Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-17-2013, 06:19 AM   #1
Onkl

Default [Basic] No Legs (Sessile)

Hi guys

In a campaign I run, the party found the core computational unit of an AI. One of the players developed a rapport with it and wants to buy it as an Ally. Now, since it is "just a metal box" I gave it the disadvantages No Legs (Sessile).

My question is: The character who's ally this AI will become is a Gadgeteer. And I am certain that he will try to mount the AI in different vehicles which he intends the AI then to use to move around, eg. a helicopter or a car.

If the NPC AI is mounted in a helicopter, is it still ok that it has the "No Legs (Sessile)" disadvantage? In the description it just says that I can not move under its own power and lack the option of using a mobile platform. As you can imagine, the second part of this sentence got me thinking..

If I take a look at the other options in the basic set, I don't think any of them are any more appropriate. But I don't think No Legs (Sessile) is correct?!

What would you do?

Cheers

Onkl
Onkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:35 AM   #2
Walrus

Default Re: [Basic] No Legs (Sessile)

There's No Legs (Portable) [-30] variant of that in Thaumathology, p.119, intended explicitly for Items as characters.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:39 AM   #3
Onkl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
There's No Legs (Portable) [-30] variant of that in Thaumathology, p.119, intended explicitly for Items as characters.
The disadvantage you suggested appears to be a perfect fit for what he has in mind. Thanks master, another lession learned! :)

*bows*

Cheers

Onkl
Onkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:47 AM   #4
Ulzgoroth

While 120 pounds may be a tad on the heavy side, No Legs (portable) would probably be the way to go. It can be found in Thaumatology (for intelligent magic items) and Transhuman Space: Changing Times. If you cannot obtain the official advantage, I'd suggest outright re-invention.

It gives a bit less in the way of points than Sessile, and doesn't guarantee your stability, but indicates that the character can simply be picked up and carried away, where Sessile implies that doing so is a major production.

(Of course, a tree would typically be No Legs (Sessile), but any small tree could be transported by helicopter. Most would need to be re-planted in the ground for the long term, though.)

Ack, ninja.

Tags
basic, disadvantage, no legs, sessile