Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 06-06-2018, 12:20 PM   #31

Default Re: D&D5e Characters-What has worked for you?

Take a look at the backgrounds chapter (PHB p121) and if you have XGE roll up your life path
(XGE p61). Have fun♥
2097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:25 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The other mistake is rolling for attributes. If one person rolls well and another rolls badly, that's guaranteed to break the game.
We've had many such parties, it's fine. We roll for stats all the time

Quote:
Let's look at a 27 point build. Figure base attributes of 15 Wis (9), 14 Dex (7), 14 Con (7), 8 Str (0), 10 Int (2), 10 Cha (2). With racial bonuses for a Wood elf, Wis 16, Dex 16.
Point build is an optional rule though! So clear it with the rest of the table. The default is rolling or standard array.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:31 PM   #33
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2097 View Post
Point build is an optional rule though! So clear it with the rest of the table. The default is rolling or standard array.
Point build is by far the most common, and has been since 3rd edition.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:48 PM   #34

It became a variant rule in 5e. Page 14. (The variant is in use in the Adventurer's League and the default — rolling — is forbidden there.)

2e also had a semi-random point buy as a variant rule, Method VI.

Any one table is free to decide that point buy is allowed there! It's a common enough variant especially for those coming from a 3e background. But it's not allowed in our group.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:11 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
And on top of these rather impressive abilities I was able to use healing not only as touch effects, but as ranged effects some of which even as a BONUS action still allowing me to attack anyone near me, then bring my allies back from the jaws of death.
Hi, Alex! Healing Word is awesome!
It uses your bonus action so you can't two-weapon-fight that round but that's fine

And as others pointed out, your off hand attack doesn't add your dex.

Your character sounds great! Have fun with it. Elven light clerics are fun, I love the elves since they get weapons and a cantrip, meaning if they go caster (like cleric) they can still weapon fight, and if they go fighter they can still cast spells. Reminds me of the elves from B/X.

Different classes are best at different levels of the game. It's great that your build is so good right now. Your barbarian friend can hang in there and remember that next level they'll have access to reckless attack. They also add +2 to their damage rolls when they are enraged. Good luck to them too!

As far as sorcerers go, there is a version of the sorcerer in XGE that gets the full cleric list.
Twinned Healing Word is pretty awesome. Druids and Bards also have healing word, and Celestial patron Warlocks have Healing Light which is similar.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:53 PM   #36
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2097 View Post
It became a variant rule in 5e. Page 14. (The variant is in use in the Adventurer's League and the default — rolling — is forbidden there.)
It's always been a variant, just a variant that almost everyone used. In any case, when you're looking at balance issues, it's far better to use something other than rolling, because rolling attributes adds noise that swamps the signal. While it's possible clerics are overpowered in 5e (they've been overpowered in most editions, so it would not be a surprise) your example was just demonstrating that high stats are better than low stats.
Old 06-06-2018, 03:34 PM   #37
adm

For what it's worth, in 36 years of playing D&D I have only had one campaign with point buy. Although I have yet to play 4E or 5E.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:01 PM   #38
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
For what it's worth, in 36 years of playing D&D I have only had one campaign with point buy. Although I have yet to play 4E or 5E.
38 years since I started and only one point buy campaign too. The DM gave out 30 pts in that one which was rather more than book standard options.

I didn't play 4e but have played 5e.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:14 AM   #39

Quote:
It's always been a variant, just a variant that almost everyone used.
4e has standard array as method 1, point buy as method 2, and random rolling as method 3.

No note that point buy is "variant" whereas in 5e point buy is listed as variant and something the DM needs to approve.

5e makes it a variant.

(Oh I found full point buy it in an old 2e book too, while looking just now. Player's Options. Still a variant rule though.)

Quote:
In any case, when you're looking at balance issues, it's far better to use something other than rolling, because rolling attributes adds noise that swamps the signal. While it's possible clerics are overpowered in 5e (they've been overpowered in most editions, so it would not be a surprise) your example was just demonstrating that high stats are better than low stats.
Yeah, good point. We are in agreement that when comparing builds, especially on a forum like this, then you've got to use point buy or standard array. As much as we would never allow point buy in actual play here.
(It wasn't my example btw.)
Old 06-07-2018, 09:10 PM   #40
DocRailgun

The only point buy I've ever seen used in a D&D setting is in 3rd/3.5ed organized play games when one was forved to use it. I've never known anyone who wasn't willing to take their chances rolling stats.

Quote:
It's always been a variant, just a variant that almost everyone used. In any case, when you're looking at balance issues, it's far better to use something other than rolling, because rolling attributes adds noise that swamps the signal. While it's possible clerics are overpowered in 5e (they've been overpowered in most editions, so it would not be a surprise) your example was just demonstrating that high stats are better than low stats.
DocRailgun is offline   Reply With Quote