Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 05-12-2005, 03:19 PM   #1
the_dark_one

Default Secret Roles?

Is it possible to have a Role that is tied to an individual who's identity is not known? An international terrorist for example. His pattern is known, as are some of his associates, maybe even his fingerprints. No one, however, knows what he looks like or what his name is (he is widely known as the Jackal, for example). How would this sort of thing work ?

Also, a Role as a terrorist or a serial killer would seem to be pretty powerful as it gives a demon the chance to cause destruction and death without disturbing the sympthony; this is, after all, what such people do.

Last edited by the_dark_one; 05-12-2005 at 04:05 PM.
the_dark_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 03:58 PM   #2
milliken

Default Re: Secret Roles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dark_one
Is it possible to have a Rle that is tied to an individual who's identity is not known? An international terrorist for example. His pattern is known, as are some of his associates, maybe even his fingerprints. No one, however, knows what he looks like or what his name is (he is widely known as the Jackal, for example). How would this sort of thing work.
This is similar to the problem of Kyriotates having Roles -- it's possible, sort of, but very difficult.

As a GM, I'd say this sort of thing is only possible if the Role is known to, or otherwise frequently interacts with, at least some reasonably big group of people. In this case, it could be other people in the terrorist underground, for example. But I'd say that forging such a Role would require some amount of interaction with the regular corporeal parts of the Symphony, so the theme got woven into it properly. Just running around and blowing things up solo wouldn't be enough, in my opinion. (Besides being *horribly* noisy until the Role was established....)

Quote:
Also, a Role as a terrorist or a serial killer would seem to be pretty powerful as it gives a demon the chance to cause destruction and death without disturbing the sympthony; this is, after all, what such people do.
Yes, but it's going to be tough while the Role is being established, and it's also not guaranteed to suppress disturbance, it only gives a chance of doing so.

---Walter
milliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 04:45 PM   #3
the_dark_one

Quote:
As a GM, I'd say this sort of thing is only possible if the Role is known to, or otherwise frequently interacts with, at least some reasonably big group of people.
I'm thinking that a properly constructed role would also include corporeal evidence (such as fingerprints, handwritten notes to authorities, etc.). It could also mean that people know just enough to establish the identity. These people could even be part of the organizations trying to stop him (like an FBI Agent the demon has deliberatetly allowed in his organization to establish his identity with the authorities.) Such an identity would also establish the existance of "The Jackal" in the eyes of the Host (like Dominic's Angels in Interpol, the CIA, and the FBI). They might assume that this is the work of a human.

Also, the concept of nested Roles occurs to me. The idea that Reverend Bill, the leader of the "Church of Human Ascension" (which believes in racial purity and is fantatically anti-technology and believes in establishing a religious government with absolute power) and the international terrorist called Mr. Vandemar are the same person is intruiging to me...

Last edited by the_dark_one; 05-13-2005 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:15 AM   #4
RadLilim

Quote:
It could also mean that people know just enough to establish the identity. These people could even be part of the organizations trying to stop him (like an FBI Agent the demon has deliberatetly allowed in his organization to establish his identity with the authorities.)
The flip side to this is the Role of a janitor or something that allows the celestrial to fly under the radar. If there is some government agency with records and proof that the terriorist role exists, that gives them even more validation than a role that only has a driver's licence and is maybe on a pay role some where.

The Role without the face of the person known is actually stronger and better known than that of the guy you see mopping the floors every day. The first one might be on TV or in the papers.

Wanna buy one? - Radueriel, Free Lilim
RadLilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 03:47 PM   #5
the_dark_one

Quote:
Yes, but it's going to be tough while the Role is being established, and it's also not guaranteed to suppress disturbance, it only gives a chance of doing so.
Actually, this could serve a dual prupose if the Role is to be established during play (if I ever get to play the character, I'll probably handle it that way). This could serve as a way to distract the Host. While most of the party is being secretive, the terrorist demon is all the way across town, blowing stuff up and killing people (this guides the attention of the Host away from the covert team and helps establish the Role).
Old 05-13-2005, 04:58 PM   #6
milliken

Quote:
I'm thinking that a properly constructed role would also include corporeal evidence (such as fingerprints, handwritten notes to authorities, etc.). It could also mean that people know just enough to establish the identity. These people could even be part of the organizations trying to stop him (like an FBI Agent the demon has deliberatetly allowed in his organization to establish his identity with the authorities.)
Yes, this is probably possible, though corporeal evidence is the least part of a Role. Establishing such a highly-destructive Role without serious problems from the Host is unlikely, though. And even the corporeal authorities could be a problem -- they may not be up to dealing with demonic powers, but there are a lot of humans.

---Walter
milliken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roles