Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-20-2008, 11:46 PM   #1
Lord Guardian

Default Newbie asking a question about ETS and Power Blow

So when does the "never suffer skill penalties for being mentally rushed" from ETS come in? Does it help with power blow?

LG
Lord Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:54 PM   #2
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: Newbie asking a question about ETS and Power Blow

It comes in when the GM says "You have -X because you're in a hurry." It certainly doesn't reduce the basic concentration requirements for skills and advantages that have them, like Power Blow and Warp.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:43 AM   #3
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
It comes in when the GM says "You have -X because you're in a hurry." It certainly doesn't reduce the basic concentration requirements for skills and advantages that have them, like Power Blow and Warp.
That's a rather vague description. I personally change it to "Use of mundane mental-only skills requiring no I/O with the outside world in reduced tme", but it still makes ETS alone overpriced. It gets as useful as an internal computer if you happen to also have Intuitive Mathematician and Photographic Memory, but on its own it is nearly useless: 15pts shaved off for CR, and you get 30 points for the combat sequence trump card and the vague speed bonus taken together.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:27 AM   #4
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh

30 points for the combat sequence trump card
To date, I've had many players willing to blow all 45 points for that ability alone. It's one of the few "ultimate" abilities allowed in GURPS, and it's fiendishly effective.

"The ambush closes on you and . . ."
"I have ETS. Before the first ambusher actually attacks, I spray them all with machine-gun fire."

"The terrorist has a gun to her head. One false move and . . ."
"I have ETS. Before he can shoot, I throw 15 shuriken into his eye."

. . . and so on. Never mind the additional, high-value uses of the advantage in Martial Arts (esp. p. 44, but also pp. 58, 108, and 133).
Old 03-21-2008, 11:41 AM   #5
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
"I have ETS. Before the first ambusher actually attacks, I spray them all with machine-gun fire."
While the other examples look okay, this one is plain weird. Is ETS supposed to let you interrupt another's turn (without declaring a Wait) even if the enemy wasn't visible before the attack is completed?
Old 03-21-2008, 12:15 PM   #6
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

ETS lets you beat Wait, yes. It explicitly lets you dodge surprise sniper shots, parry bullets (provided you have suitable skills), and pre-empt Wait maneuvers. As soon as you have reason to believe something is wrong -- say, the first bullet is shot and you get your dodge -- you can act.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:21 PM   #7
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
ETS lets you beat Wait, yes. It explicitly lets you dodge surprise sniper shots, parry bullets (provided you have suitable skills), and pre-empt Wait maneuvers. As soon as you have reason to believe something is wrong -- say, the first bullet is shot and you get your dodge -- you can act.
But does it really act as if you declared a Wait even though you're in the middle of a Move, Do Nothing, or Ready?
Old 03-21-2008, 12:23 PM   #8
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Since an ambush normally involves several people without perfect timing, there's a de facto combat sequence. The first guy with a Wait gets his Wait, and sets off that sequence. However, as soon as his bullet is in the air, the guy with ETS is alerted and takes his normal place in the sequence . . . which is before everybody else.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:24 PM   #9
sjmdw45

Quote:

"The terrorist has a gun to her head. One false move and . . ."
"I have ETS. Before he can shoot, I throw 15 shuriken into his eye."
I don't get this. I thought ETS was a mental ability--the ability to think quickly enough to see/react to sniper bullets and have infinite subjective time to ponder questions--but this makes it look like Basic Speed 1000.00, a physical ability. I guess I've misunderstood what ETS is supposed to represent.

I could understand throwing *1* shuriken before he manages to pull the trigger, but getting the next 14 off before he pulls the trigger requires being physically fast, not mentally fast.

-Max
sjmdw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 03:33 PM   #10
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmdw45
I don't get this. I thought ETS was a mental ability--the ability to think quickly enough to see/react to sniper bullets and have infinite subjective time to ponder questions--but this makes it look like Basic Speed 1000.00, a physical ability. I guess I've misunderstood what ETS is supposed to represent.
ETS is Combat Reflexes on steroids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmdw45
I could understand throwing *1* shuriken before he manages to pull the trigger, but getting the next 14 off before he pulls the trigger requires being physically fast, not mentally fast.
Sure, but if you have ETS then you probably also have Trained By a Master or Heroic Archer along with Weapon Master, which means that using Multi Fast-Draw you can draw 8 shuriken in each hand at only a -4, (16/4) and with All out Attacks, Rapid Strikes, etc., you can get throw all those shuriken in one second.

Edit: Oops, using Rapid Fire with Thrown Weapons, Martial Arts, p.120, someone can throw a fistful of shuriken or 15+.

Last edited by Ze'Manel Cunha; 03-21-2008 at 03:40 PM.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote