Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2018, 12:03 PM   #11
Skarg
 
Join Date: May 2015
Default Re: Expansions and Splat books for TFT.

What I'd want:

* Counter and map books with lots of nice TFT-style counters for all sorts of things, dropped weapon counters, terrain maps, tileable maps. Printed and/or in PDF with instructions to give to a copy shop on how to print them well on card stock. (Note these would all be perfect for use with GURPS too.)

* Books about various ways to flesh out and detail the Cidri-style guilds. We had a lot of fun with the Wizards Guild, Scholars Guild, and some with the Mercenaries and Mechanicians. I wouldn't make it too rigid but would suggest various ways they can be fleshed out. What rivalries between guild branches and factions could be like, how their power/trade might interact with powerful individuals such as rulers.

* Books about gaming out overland adventures. Mapping & getting lost, wilderness survival, vehicles and pack animals vs. terrain, weather & shelter, deserts, climbing, crossing rivers, boating.

* A set of guidelines for converting GURPS material to TFT (hello instant hundreds of books of content).

* Advanced/optional rules, or a catalog of common house rules.

* Mass combat and/or squad/company-scale combat.

* Naval combat/adventure (I used both Ramspeed & Wooden Ships & Iron Men, plus TFT boarding actions when PCs were aboard a ship where that happened).
Skarg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 12:19 PM   #12
JLV
 
JLV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Far northern California
Default Re: Expansions and Splat books for TFT.

I'd actually like to see something akin to GURPS Mass Combat, only for TFT. Metagaming tried this with Lords of the Underearth, but the wheels came off when they tried to "explain" how you converted groups of TFT characters into "combat units" in LoU. But I still think some kind of system should be fairly "easy" to generate considering the basic work is already done in Mass Combat; and you don't have to worry about the entire gamut of Tech Levels in TFT.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 03:47 PM   #13
Skarg
 
Join Date: May 2015
Default Re: Expansions and Splat books for TFT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
I'd actually like to see something akin to GURPS Mass Combat, only for TFT. Metagaming tried this with Lords of the Underearth, but the wheels came off when they tried to "explain" how you converted groups of TFT characters into "combat units" in LoU. But I still think some kind of system should be fairly "easy" to generate considering the basic work is already done in Mass Combat; and you don't have to worry about the entire gamut of Tech Levels in TFT.
Yeah, I used a wargame system for my TFT campaigns, with 100-figure units, 100-meter hexes, and GM fudging of unit values based on the ancient/medieval wargame I was adapting the rules from, and some guidelines I came up with. I liked having a system to resolve battles in the campaign, even though the players were almost never involved or even witnessing the details. I like having a concrete context for the larger forces in the game, reasons for troops to be here or there, and world military events to have more behind them than GM rulings.
Skarg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 04:25 PM   #14
JLV
 
JLV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Far northern California
Default Re: Expansions and Splat books for TFT.

Exactly! That's exactly the same reasoning I used in adopting Trailblazer to TFT to run the macro-economic level -- it provided a logical framework for the details and made the whole thing make a lot more sense.

Plus, if worse comes to worst, you can have a nice mini-wargame to play once in a while! ;-)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 06:09 AM   #15
Rick_Smith
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Coquitlam B.C.
Default Re: Expansions and Splat books for TFT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kane View Post
I would like to see:
  • Mass Combat
  • Siege Weapons
  • Nation Building w/rules for Commerce and Trade at the national level
  • Ships, Navy, and Pirates
JK
Hi Jim,
-- I would go for Mass combat, and Nation Building.
I would pass on pirates and ships simply because I've already done it.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 06:11 AM   #16
Rick_Smith
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Coquitlam B.C.
Default Re: Expansions and Splat books for TFT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
Religion: of course I'd like to see an expanded form of my document and future pamphlet-sized religion docs (maybe some published as magazine articles or blog posts)

Magic: magical schools, metamagical talents like increases in duration, target size, and saving roll difficulty, decreases in difficulty, etc., maybe each limited to a school

Unarmed Combat: mystic traditions, fighting styles (D&D 3.5 Complete Warrior's Drunken Master and Tattooed Monk were very cool)

An official TFT Blog: Like a digital Spacegamer just for TFT where staff and fans can post house rules and expansions!

Thieves

Rangers

Dark Magic and Religion: necromancers, sorcery, pacts, dark religions
Hi Zot,
I agree with you on Thieves and Rangers (tho they might be able to go into the same book, along with the stealth and ambush rules).

I also agree that dark magic (Necromancy, Demonology), would be very useful, but those are sufficiently different they might make two different books.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 06:19 AM   #17
Rick_Smith
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Coquitlam B.C.
Default Re: Expansions and Splat books for TFT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
What I'd want:

* Counter and map books with lots of nice TFT-style counters for all sorts of things, dropped weapon counters, terrain maps, tileable maps. Printed and/or in PDF with instructions to give to a copy shop on how to print them well on card stock. (Note these would all be perfect for use with GURPS too.)

* Books about various ways to flesh out and detail the Cidri-style guilds. We had a lot of fun with the Wizards Guild, Scholars Guild, and some with the Mercenaries and Mechanicians. I wouldn't make it too rigid but would suggest various ways they can be fleshed out. What rivalries between guild branches and factions could be like, how their power/trade might interact with powerful individuals such as rulers.

* Books about gaming out overland adventures. Mapping & getting lost, wilderness survival, vehicles and pack animals vs. terrain, weather & shelter, deserts, climbing, crossing rivers, boating.

* A set of guidelines for converting GURPS material to TFT (hello instant hundreds of books of content).

* Advanced/optional rules, or a catalog of common house rules.

* Mass combat and/or squad/company-scale combat.

* Naval combat/adventure (I used both Ramspeed & Wooden Ships & Iron Men, plus TFT boarding actions when PCs were aboard a ship where that happened).
Hi Skarg,
A counter and map book as you describe would be sweet.

The overland survival guide might be part of a ranger supplement.

Dragons of the Underearth sorta, kinda was a mass combat, company sized war game where PC parties could become counters in that game. Something like that could be really cool for TFT, but it would have to be done better. If it was done well, I would buy a copy, and a copy for each of my gaming group.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 01:09 PM   #18
JLV
 
JLV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Far northern California
Default Re: Expansions and Splat books for TFT.

Hmm. Just because you've already done it, Rick, doesn't mean that everyone else has. I think something on piracy and ship-to-ship combat (and even larger naval engagements) would be an excellent choice for a splat book.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 01:49 PM   #19
Rick_Smith
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Coquitlam B.C.
Default Re: Expansions and Splat books for TFT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Hmm. Just because you've already done it, Rick, doesn't mean that everyone else has. I think something on piracy and ship-to-ship combat (and even larger naval engagements) would be an excellent choice for a splat book.
Hi JLV, everyone.
Of course not, but this thread is a place where you can say, "I like this, or that". It allows Steve to count noses, if that amuses him.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 03:53 PM   #20
JLV
 
JLV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Far northern California
Default Re: Expansions and Splat books for TFT.

Good point, Rick; sorry if I sounded hostile...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
expansions, new products, rules, splat book, supplements

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.