Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 10-16-2015, 06:57 AM   #1
fifiste

Default Creating multiple templates that add leveled traits

HI,
Does anybody here have an idea what's the best way to create different templates that would add levels to leveled traits like magery, talents wealth etc.
When I create a template (save as template in file) that has wealth 1 and another one that has wealth 1 then try to load them boath I get complaints and then a duplicate entry of wealth 1 (no surprise there).
What I would like is to create such templates that loading one after the other you'd get wealth +2.
I'd go the idea to create a game that requires players to take two or three templates (frex. race+class like in that other game) some of them might give extra levels to leveled traits.

As an example ..Well as a dwarf you're rich.. as a dwarf merchant you're even richer.
Or as an elf you've got a a talent for magic as an elf born as sorcerer you've got even more oomph in your blood. (Esp. hard with magery I'd like to deduct from the template the magery 0 cost if we have templates of elf magery0,mager1 stacked with sorcerer --the same)
fifiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 01:55 PM   #2
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: Creating multiple templates that add leveled traits

Stacking the same advantage doesn't really work, as you've seen.

What you're basically limited to, if you want this kind of stacking, is having each template grant a bonus of its own to the target advantage. So, you might have Dwarven Wealth with +1 to AD:Wealth, and Wealthy Merchant with a +1 to AD:Wealth, and so on.

Each of those would probably also have a needs(AD:Wealth=0) also, to ensure that the character actually has Wealth to get the bonus. However, this will add Wealth at level 1, so if you don't have a clear and obvious 'base' trait to request that first level of Wealth, you'll have to be aware that your users might have to manually adjust that first level of Wealth back down by one, to eliminate the cost of that first level.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:31 AM   #3
fifiste

Default Re: Creating multiple templates that add leveled traits

Thanks a lot.
It seems that something can be worked out along these lines.
fifiste is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveled advantages, magery, talent, templates