minutes to write this one up :).
Old 01-15-2014, 04:54 AM   #4
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Clipper is completely correct about the combat itself. One clarification:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
I'm not sure about the Run Away bonus. It's difficult to say whether Slender Man's ability lasts after the combat without official clarification.
It does not. The Elf gets the +1 to Run Away (and, although you didn't ask, the Wizard can use the Flight Spell).

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:15 AM   #5
mrmagoofl

So just to clarify:

The Elf does get the +1 to Run Away but does not gain a Level for helping to kill Slender Man.
The Wizard can use the Flight Spell but not the Charm Spell.
Slender Man negates the benefits of Race and Class. So if you are a Dwarf with 2 Big Items, you would need to discard one, correct?
And I am assuming that the Halfling is able to discard a card to roll again for Run Away.

Thank you all so much! This was a huge help! Yes, it was an amazing battle!
mrmagoofl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:31 AM   #6
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmagoofl View Post
The Elf does get the +1 to Run Away but does not gain a Level for helping to kill Slender Man.
The Wizard can use the Flight Spell but not the Charm Spell.
Both true.

Quote:
Slender Man negates the benefits of Race and Class. So if you are a Dwarf with 2 Big Items, you would need to discard one, correct?
Hmm. This is a good question, but I think what I'm going to rule is that since Slender Man says "for this combat," the Dwarf can still carry two Big items but only *use* one of them.

Quote:
And I am assuming that the Halfling is able to discard a card to roll again for Run Away.
Yes.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:52 AM   #7
Mr P

More doubts about slenderman:

What about the items of a class/race? Did they count for the battle?

At page 4 of the rules there is an example about a combat with slenderman and a cleric, and the cleric uses Cleric class’s Turn Undead ability... Is this a mistake in the rules?
MiB #3272
Iberia Cell Leader
Mr P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gremlin, no benefits from class, no benefits from race, slender man, two munchkins