Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-17-2018, 04:22 PM   #1
Bathawk

Default Death Note! How am I the first?

Hey all, I did a search and I can't believe I'm the first to broach this subject. But how would you create the ubiquitous "Death Note?"

Assumably It would be something like a 19th level "heart attack" affliction with malediction and linked to a powerful detect?...but the ability to choose how a person dies (not just mind control, but some manipulation of fate)?
Bathawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:55 PM   #2
Culture20

Default Re: Death Note! How am I the first?

A 15% linked wishing serendipity? (15 because the Death must always happen, but the serendipity is a choice)
And also puppet or mind control because the dying person’s actions can be controlled too. But still linked to the death.
Culture20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:26 PM   #3
zoncxs

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=38986
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:54 AM   #4
mikeejimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
Haha, I saw this thread and thought "Oh man, I'm pretty sure I thought about that once." Forgot I had ever brought it up on the forums though.
mikeejimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:10 AM   #5
Bathawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeejimbo View Post
Haha, I saw this thread and thought "Oh man, I'm pretty sure I thought about that once." Forgot I had ever brought it up on the forums though.
It's been ten years! I think I can be forgiven!

But I would link it to "Detect(death note victims) (precise +100%, analyzing +100%, link to affliction +10%, not a true sense (targeting only) -40%, long range/3 +150%) = 126pts.

the limitation: need to know persons face/name would probably be tacked onto the affliction...but would they be seperate limitations? and if so how much?..."gestures" for -10% certainly as he need to be able to write the name (is needing a pen also a limitation?)...and don't forget the ability to delay the effects once it's successful

all thats left is the fact that user can "choose" how a person dies. the reason the enhancement is called "heart attack +300%" instead of "instant death +300%" is because it allows a GM fiat to save person if some kind of aid is immediately applied...having a person hit by a truck, or impuslively commit suicide are still"preventable" actions....though not sure if (for example) a victim is told to get hit by a truck is pushed out of the way at the last second is "saved"...will they die of a heart attack after if stopped?...or is it impossible to avoid the fate once written?

There's also the mind control aspect Kira could make a victim board a bus, threaten everyone on board, pick up a page of a death note....all before he was killed

And don't forget the death note has another "affliction" granting See Invisble (supernatural creatures only -20%) +120%, permanent duration +150%
Bathawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 03:42 PM   #6
Varyon

From what I know of the ability, I'd be tempted to have it as two linked abilities - Affliction (Death) and Mind Control. Affliction (Death) is like Affliction (Heart Attack), but without an escape clause; I'd eyeball it at +400%. Both would have massive Area of Effect (enough to cover the entire planet) and Selective Area (the selection being done by name), and both would have a Variable Delay (to let the character dictate time). To make it irresistible, the Affliction would be extremely high level, and Mind Control would have an extreme amount of the Reliable Enhancement and No Rule of 16. I'd also give the character a limited form of Luck that only worked for these powers, to allow him to reroll 17's and 18's (and force the target to reroll 3's and 4's).

I'd never actually run a game with such a power in play, however. It wouldn't make for the sort of story I'd want to tell.

Tags
death note