Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Notices

Old 02-20-2018, 08:56 PM   #1311
kmunoz

Default Re: Report To The Stakeholders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
GURPS doesn’t stream as well as story games do. I think supporting these online shows is important but in ways that make sense for the specific game
It does surprisingly well in podcast form (The Film Reroll), when it's run by improv actors. And the conceit of that podcast amplifies the advantages of GURPS.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:33 AM   #1312
JMason

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmunoz View Post
It does surprisingly well in podcast form (The Film Reroll), when it's run by improv actors. And the conceit of that podcast amplifies the advantages of GURPS.
The Film Reroll is amazing, but has a couple of drawbacks. First, they seem adverse to mentioning that they are playing GURPS. I don't know why this is, but I don't think I every recall them mentioning the game system and only found out about it when I found one of the character sheets they had posted. This is despite me often searching specifically for GURPS content podcasts.

Also, it is audio only, and (anecdotally) I know fewer and fewer folks just listening to podcasts and instead spending more time watching videos (sometimes just videos of pod casts).

Now, I do think it would translate really well to an animated style, even if just short bits of it at a time are done. I've seen fans animate bits of Critical Roll, but it's audience is (I assume) considerably larger than Film Reroll and thus more likely to have fan animators. If I had any animation talent I'd reach out to the creators and see about working on videos, but unfortunately I do not.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:46 AM   #1313
David Johansen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Žorkell View Post
Looking over my post perhaps I should have phrased one of the questions as "Is the GURPS hardcover dead?"
No, just the mass market print run GURPS hardcover.
David Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:42 AM   #1314
kmunoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMason View Post
The Film Reroll is amazing, but has a couple of drawbacks. First, they seem adverse to mentioning that they are playing GURPS. I don't know why this is, but I don't think I every recall them mentioning the game system and only found out about it when I found one of the character sheets they had posted. This is despite me often searching specifically for GURPS content podcasts.

Also, it is audio only, and (anecdotally) I know fewer and fewer folks just listening to podcasts and instead spending more time watching videos (sometimes just videos of pod casts).

Now, I do think it would translate really well to an animated style, even if just short bits of it at a time are done. I've seen fans animate bits of Critical Roll, but it's audience is (I assume) considerably larger than Film Reroll and thus more likely to have fan animators. If I had any animation talent I'd reach out to the creators and see about working on videos, but unfortunately I do not.

You're moving the goalposts, though.

My point was that The Film Reroll is an example of a non-storytelling RPG podcast that does well and is entertaining. The system underlying an roleplaying production doesn't have to be minimalist or numbers-light, if the people involved know how to make it entertaining.

Yes, they rarely mention the game system. They mentioned it quite a bit in the first episode, but not after. So they've mentioned it exactly 1 more time than, say, Dan Harmon mentions Pathfinder in HarmonQuest. But to expect them to mention it more is to misconstrue the focus and nature of their podcast (and to misconstrue the reason I use them as an example).

If they had any reason to mention GURPS, they would. But they don't. They're not advertising the system. Their goal isn't to get more people to play it. But if it were, the amount of adjustment they'd have to do to get there is minimal.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:45 AM   #1315
JMason

Quote:
You're moving the goalposts, though.

<snip>
Point taken. I was just trying to say that the Film Reroll comes close to filling the desire that trooper6 (and others previously) have for an actual play series that would increase GURPS exposure, but lacks a few key things needed to actually do that. I personally find that a bit disappointing as a missed opportunity.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:36 PM   #1316
Magesmiley

Quote:
Launch and bring to a successful close the Kickstarter project for the new edition of Car Wars, with the game set for release to project backers in 2019 or 2020.
I was a bit curious if there was going to be any additional information or updates planned for the near future in regards to this particular item from the 2018 priorities. It's been awhile since the community has received anything new on the upcoming edition of Car Wars.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:36 AM   #1317
HunterS
Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
I was a bit curious if there was going to be any additional information or updates planned for the near future in regards to this particular item from the 2018 priorities. It's been awhile since the community has received anything new on the upcoming edition of Car Wars.
As always, when we have news about it, we'll share it, but currently it's still in development.
HunterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:18 AM   #1318
Kalzazz

How is the Discworld RPG doing? I didn't see it mentioned
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:54 AM   #1319
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
How is the Discworld RPG doing? I didn't see it mentioned
It made the top 40. I think 34?
REFPLace GURPS Landing Page
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
Pyramid Writers Group Pt II
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 01:25 AM   #1320
Bengt

Quote:
This sounded entertaining, and it was. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMason View Post
Having binged since I saw these posts, they do mention it in passing on occasion.
Bengt is offline   Reply With Quote