Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-15-2015, 02:28 PM   #1
JMD

Default Alternate Form (Absorptive Change)

Is there a way to have different item sets per alternate form?

For example, I have a human with 2 alternate forms, a bear and a wolf. I have armor on the human, but would like to have armor for the bear and wolf as well.

Is it possible to have the armor emerge when I shift into bear form, then remerge when I go to another form? If this isn't possible in RAW, how would you stat this?
JMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 03:00 PM   #2
CeeDub

Default Re: Alternate Form (Absorptive Change)

Hmmm, interesting question. You could give the Alternate Forms the Payload advantage. Just make sure you have enough "room" for all your stuff.
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 03:38 PM   #3
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

I personally feel that purchasing Absorptive Change twice would let you absorb your gear when shifting either way, meaning that if someone put some armor on while you were in the alternate form, it would disappear when you shifted back to your natural form, but it would reappear when you shifted to wolf again.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 06:49 AM   #4
JMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
I personally feel that purchasing Absorptive Change twice would let you absorb your gear when shifting either way, meaning that if someone put some armor on while you were in the alternate form, it would disappear when you shifted back to your natural form, but it would reappear when you shifted to wolf again.
This is a neat idea, and I think it makes sense for what I'm trying to do. So the character can just have +15% for heavy encumbrance bought twice for a total of +30%. That seems fair.

Would you suggest that "Heavy Encumbrance" is purely based on the original form, or should I split the difference by having all items the original form absorbs be based on their ST, and the cumulative absorption of all the other forms be based on the alternate form with the highest ST?
Old 10-16-2015, 07:06 AM   #5
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD View Post
This is a neat idea, and I think it makes sense for what I'm trying to do. So the character can just have +15% for heavy encumbrance bought twice for a total of +30%. That seems fair.

Would you suggest that "Heavy Encumbrance" is purely based on the original form, or should I split the difference by having all items the original form absorbs be based on their ST, and the cumulative absorption of all the other forms be based on the alternate form with the highest ST?
I would make it so what each form absorbs is based on their encumbrance levels, so if one of your forms a feline with ST 5, and you're limited to no encumbrance, it will only let you absorb up to 5 lbs. I would not require that you buy the same level of absorptive change for all forms, so if one of your forms is a super strong gorilla that only needs up to no encumbrance for it's gear, and the other is a normal human that needs heavy encumbrance, then you would pay heavy encumbrance for the human to gorilla change, and no encumbrance for the gorilla to human change
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:05 AM   #6
JMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
I would make it so what each form absorbs is based on their encumbrance levels, so if one of your forms a feline with ST 5, and you're limited to no encumbrance, it will only let you absorb up to 5 lbs. I would not require that you buy the same level of absorptive change for all forms, so if one of your forms is a super strong gorilla that only needs up to no encumbrance for it's gear, and the other is a normal human that needs heavy encumbrance, then you would pay heavy encumbrance for the human to gorilla change, and no encumbrance for the gorilla to human change
Great solution, thanks! I'm going to stat it all out and see how the prices work out and see how interested my player is.

Thanks again.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:13 AM   #7
KataH

Is the use of Absorptive Change:an all or nothing use? Meaning can I absorb SOME of the gear (that which is not comparable with the Alternate Form) and transform with other?
For example: I have a Human who changes to a Minotaur. The armor will not fit BUT can I keep the sword the human is carrying from being Absorbed?

"Follow me if I advance! Kill me if I retreat! Avenge me if I die!"
KataH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:04 AM   #8
Gumby Bush

If you want to designate what gets absorbed on-the-fly, I'd enhance Absorptive Change with a version of Selective Area (+20%). If you want to specify something static rule for what is absorbed, like "weapons are not absorbed, armor, backpacks, etc., are," I'd rule it a feature.

If you have time, you could always put the sword down, then transform, then pick the sword back up.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:58 PM   #9
KataH

All are good ideas. Thanks.

"Follow me if I advance! Kill me if I retreat! Avenge me if I die!"
KataH is offline   Reply With Quote