Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 02:00 AM   #11
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Several Munchkin Quest Questions

Please aggregate your questions into a single post in the future; it keeps the thread size down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud197 View Post
When your battling a monster and lose, you lose a red heart, when you are fighting 2 monsters do you lose a heart PER monster?
You take one hit per monster you fail to defeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud197 View Post
Also when a monster appears on the board, how do you determine its color ? we have always rolled to determine its color...but it doesnt make sense if your only playing with 3 people and only have 3 colors in play.
The current player rolls the Monster Die to determine the color. If the player rolls a color that can't be used (either because that color isn't in that game or because all the bases of that color are taken), he selects one of the available bases. If there ARE no available bases, then after the roll the highest-Level monster is removed from the board and that base is used.

But you ALWAYS have to roll, because whenever your color comes up on a Monster Die roll, you get a DxM card. (If your color is selected, not rolled, you don't get a card.)

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Old 02-10-2012, 07:05 PM   #12
Goku389

Hello, I just bought Munchkin quest recently and have played through it once and I was confused about this:

1. After I explored the first room I ran into a monster and rolled the monster die. The monster die landed on my color so I put my color base on the monster, do I still have to fight that monster or can I move on? The rulebook says that the monster is "your monster" and you are "it's target" but what does that mean exactly? What control do I have over that monster?

Last edited by Goku389; 02-10-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #13
MunchkinMan

Yes, you have to fight it. The rules for Exploring go from step 5, which is drawing the monster, to step 6, which says to "[s]tart combat!"

The rules explain that a Monster that has the same color base as your color will not leave a room you are in during Monster movement. This was covered 4 posts above yours, actually. Also, right after the rule that you quoted, the rules go on to say, "When it fights (even if it is fighting you), you roll for it, and you can use your own cards to affect its rolls," which clearly defines the amount of control you have over the Monster.
MiB #1029
Old 04-13-2012, 08:28 AM   #14
Naugh

Hello everyone,

I'm to Munchkin Quest and to this Forum. I too have question concerning the rules, I reckoned I'll ask in this thread rather than make a new one.

I'm a bit confused about the rules of exiting a room, specifically this passage in the rules:

Quote:
Moving Between Rooms
Movement is always from one room to the next. Rooms are connected by links, but you never stop on a link except to indicate you’re passing through it to an unexplored room – and you will complete your move
to the new room as soon as the Mapmaker puts it down.
To go through a link, you must pay its movement cost (see box).
Walls cannot be passed through, except by magic. If two rooms are
linked by a wall, they are not considered “adjacent.
You are never completely stuck unless you are surrounded by walls.
You can always go through one exit per turn, of any type, by spending all
your Move. This is true even if your Move is 0.
Source: Rulebook of Munchkin Quest

Now the first part states you have to pay the movement cost to go to another room, but the second part says that you can pick any exit and go through there, even if you Move is 0. I'm probably misunderstanding something, but I can't make any sense of it.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #15
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

The second part is an exception to the first. You can spend ALL your Move on a turn to move through any non-wall link, even if you don't have enough Move to do it normally.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:16 AM   #16
Naugh

I see.

Thanks alot for the explanation.

EDIT:
A few more question cropped up:

How is the gender of the character actually determined? Does the picture on the race card make a difference her?
When the card states that the Balrog smashes doors and stuff, does that also mean that a Monster that reached that door before it can now move through that door?
Can monster movement be influenced after the die is rolled but before monster are moved?

Last edited by Naugh; 04-15-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:07 PM   #17
ellogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naugh View Post
How is the gender of the character actually determined? Does the picture on the race card make a difference her?
Your gender is your character´s gender, you can change gender only trough effect by curses, the only way to keep track of what gender do you have is by keeping the card in front of you reminding you that you changed your gender or adquiring the +6 bag of babes. The picture makes no difference.

Quote:
When the card states that the Balrog smashes doors and stuff, does that also mean that a Monster that reached that door before it can now move through that door?
The monsters move "at the same time", so if a monster gets to a door that cant be crossed by him and then the Balrog gets there and smashes the door I let the Balrog go on but the other monster stays where he stopped.

Quote:
Can monster movement be influenced after the die is rolled but before monster are moved?
Yes. Lets say you roll the dice and get blue, the blue player gets the Deus EX Munchkin card. Then I play "Monster Magnetism" making all monsters within 3 rooms to move 1 room closer to you, then if any mosnter gets in your room you fight and after that the monsters move following the blue arrows or as the monsters move.

Last edited by ellogan; 04-15-2012 at 09:09 PM. Reason: typos
Old 04-15-2012, 09:18 PM   #18
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellogan View Post
Yes. Lets say you roll the dice and get blue, the blue player gets the Deus EX Munchkin card. Then I play "Monster Magnetism" making all monsters within 3 rooms to move 1 room closer to you, then if any mosnter gets in your room you fight and after that the monsters move following the blue arrows or as the monsters move.
This is not correct. Once you roll the die (and give people a chance to change the roll with Reloaded Die), you must resolve the monster movement before doing anything else. (Also note that as soon as monster movement finishes, the next player's turn starts -- there's no time for a "before you start your turn, I want to play this" phase.)

Old 04-16-2012, 04:51 AM   #19
Naugh

Thank you very much for your respective replies.

I just have one last question (hopefully).

When battling multiple monsters and running away, would a teleportation save you from all of them?
Old 04-16-2012, 11:14 AM   #20
La1cajun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
Yes, you have to fight it. The rules for Exploring go from step 5, which is drawing the monster, to step 6, which says to "[s]tart combat!"

The rules explain that a Monster that has the same color base as your color will not leave a room you are in during Monster movement. This was covered 4 posts above yours, actually. Also, right after the rule that you quoted, the rules go on to say, "When it fights (even if it is fighting you), you roll for it, and you can use your own cards to affect its rolls," which clearly defines the amount of control you have over the Monster.
If its fighting me or another person, I am the only one that can play cards to effect the monsters roll because it has my color base?
Closed Thread