Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 08-24-2012, 07:30 PM   #1
ru5150

Default How do I get the Weapons Master damage bonus applied to a weapon

How do I get the Weapon Master damage bonus applied to a weapon? I fumbled around and didn't see anything obvious.

Likewise how do I get the Thrown Weapons Art skill to add bonuses to appropriate weapons?

How do I get GCA to arbitrate between them and take the best one?
ru5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:10 AM   #2
flyingwombat

Default Re: How do I get the Weapons Master damage bonus applied to a weapon

When you buy the Weapon Master Advantage GCA tells you that you need to buy "_Advantage: Weapon Master Damage Bonus". To get this for a weapon, say broadsword, you need to do the following:
  1. buy a broadsword
  2. click on broadsword
  3. click the modifiers button
  4. "_Advantage: Weapon Master Damage Bonus" should be near the top of the specific categories for that weapon.
flyingwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:10 AM   #3
ru5150

Ah that power modifier shows up under broadsword but not under shuriken. So I copied it and I still didn't get it. Then I noticed that a Throwing Art was not listed as a skill for shuriken. So I added that skill to the equipped item.

Should Throwing Art skill be part of every possible thrown weapon? And shouldn't the advantage: Weapon Master show in the shuriken list? Also throwing art adds +1 to ST for purposes of range....how do I add that?

Last edited by ru5150; 08-25-2012 at 09:30 AM.
ru5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:28 AM   #4
flyingwombat

Did you load the Martial Arts data file? When I did with just the basic set file the shuriken has both weapon master damage bonus and the Throwing Art skill available for modification.

The kind of characters you create depend on what kind of files you load. You have to load the files required for the setting for GCA to do the work. I am presuming you are either GMing or in a game with Martial Arts. If I am correct you should load that file.

Hope that helps!
flyingwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:51 AM   #5
dave_in_TX

I'm trying to add the Weapons Master damage bonus applied to a Large Throwing Knife. The "_Advantage: Weapon Master Damage Bonus" doesn't show up for that weapon. I do have the martial arts data set loaded.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Dave
dave_in_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:47 AM   #6
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_in_TX View Post
I'm trying to add the Weapons Master damage bonus applied to a Large Throwing Knife. The "_Advantage: Weapon Master Damage Bonus" doesn't show up for that weapon. I do have the martial arts data set loaded.
It looks like the modifier group that includes "_Advantage: Weapon Master Damage Bonus" was accidently left out of a couple weapons.

Easy method: Add the damage bonus modifier to another weapon. Right click on it, select "Copy modifiers TO buffer". Select then right click on the Large Throwing Knife and select "Paste modifiers FROM buffer".

Slightly harder method: Select the Large Throwing Knife and click the Edit button, then Full Edit Window, then the Advanced button. Look for the mods entry and add the following to the end of it:
, Melee Quality
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:50 PM   #7
dave_in_TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
It looks like the modifier group that includes "_Advantage: Weapon Master Damage Bonus" was accidently left out of a couple weapons.

Easy method: Add the damage bonus modifier to another weapon. Right click on it, select "Copy modifiers TO buffer". Select then right click on the Large Throwing Knife and select "Paste modifiers FROM buffer".

Slightly harder method: Select the Large Throwing Knife and click the Edit button, then Full Edit Window, then the Advanced button. Look for the mods entry and add the following to the end of it:
, Melee Quality
I made the changes as you suggested but it hasn't affected the to hit or weapon damage. Shouldn't that have changed?

Dave
Old 06-08-2018, 08:06 PM   #8
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
I made the changes as you suggested but it hasn't affected the to hit or weapon damage. Shouldn't that have changed?

Dave
Once you make the change you still have to add the modifier to the Large Throwing Knife.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:57 AM   #9
dave_in_TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Once you make the change you still have to add the modifier to the Large Throwing Knife.
Now I'm chasing down how to add the modifier to the Large Throwing Knife. I'm still too new to Character Assistant to know how to do this stuff. Any help would be appreciated.

I did look through the options and nothing jumped off the page and said "add +1 to this to increase the damage."

Dave
Old 06-09-2018, 11:32 AM   #10
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Now I'm chasing down how to add the modifier to the Large Throwing Knife. I'm still too new to Character Assistant to know how to do this stuff. Any help would be appreciated.

I did look through the options and nothing jumped off the page and said "add +1 to this to increase the damage."

Dave
Click on the knife on the Character Equipment list in the Equipment tab. Click on the Modifiers button next to Edit (that has the little hammer and chisel icon). Pick the _Advantage: Weapon Master Damage Bonus modifier from the list on the left, and add it to the Character Modifiers list on the right. OK to close. The modifier is now applied.

Alternatively, you can also add Modifiers from the Edit windows by clicking the Modifiers buttons on those windows, then adding them in the same way.

Remember also that there is a minimum skill level required before the Weapon Master damage bonus actually applies any bonus damage to a weapon.