Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-03-2019, 11:44 PM   #1
torgo

Default 4e swiss army hand

Hi there,
I'm just about to start GMing a new cyberpunk style game, and one of my players' character concept includes a cybernetic hand with a suite of gadgets and tools in it. Sort of a swiss army knife in her hand, including a lighter/blowtorch, screwdriver and possibly a scalpel (maybe more).
My problem is that i have no idea how to go about building this using basic set and ultra tech.
any suggestions would be appreciated.
TL is 9-10, and if it helps at all the character concept involves a handyman / janitor type that has been forcibly inhabited by a rogue AI on the run from a megacorp.

thanks!
torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:54 PM   #2
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Default Re: 4e swiss army hand

The easiest way would be to have a one-point modular ability pool that allows the player to buy any hand-sized tool as an accessory perk.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:08 AM   #3
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
The easiest way would be to have a one-point modular ability pool that allows the player to buy any hand-sized tool as an accessory perk.
Yep.

Swiss Army Hand [2] (Modular Abilities: Cosmic 1 CP Pool (10) (Usuable for only for Accessory Perks -80%))
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:26 AM   #4
Gef

Looks like 2 folks beat me to the same answer, except Donny left out Physical +50%, net cost 7 (but you can counter that slightly with Temporary Disads like Electrical or Maintenance).
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:20 AM   #5
torgo

ok,
looks like the consensus is the modular abilities. thanks for the assist!
would i just add that points cost straight on top of the cost of a cyberhand from ultra tech?
torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 04:42 AM   #6
Aldric

Since everyone seems to like modular abilities.

I'd probably build the blowtorch as an innate attack (with a very short range) and all the other tools as alternate abilities.

But that's because I like alternate abilities
Aldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 04:56 AM   #7
Anaraxes

Just for the sake of completeness, there's also the Gizmo Advantage. "Always has the tool for the job" is pretty much what it was meant to handle. More expensive than the MA, though, even with the limited uses.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:35 AM   #8
Gumby Bush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldric View Post
Since everyone seems to like modular abilities.

I'd probably build the blowtorch as an innate attack (with a very short range) and all the other tools as alternate abilities.

But that's because I like alternate abilities
One could build the blowtorch as a Burning Attack (Reach C, 1, no parry -25%; Electrical -20%; Temporary Disadvantage, 1 hand, -15%; Alternate Ability of Modular Abilities) [2/lvl]; and then the rest as Modular Abilities (Cosmic, 1 CP pool; Accessory Perks Only -80%; Physical Only +50%; Electrical -20%; Temporary Disadvantage, 1 hand, -15%; Alternate Ability of Blowtorch) [4];

Total is either cost of the blowtorch +1 or [5], depending on how powerful the blowtorch is (I didn't look at UT for blowtorch stats, so that might alter some of the modifiers on the innate attack).

One could potentially buy One Hand [-15]; and then Not One Handed (Electrical -20%; alternate of modular ability and Burning Attack) [12] in lieu of the temporary disadvantage (raising costs to [2.75/lvl] and [5]), in which case cost is likely a total [-1] or [0].
Old 06-04-2019, 09:40 AM   #9
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gef View Post
Looks like 2 folks beat me to the same answer, except Donny left out Physical +50%, net cost 7 (but you can counter that slightly with Temporary Disads like Electrical or Maintenance).
This also depends a bit how cinematic you want the game to be. If the idea is "I somehow always have the exact tool I need for the current problem, because I'm just that cool", then this is a good way to do it. If you want to be a little bit more realistic/gritty about it, you should take another limitation, "Must specify which five tools you're bringing along today when you leave your home base", worth maybe -40%, which brings the cost back down.

(I'm assuming five because one per finger seems right. Tastes may vary.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Just for the sake of completeness, there's also the Gizmo Advantage. "Always has the tool for the job" is pretty much what it was meant to handle. More expensive than the MA, though, even with the limited uses.
Indeed, but the cost for this can be reduced by taking the Small, Very Small, or Tiny and Specific Container limitations from GURPS Steampunk 3, which are entirely appropriate here. You'll need to take it several times, to allow for multiple tools, of course. Hence, Gizmo will probably end up costing a little bit more than Modular Abilities; however, strictly speaking, by the rules as written, an Accessory perk probably shouldn't be used to produce a weapon, whereas a Gizmo can allow you to have a gun or a knife or something. ("Oh look, my index finger is a derringer today.")
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:38 PM   #10
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gef View Post
Ah, yes, true.
It probably qualifies for Cybernetic -10% as well.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote