Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-22-2019, 09:29 AM   #1
Bathawk

Default "Instant" weakness/vulnerability question

How would you cost a disadvantage when a character takes immediate damage from a substance/condition? A fire elemental would take damage from mere contact with water, and in fiction holy water acts like acid to a vampire, And in many cases a silver object will burn a werewolf if he even holds it

"weakness" inflicts damage due to exposure over time (at least a minute of exposure), while vulnerability only multiplies existing damage, but has no effect if there is no "base" damage
Bathawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:38 AM   #2
awesomenessofme1

Default Re: "Instant" weakness/vulnerability question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathawk View Post
How would you cost a disadvantage when a character takes immediate damage from a substance/condition? A fire elemental would take damage from mere contact with water, and in fiction holy water acts like acid to a vampire, And in many cases a silver object will burn a werewolf if he even holds it

"weakness" inflicts damage due to exposure over time (at least a minute of exposure), while vulnerability only multiplies existing damage, but has no effect if there is no "base" damage
I believe, although it's not entirely clear from the text, that Weakness applies once immediately and then at the listed interval. I think it's explicitly described that way in a supplement when it comes to holy water.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 12:52 PM   #3
Hide

Yeah, you should treat the damage as if it was cyclic attack damage (B103). You deal damage on contact, and then you deal damage after a given time of exposure to the hazard.

For more ideas, you could check this post.
Old 05-22-2019, 01:06 PM   #4
awesomenessofme1

Regarding the linked post, I like to have point totals for my NPCs and monsters, so I ended up statting something related to this out. Reducing the time of Weakness to 1d/sec is Quickened 6, +120%. What I used it for was giving my vampires a modern "crumble to dust almost instantly in sunlight" effect.
Old 05-22-2019, 01:10 PM   #5
Brandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathawk View Post

Isn't it the case with weakness when you're exposed you take the damage instantly for any exposure, and then cycle the damage again if the exposure is continuous for the period?
Old 05-22-2019, 01:11 PM   #6
Brandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
Regarding the linked post, I like to have point totals for my NPCs and monsters, so I ended up statting something related to this out. Reducing the time of Weakness to 1d/sec is Quickened 6, +120%. What I used it for was giving my vampires a modern "crumble to dust almost instantly in sunlight" effect.
That's the same thing that Kromm suggests here.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:38 PM   #7
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandy View Post
That's the same thing that Kromm suggests here.
Yep, although at that point Quickened had never appeared in any official supplements. I can't remember where, but it did appear at some point.