Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2008, 10:31 AM   #1
BadToast
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Default Snickersnee and a scary clown boss question

This is a rather rare scenario... so of course it came up in our third game of munchkin quest and I'd like some thoughts on the validity of it.

Scenario: A level 10 munchkin walks into the entrance with a snickersnee equipped (weapon that automatically defeats scary clowns). Draws monster card... which happens to be the scary clowns. So it becomes a level 20 scary clowns boss.

The main question: Does this scenario give the munchkin an automatic win?

The rules clearly state that the boss always fights, there's no changing or bypassing, etc., however based on the wording this seems like it's not bypassing but is actually fighting and defeating the boss... automatically. We ruled that the munchkin got the win, but would like to hear an official ruling on this case.

A related question: What is the exact timing of automatic wins? (of which I believe this would be one of the very rare examples). Specifically, can other munchkins interrupt an automatic win with wondering monsters, dispelling, etc.?

A munchkin can always wander in monsters, but I believe the automatic win would happen first. Basically, we chose to treat an automatic win as if dice already have been rolled in combat. In this particular "clown-boss" case, the munchkin would win the game already so wandering in monsters afterward for a future combat is pointless. Another way to phrase this question is: does a wandering monster interrupt the normal post combat leveling/looting?
BadToast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:46 AM   #2
Progmode
 
Progmode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, Mi
Default Re: Snickersnee and a scary clown boss question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadToast
This is a rather rare scenario... so of course it came up in our third game of munchkin quest and I'd like some thoughts on the validity of it.

Scenario: A level 10 munchkin walks into the entrance with a snickersnee equipped (weapon that automatically defeats scary clowns). Draws monster card... which happens to be the scary clowns. So it becomes a level 20 scary clowns boss.

The main question: Does this scenario give the munchkin an automatic win?
I'd say this is certainly a way of "bypassing" the combat and, as such, the power of the Snickersnee does not apply to a Boss monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadToast
A related question: What is the exact timing of automatic wins? (of which I believe this would be one of the very rare examples). Specifically, can other munchkins interrupt an automatic win with wondering monsters, dispelling, etc.?
According to the rules:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rules, Page 8
If all the monsters, or all the munchkins, are removed from the room, the combat is over. All “usable once only” cards are returned to their owners. All monster enhancer cards stay with the monster they were played on.
So, combat ends as soon as all the monsters or munchkins are gone from the room. Automatic kills remove monsters from the combat, so by a strict reading of the rules, if you face the Scary Clowns with the Snickersnee, they're gone, and the combat ends almost instantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadToast
A munchkin can always wander in monsters, but I believe the automatic win would happen first. Basically, we chose to treat an automatic win as if dice already have been rolled in combat. In this particular "clown-boss" case, the munchkin would win the game already so wandering in monsters afterward for a future combat is pointless. Another way to phrase this question is: does a wandering monster interrupt the normal post combat leveling/looting?
As I said above, according to the rules, combat ends when all the Munchkins or all the monsters are gone from the room. With automatic kills, there is no die roll (meaning no 2.6 second rule), the monster is just gone from the combat.

However, I don't think this is the intent, and I wouldn't be surprised in the least if someone with the authority to rule came and said that the 2.6 second rule does still apply to combats that have no monsters due to auto-kills and their ilk.
__________________
"Someone is, or is thinking about, talking to someone else about possibly doing something sometime in the future." - MunchkinMan
Progmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 12:04 PM   #3
O'Keefe
 
O'Keefe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Austin, Texas
Default Re: Snickersnee and a scary clown boss question

The Snickersnee does automatically defeat the Clowns boss, but you still have to do the 2.6 second thing, so another monster could be added to the fight before it was technically over.
__________________
Will Schoonover
Assistant Developer...among other things
Steve Jackson Games
will@sjgames.com
O'Keefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:02 PM   #4
Progmode
 
Progmode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, Mi
Default Re: Snickersnee and a scary clown boss question

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Keefe
The Snickersnee does automatically defeat the Clowns boss,
This surprises me. So can you use Dispel Monster to get rid of a Boss monster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Keefe
but you still have to do the 2.6 second thing, so another monster could be added to the fight before it was technically over.
This is what I expected.
__________________
"Someone is, or is thinking about, talking to someone else about possibly doing something sometime in the future." - MunchkinMan
Progmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:00 PM   #5
BadToast
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Default Re: Snickersnee and a scary clown boss question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progmode
This surprises me. So can you use Dispel Monster to get rid of a Boss monster?
I'd assume that dispelling would go against the rules of bypassing or moving a boss.

On the off chance that it is allowed, I would see it as a preventative measure only, i.e., it wouldn't give the win. The munchkin would have to re-fight another boss.
BadToast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:21 PM   #6
Progmode
 
Progmode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, Mi
Default Re: Snickersnee and a scary clown boss question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadToast
I'd assume that dispelling would go against the rules of bypassing or moving a boss.

On the off chance that it is allowed, I would see it as a preventative measure only, i.e., it wouldn't give the win. The munchkin would have to re-fight another boss.
I would assume that's correct. I just don't like the fact that there's anyway to get out of rolling dice against the level 20 Boss monster. Even if that way requires that you have the right item and the right Boss monster, it just shouldn't be possible.

I don't often argue against the official ruling, but this one rubs me the wrong way.
__________________
"Someone is, or is thinking about, talking to someone else about possibly doing something sometime in the future." - MunchkinMan
Progmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:27 PM   #7
mib2932
 
mib2932's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Isanti, MN
Default Re: Snickersnee and a scary clown boss question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadToast
I'd assume that dispelling would go against the rules of bypassing or moving a boss.
From the Boss Monster section of the rules (p11):

Quote:
No card or power will let you bypass this combat! The Boss ignores any rules, cards, or powers that would take it out of the Entrance. It can never be controlled and will never ignore a Level 10 munchkin for any reason, even if its card says it will. It always fights.
mib2932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:06 PM   #8
RevBob
 
RevBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Here on the perimeter, there are no stars
Default Re: Snickersnee and a scary clown boss question

And in this case, the Boss isn't being moved out of the Entrance, it's not being controlled, and it's not ignoring the Munchkin. It's putting up a fight, but being automatically defeated.
__________________
Find me at @RevBobTnJ * Goodreads

Looking for a St. Aosbczkcs medal.
RevBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:08 PM   #9
RevBob
 
RevBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Here on the perimeter, there are no stars
Default Re: Snickersnee and a scary clown boss question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progmode
I would assume that's correct. I just don't like the fact that there's anyway to get out of rolling dice against the level 20 Boss monster. Even if that way requires that you have the right item and the right Boss monster, it just shouldn't be possible.
What if you're fighting at an effective level of, say, 40 - and your opponents have nothing to beef the monster with? No point rolling the dice for that one....
__________________
Find me at @RevBobTnJ * Goodreads

Looking for a St. Aosbczkcs medal.
RevBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:42 PM   #10
Progmode
 
Progmode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, Mi
Default Re: Snickersnee and a scary clown boss question

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBob
What if you're fighting at an effective level of, say, 40 - and your opponents have nothing to beef the monster with? No point rolling the dice for that one....
You know very well what I meant, and your example is not at all the same thing.
__________________
"Someone is, or is thinking about, talking to someone else about possibly doing something sometime in the future." - MunchkinMan
Progmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.