Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-21-2016, 04:50 PM   #31
dom1

Default Re: JCSP character management tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsp View Post
First, are you using the 1-page or the 2-page 3rd-edition sheet? The 1-page sheet doesn't do body parts . . . If you are using the 2-page sheet, have you done the shift-click-to-use bit to the armo(u)r? A character can be carrying armor without wearing it - armor needs to be 'worn' to affect DR and such.
Two page sheet, nope, not done that, I'll give that a go :)

[EDIT] Cool - that works a treat!

Quote:
Yeah, that font . . . I have been noodling around with various fonts for a while, trying to find something that looks vaguely hand-written, but isn't also weird and hard to read. The handwriting fonts all seem to vary quite significantly by browser and operating system, especially in size. So I'm not happy with it yet, either. Perhaps offering a few options as a preference would help with this. Perhaps I should simply give up on the handwritten look and be practical (which is to say, go back to something much more standard). The short answer is 'no', there isn't a way to change it, except to ask me, at the moment.

Eww, I see what you mean (just looked in Safari/Mac). That's not actually the fault of the font, but the CSS I used to format the text boxes for Appearance, Point Total, and a few other places. This is another thing that varies maddeningly between browsers and OS's, but I must try to nail it down a bit better.
No worries, I'll wait to see what you come up with! It really is the best tool I've found online to help me get my characters written up in a quick and efficient manner so I'm very happy to wait for further refinements when you get the time :)

Last edited by dom1; 06-21-2016 at 04:55 PM. Reason: To show result of testing the proferred solution
dom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 04:59 PM   #32
Bruno

The "document looks wrong on different platforms/programs/hardware" is exactly what PDF was invented for. I don't know what your backend software is, but is it possible for you to serve up a PDF of the final character sheet as generated on your server? Font embedding is one of the core features, and would resolve the portability problem.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:44 PM   #33
jcsp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
The "document looks wrong on different platforms/programs/hardware" is exactly what PDF was invented for. I don't know what your backend software is, but is it possible for you to serve up a PDF of the final character sheet as generated on your server? Font embedding is one of the core features, and would resolve the portability problem.
You're quite right about that, Bruno. Without going into technical details, there is a slim possibility that I could do that, but likely I cannot. This package doesn't really have a 'back-end'; as it is designed so that you can just put the files on your own computer if you like (no 'installation') and point your browser at the HTML pages. The final sheets are generated on the client computer, by your browser, no matter where the files live. This may be a weak point for JCSP, for some users.

I have also designed a lot of interactivity into the sheet, which would be lost in a static PDF.

There are other ways to achieve consistency across browser/OS changes when using HTML and CSS (as this package does). I need to test things that I change a bit more carefully and apply these techniques if needed - I think the bit Dom ran into was in a recently-updated part of that sheet. Sigh - there is only one of me, and I must do this in my spare time. No excuses though - if it doesn't work well, people won't use it!
Old 06-22-2016, 03:04 PM   #34
Frost

Brilliant work, my new favourite gaming tool.

One small problem I have found is that on some of the sheets, your personal version of the 4e sheet is the big one, setting a language to native changes the levels to none/ illiterate.

Also cultural familiarities tend to go walk about for some reason.

Last edited by Frost; 06-22-2016 at 03:21 PM.
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:23 PM   #35
jcsp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
Brilliant work, my new favourite gaming tool.
Thank you; it's quite nice to be appreciated - especially for something my wife feels is a great waste of my time ;)

Quote:
One small problem I have found is that on some of the sheets, your personal version of the 4e sheet is the big one, setting a language to native changes the levels to none/ illiterate.
Yeah, and then you can't even edit it to be correct! Yes, the languages machinery has a bug in it somewhere. I know about this, but I haven't been able to fix it yet, because I don't quite understand what it's doing wrong. It's on my to-do list.

As a workaround, it should be possible to delete the offending language and re-take it, marking it as 'native' in the Languages form. If you then want to re-order them, I think you can do that too.

Quote:
Also cultural familiarities tend to go walk about for some reason.
I shall look into this, it's not a bug I've noticed before. Thanks for reporting it.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:34 AM   #36
giggioz

Thanks for this great tool!

It's clean, fast, works on browser...i like it so much!

I've found a bug :
when you add Dependant disadvantage the console in chrome gives this error

[initializeSheet] error when accessing sessionStorage:
INVALID_CHARACTER_ERR: DOM Exception 5

and the sheet resets!

Do you have a roadmap for this tool, are you working on some functionalities right now?

Thanks!
giggioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 04:11 PM   #37
jcsp

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggioz View Post
Thanks for this great tool!

It's clean, fast, works on browser...i like it so much!
Thank you! Now, on to making it better:

Quote:
I've found a bug :
when you add Dependant disadvantage the console in chrome gives this error

[initializeSheet] error when accessing sessionStorage:
INVALID_CHARACTER_ERR: DOM Exception 5

and the sheet resets!
There are a few odd non-standard characters in the library (i.e. rules) files. My guess is you hit one that is part of the Dependent disad; probably a '≤' sign. (Let's see if SJgames forum software chokes too!) I have been replacing these with HTML entities (like "≤", for this one) but I'm not done. Not all browsers care about all of these, so they pop up somewhat inconsistently. I'll deal with this one now, so it will be right for the next version.

If this (text) character got into your (GURPS) character file, and you saved it, it may continue to burp on it. You may want to try this: open the [character_name].gurps file using a text editor, go to the 'traits' section of the data there, find the Dependent trait, and see if you can spot something odd. If so, edit it and save. Be careful not to change anything structural, and it should still work.

Quote:
Do you have a roadmap for this tool, are you working on some functionalities right now?

Thanks!
The tool is still definitely under development. I'm working on several new things, and I have a release just about ready. This one will have mostly bug fixes, and some minor improvements. Also a couple of new 'themes' (the color and style options). Bigger things in the next release...
Old 11-17-2016, 10:51 AM   #38
jcsp

JCSP version 1.8 released. Notable changes:
  • Random character generation has been substantially improved.
  • Two new 'themes', and some polishing of the existing ones.
  • Two new character sheet layouts.
  • Many large and small improvements to equipment, both in the data library and the way things are handled.

Visit the JCSP web address below.
Old 11-17-2016, 12:37 PM   #39
JMD

Quote:
  • Many large and small improvements to equipment, both in the data library and the way things are handled.

Awesome! Do you have any analytics on your site? How's it going?

Also you should join us on the gurps discord and promote this app!

https://discord.gg/zBSvZ

All the other app creators are there, come chat with us.
JMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:50 PM   #40
dom1

Quote:

Great stuff Jim, thanks for the 3e NPC card - that will prove very useful for me. Now to test it out on some of new characters, I'll let you know any feedback after that :)
dom1 is offline   Reply With Quote