Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 07-04-2018, 01:35 AM   #21
tanksoldier

Default Re: Radiation-eating vampire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
The level of actual security seems to depend on whom you listen to, the proud guys getting ready for an attack or the embarrassed guys writing the reports afterwards on how it all went wrong - which means that for gaming purposes the level of security can be anything the GM chooses to set. :)
Well, even at a lax civilian facility once the security staff realizes it's an actual intrusion most would still be falling all over themselves to get in on the action. Diversion tactics would probably work well. The differences between facilities mostly would be how quickly they realized it wasn't a false alarm of some kind, how they were equipped and how well and how often they trained.

A relatively under equipped security staff is going to offset that with pre-planned response by local law enforcement but I can't imagine even the most underfunded security isn't going to have some kind of QRF equipped with armor and long guns in addition to fixed posts and patrols.

Last edited by tanksoldier; 07-04-2018 at 01:40 AM.
tanksoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:23 AM   #22
David Johnston2

The thought that occurred to me is that if its a radiation-eating vampire then it should need radioactive blood so his schemes should involve exposing people to radiation so he can then feed on the people with radiation sickness.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:13 AM   #23
Flyndaran
Untagged

That's some grade A, 50's B movie material.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:10 PM   #24
Jack Sawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
That's some grade A, 50's B movie material.
Only if the radiation makes the vampire grow to be 60ft tall.
Jack Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:12 PM   #25
Jonas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
US civilian nuclear facilities, on the other hand, tend to be secured by the lowest bidder: desperately undermanned and underpaid, with lots of cameras and other sensors so that they can show off the shiny security control room to the shareholders. (With a huge false alarm rate, so any real alarm will probably be dismissed until a bunch of others start going off.)

And of course they all have the usual problem of forces like this, which is that there are approximately zero real threats, so even with the best will in the world they get complacent. In the military you can fix that to some extent with intense training.

And again, they don't know what an actual attack would look like. They can plan for what they think the bad guys might do, but chances are if it happens they'll do something else.

Remember Y-12 in 2012 (a DoE uranium enrichment facility run by a private contractor). If any of those people had actually wanted to get at the HEU, they wouldn't have had any problem. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y-12_N...clear_protests

Some of the first-hand accounts and incident reports I found while doing research for Meltdown & Fallout were frankly terrifying, and if I can find them so can bad guys. But for reasons which should be obvious I'm not going to cite my sources.
Don't forget about the Elderly Nuns who tresspassed onto the grounds of an active Minuteman 3 silo in late 2002.
----
Per ardua ad astra "Through hard-work to the stars."
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:36 PM   #26
L.J.Steele

Sadly, the PCs took down my vampire early, didn't get to the big boss fight
L.J.Steele is offline   Reply With Quote