Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-07-2014, 11:23 AM   #11
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: [Basic] Skill of the week: Accounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
While I've not had Accounting come up in a game, it comes up a lot in (well-written) fiction involving mercenary groups, and is likely to be equally useful for PCs who are in/running such groups.
It was even a subplot in one of Robert Asprin's Phule's Company books, where the captain's Jeeves-like butler (as skilled in Accounting as in anything else) had to fend off the sci-fi version of the IRS and keep the captain out of prison while the troops handled the crisis of the week. With, of course, the classic punchline:

Bewildered IRS agent: "Captain ... near as far as I can tell ... we owe you a g.d refund!"

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:37 AM   #12
Vynticator

A character running a large company discovered one of the young lads he had employed was fraudulently cooking the books via Accounting skill (the cooking, and the discovery). He was doing it so skilfullly, the character promoted the lad to a more significant role (like employing a hacker as an anti-virus software writer) and the company thrived as never before.

Nice little bit of side plot.
Vynticator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:26 PM   #13
sgtcallistan

Have played in a short Wild West campaign, and as a joke, only I knew why, I played 'Pete Favor, frontier accountant'.

The GM was good at his job:
We aided a near-illiterate deputy to discover who stole what,
aided someone to gain (legally) the kit of house parts that were being held by the railroad company (illegally),
and eventually was part of a surveyor's team that plotted a railroad route through difficult lands, ideally avoiding an Indian war, without going over budget.

A lot of fun, we only had two gunfights, and we got to improvise diving gear and recover gold from a riverbed. ;)
sgtcallistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:07 PM   #14
Otaku

Accounting might be able to be used "offensively", though probably not alone. Didn't think of it before reading this thread, but if you can cook the books for yourself, investigate someone else's fraudulent records for fun and profit (and maybe even justice)... couldn't someone with the Accountant skill use it to frame someone?

If it is appropriate to the level of detail, varying how much of a player's Wealth is available as discretionary income could vary according to a skill like Accounting; players that aren't as good at tracking their money may tie up or "waste" more of it.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:56 PM   #15
Peter Knutsen
Banned

How come nobody has mentioned Al Capone yet?
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:33 PM   #16
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
How come nobody has mentioned Al Capone yet?
You just did. :)

Seriously, though, it seems a little sad that after all the things he did, the only charge they could get to stick was tax evasion based on auditing his accountants' books.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accounting, basic, skill, skill of the week, skills