Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-16-2017, 02:17 PM   #11
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#36): Digital Mind

Digital mind but with the Perk of voluntary disadvantage for removing it thereby defaulting to Gurps "human"?

I don't think that's the name of the Perk, but can't remember specifically what it's called.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:03 PM   #12
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Only if those copies are PCs or in the case of Duplication, Allies.
I suppose so.

Quote:
This is more than a feature. Humans can't shut down and be restarted, and being able to go into suspended animation requires Metabolism Control. Sapient machines without Digital Mind don't necessarily survive shutdown either.
You need additional hardware to do it with an infomorph. But you can use additional hardware (nanostasis chambers etc.), humans can be shut down without Metabolism Control.

Alternatively, someone with Digital Mind stranded in a low-tech place can't benefit from those things.

So too much seems to depend on things that are outside the trait itself. Same can apply e.g. to cloning of biological bodies, or to neural rewiring/bioxoxing.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:15 PM   #13
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
You need additional hardware to do it with an infomorph. But you can use additional hardware (nanostasis chambers etc.), humans can be shut down without Metabolism Control.
Why do you need additional hardware to box your current instantiation and then later reboot on the same shell?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:20 PM   #14
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Why do you need additional hardware to box your current instantiation and then later reboot on the same shell?
I consider that a feature of being a machine, not on how your CPU/brain processes information.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:34 PM   #15
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I consider that a feature of being a machine, not on how your CPU/brain processes information.
There are plenty of concepts for characters that have Machine that can't survive shutdown because you will effectively die if you do. Being a machine and having your consciousness be instantiable aren't equivalent.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:23 PM   #16
KarlKost

The trait isn't so much about Machine x Biological brain.

I suppose a Biorroid (biological android) could have this advantage, for example, IF his brain is produced in the correct way.

About being hacked and similar, you should be safe if you simply shut down your wi fi inside your head. So, while a technowizard can still "Magic hack" you, a regular hacker cannot do it so easily (unless your net connecting is an always on trait - something very stupid in the case of a free willed AI, pratically mandatory for slave (with slave mentality) machines). Well, technowizardry aint that common (as opposed to "regular" magic) in most settings, and yeah, there are a lot of catches about digital minds (for example, its easier to store your memory in external devices, as a safe guard against brainwashing, or even memory loss - or even as a prevention agaisnt "spilling secrets" - torture me all you wanna, I can tell what I don't know...)
KarlKost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 06:35 PM   #17
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
There are plenty of concepts for characters that have Machine that can't survive shutdown because you will effectively die if you do. Being a machine and having your consciousness be instantiable aren't equivalent.
They would only die if they suffered metabolic damage when inactive, which being a Machine would preclude.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:53 PM   #18
Bruno

Quote:
They would only die if they suffered metabolic damage when inactive, which being a Machine would preclude.
If I'm an AI and my instance exists solely in volatile memory, turning me off will wipe me to a clean slate. It's like playing a game with no save-game feature.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 06:58 PM   #19
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Not necessarily, total cyborgs have Machine per Ultratech; a clockwork automaton might have Machine and also have volatile mechanical memory, as might a nanotech construct or an alchemical golem.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:08 PM   #20
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Not necessarily, total cyborgs have Machine per Ultratech; a clockwork automaton might have Machine and also have volatile mechanical memory, as might a nanotech construct or an alchemical golem.
And that means human brains don't need oxygen, calories, or have any metabolic processes whatsoever. Since that's absurd, I tend to ignore that gaming rule.

Sure, machines MAY have all sorts of disadvantages that meat bags have, but those shouldn't be assumed unless stated, especially when they go against nearly all fiction involving robotic characters.

Tags
advantage, advantage of the week, digital mind, week, [basic]