Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 12-01-2018, 12:43 PM   #1
hcobb

Default Tricky Gate question

Your friendly neighborhood wizard creates a gate between two rivers that is two megahexes across (as per ITL p. 56) and then sails a ship of this size through it with 70 people on board.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Vo...8canal_boat%29

How many gate stability saving throws does he need to roll?
Old 12-01-2018, 01:27 PM   #2
TippetsTX

Default Re: Tricky Gate question

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
How many gate stability saving throws does he need to roll?
Just one IMO. ITL pg 56... "There is a small chance that a Gate will malfunction and be destroyed each time it is used... each time a figure passes through." To me, that implies the failure roll is only made once per passage thru the Gate regardless if the figure is a person or a ship.

The other question this raises for me is whether or not I would require a different casting cost for a one-person Gate vs. a huge one two megahexes wide.

Last edited by TippetsTX; 12-01-2018 at 01:31 PM.
TippetsTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 01:52 PM   #3
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
The other question this raises for me is whether or not I would require a different casting cost for a one-person Gate vs. a huge one two megahexes wide.
That is a good one.
Old 12-01-2018, 02:04 PM   #4
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
That is a good one.
Or whether large Gates are inherently more unstable than small ones.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:46 AM   #5
Skarg

Depends on whether your GM wants to trivialize gate breakdowns and allow mass-movements of people and cargo, or not.

If you can do it with a boat, why not with a gigantic wagon?

If you can only do it with a boat, people would create giant pools just for "shipping" as much as they could through gates.

A one-roll-per-figure gate averages 216 figures per breakdown. That's enough for a battalion of men. But if you can put them in giant containers, then you could pass 216 SHIPS per breakdown, or 216 giant wagon-passages full of troops.

So it would mean essentially you want your entire known world to effectively be in one nexus of possible instant movement, which means distance would no longer be an interesting barrier distinguishing places and trade goods and separating rulers' domains.

Great if you want your game's power and trade and situation to be all about the mind-boggling power/culture/trade collision that would occur.

Otherwise, I'd suggest that if something larger than a one-hex figure passes, there need to be a proportional number of breakdown rolls... say one per figure and one per 500 pounds for large things. Figures riding on a large thing I would still count as figures.

A barge the size you describe is probably in the neighborhood of 100 tons so that's 500 breakdown rolls plus one per figure or thing aboard.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote