Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-03-2012, 02:39 PM   #31
NineDaysDead
Banned

Default Re: "A Song of Ice and Fire" characters

You know what might help? Setting out an Attribute table with all the major characters on it, something like this:

ST 7: Tyrion
ST 14: Jamie
ST 18: Sandor
ST 24: Gregor

IQ 7: Hodor
IQ 16: Tyrion

etc.

Numbers just made up on the spot.

That would give you a guide to their relative levels.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #32
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
I'd say it's more like killing them instantly without an HT roll, so enough damage to take them down to -5*HP.
Since it's possible to survive being cut in half, the minimum should be lower than 6XHP.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #33
cosmicfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
You know what might help? Setting out an Attribute table with all the major characters on it, something like this:

ST 7: Tyrion
ST 14: Jamie
ST 18: Sandor
ST 24: Gregor

IQ 7: Hodor
IQ 16: Tyrion

etc.

Numbers just made up on the spot.

That would give you a guide to their relative levels.
This is ALWAYS a good idea when laying out a system of characters or templates. I usually create a matrix - characters/templates down the left with each column being a different attribute, characteristic, or skill. It really helps with keeping everything balanced and avoiding preposterous outliers.
cosmicfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:16 PM   #34
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
I'd say it's more like killing them instantly without an HT roll, so enough damage to take them down to -5*HP.
So he does like 11d+20 damage or something? Don't you think ST 80 is a little high?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:44 PM   #35
Langy

Quote:
Any reason why? Do you just dislike the idea that the HT roll determines whether something physical happens or not? How do you feel about the RAW example of 'cutting off someone's head is just a special effect of a death due to a cutting attack on the neck'? Do you think that should require bringing someone down to -5xHP, too?
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:14 PM   #36
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Any reason why? Do you just dislike the idea that the HT roll determines whether something physical happens or not? How do you feel about the RAW example of 'cutting off someone's head is just a special effect of a death due to a cutting attack on the neck'? Do you think that should require bringing someone down to -5xHP, too?
If Gregor is ST 80 what does that say about Prince Oberyn?! Or Gregor's horse.

In fact Gregor's Horse is a whole weird feedback loop. It needs to be strong enough to carry him, which means more HP, which means Gregor needs to do more damage to behead it, which means Gregor is stronger which means....

I guess Gregor can have Massless HP. Or Striking ST 80. Or ST ?/80 (Super-Effort).... But really?
Old 07-03-2012, 09:45 PM   #37
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
If Gregor is ST 80 what does that say about Prince Oberyn?! Or Gregor's horse.

In fact Gregor's Horse is a whole weird feedback loop. It needs to be strong enough to carry him, which means more HP, which means Gregor needs to do more damage to behead it, which means Gregor is stronger which means....

I guess Gregor can have Massless HP. Or Striking ST 80. Or ST ?/80 (Super-Effort).... But really?
Agreed that it's pretty bad, but it's possible that Gregor also has Weapon Master (giving a big damage bonus itself) and he either rolls really well for damage or gets a critical hit and one of the damage multipliers when he cuts people in half. His greatsword might also be Fine or Very Fine, again giving a nice bonus to damage.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:55 PM   #38
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Agreed that it's pretty bad, but it's possible that Gregor also has Weapon Master (giving a big damage bonus itself)
I'd personally prefer to reserve Weapon Master for guys like Syrio Forel, or the Daystar. Gregor's big distinctions are that he's as cold-blooded a sociopath as is probably humanly possible (Callous, Bloodlust, Sadism and Bully at least) and he's SM 1 and one of if not the strongest person in Westeros.
Quote:
His greatsword might also be Fine or Very Fine, again giving a nice bonus to damage.
Maybe. He's a Lannister Bannerman but he's not really rich himself, I think. "Castle-Forged" is probably "Good" in GURPS terms.

At any rate he doesn't need be that strong. It's pretty obvious that Figleaf23 is simply wrong. It doesn't take as much energy to cut somebody in half as it does to penatrate an engine block.

I do wonder about whether the mounted bonus really ought to be per die though.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:04 PM   #39
cosmicfish

Just thought I would introduce a quick note on behalf of sanity - just because he performed a particular act of strength or proficiency once doesn't mean he can do it every time, or even usually. If he can do his "greatest" documented act with a critical hit, then that is all he needs to do.

I would also put the Mountain more towards the brute strength and good steel side of things than on the finesse and weapon mastery side - regardless of the Hound's comments, there is nothing to indicate astonishing proficiency on his part, just solid ability matched with his absurd physique.
cosmicfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:08 PM   #40
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Oh and Barristan Selmy absolutely is The Batman. I mean a Weapon Master (all weapons probably, at least Knightly Weapons + Quarterstaff, could be Westeros Weapons, I suppose).

Tags
a song of ice and fire, game of thrones