Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 12-28-2020, 01:12 AM   #11
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Convert PCs DnD>DFRPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Giving the players points and asking them to make characters thematically inspired by the original seems much lower risk of the players thinking you did it wrong
However, confronting players new to DFRPG with the character creation system risks them getting things wrong. Some collaboration with the GM will be required, and they need to understand how the game style is going to change.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 05:50 AM   #12
InexplicableVic

Suggestion: Post the characters here (or in a separate post), and see if anyone is willing to try to convert them. I'd probably give it a stab, because I enjoy character creation and such.

The question that comes up is as follows: what point value do you want them to start at. DFRPG characters start at 250 points, which you *might* equate to 6th or 7th level D&D (it is not easy to correlate).

Given that the magic systems are dissimilar, a good idea would be to try to preserve the flavor of what these characters do, are good at, etc. while merging into the new game system. In other words, echoing what Doug said. I've played a lot of both; they're not really easy to convert. Running a campaign based on a 5e book, my conversion of NPCs has been all thematic. A 5e fighter with 18 ST? I'm probably making that guy 16 ST max in DFRPG if he's 250 points or less. That obviously means that I also agree with Doug that going 1:1 on stats is not a great idea.

For example, I've been playing GURPS/DFRPG for years, and I do not recall ever seeing a Wizard (or Cleric) go beyond IQ 16. Not that it would be a bad idea, but it's an unusual breakpoint that may not be worth the effort (IQ 16 + Magery 6 = 20 in most spells). An ST 18 knight is super strong, but he or she pays for that by skimping on other advantages (probably Weapon Master). Go with a feel.
InexplicableVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 11:38 AM   #13
Black Leviathan

Please understand this is me at my most helpful. Don't convert characters from D&D to Dungeon Fantasy.

This isn't a rules-swap. It is a fundamentally different approach to dungeon delving gaming. Not only is GURPS a less forgiving/more detailed system, it also rewards different thinking than D&D. Continuation of D&D characters into GURPS creates an expectation that D&D characters will do D&D stuff in a system that just doesn't work that way. Start new with the expectation that this game will be different than what you did before.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 12:40 PM   #14
RedMattis

As someone who GMs GURPS and is a player in D&D I really must second what others are saying here. Don't try to straight convert, the systems and how you play is too different.

In D&D you can have the fighter wearing only a some underwear tank huge monsters with his face for a surprisingly long time if he has some levels on them or a healer can spam-heal him. Meanwhile, in GURPS a random guardsman with a Halberd can straight up slice off the arm of the unarmoured fighter (which can easily happen if the fighter f.ex. All-out-attacks). Also the party cleric doesn't make people pop up into the fight just by saying a "healing word" from across the room. Just as an example.

Dungeon Delving in GURPS needs to be handled a bit differently from D&D. Porting an existing character and suddenly finding that their high-level fighter cannot gleefully obliterate Brown Bears (and laugh off their attacks) is likely to just be jarring for the players.

Letting them reimagine their characters in GURPS is much more likely to give a positive impression, I think.
Old 12-29-2020, 01:22 PM   #15
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMattis View Post
In D&D you can have the fighter wearing only a some underwear tank huge monsters with his face for a surprisingly long time if he has some levels on them or a healer can spam-heal him.
Eh, in GURPS an unarmored fighter can tank a giant monster for quite a while too, it just looks different (active defenses vs hit points). There's a reasonable argument for the power level variance in D&D 5th edition being smaller than what's normally encountered in GURPS.
Old 12-29-2020, 01:32 PM   #16
RedMattis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Eh, in GURPS an unarmored fighter can tank a giant monster for quite a while too, it just looks different (active defenses vs hit points). There's a reasonable argument for the power level variance in D&D 5th edition being smaller than what's normally encountered in GURPS.
Until the dragon uses a cone-attack or the fighter's weapon breaks on a parry anyway. I mean, Dungeon Fantasy works great using the GURPS engine, no argument there, I'm just pointing out that it works quite differently. (Dodging, parrying, instead of standing your ground f.ex.). Reimagining seems like a better approach to me.
Old 12-30-2020, 03:09 AM   #17
Johnny Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth View Post
Hi again.
I'd be really happy for any feedback on how to converting PCs from DnD to DFRPG.

I'm not interested in an exact conversion, I just want something quick and dirty.
I'll just give my players Character Points and it's up to them to create new DFRPG PCs as similar to their old DnD PC as they want.

Even if they are power gamers and munchkins, I AM NOT!
I just want the conversion to be as simple as possible.

Here's my suggestion:

100 points + 20 * level.
So level 10 would be 300 points.

Is it too high or too low?

But my players are not satisfied

We didn't use point buy for abilities in DnD, we rolled "4d6 drop lowest" for all abilities.
And of course they want this to be reflected in the points they receive to build DFRPG PCs (at least those who rolled high).
So here's my suggestion:

The base in both DnD and DFRPG is 10 in all abilities/attibutes, so:
STR 10, DEX 10, CON 10, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 10 =equals= ST 10, DX 10, IQ 10, HT 10.

In DFRPG an attribute increase vill affect all skills depending on that attribute immediately.
In DnD you don't use abilities directly as you use attributes in DFRPG. Instead they use ability modifiers that increases every two step of ability increase:
10-11 : +0
12-13 : +1
14-15 : +2

It would be fair to say that a two point ability increase in DnD equals a one point attribute increase in DFRPG, so:
STR 12, DEX 12, CON 12, INT 12, WIS 12, CHA 12 =equals= ST 11, DX 11, IQ 11, HT 11.

To raise 6 abilities 2 steps is a total of 12 rises.
To raise 4 attributes 1 level is 60 points.
60/12 = 5.
So every ability increase in DnD is worth 5 points in DFRPG.

If you roll 4d6, drop lowest, it gives an average of 12.25, let's round down to 12.
Let's then give the players 5 point for each ability step above 12 in DnD (and of course -5 for each ability below 12).

Is this too much, too little, or maybe too stupid?

Which edition of D&D are you using?

Also, do you have an example of one of the characters you're trying to convert?
Johnny Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 04:49 AM   #18
InexplicableVic

You may also find this helpful (conversion of Pathfinder iconic characters to DFRPG).
InexplicableVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 07:10 AM   #19
Anth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
There's a general feeling that 25 points per level produces a tolerably good match for the feel of power levels, but that's as far as I'd take it.
After some thinking (and googling) I agree.

To convert is more of an art than science.
There is no objective truth, only subjective feeling of what is right.

So here are my (updated) thoughts:

1. A level 1 character should have something like 100-150 points in GURPS/DFRPG.

2. A level is worth somwhere between 20-30 points (and lower levels are ṕrobably worth more.

3. The 250 point templates in DFRPG are probably equivalent to level 5-7 in DnD.

So new formula:
Level 1 : 100 points.
Level 2 : 150 points.
+1 level : +25 points.
Level 6 = 250 points (DFRPG templates).
Level 10 = 350 points.
Anth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 07:12 AM   #20
Anth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
I think you have 2 choices

A - give players N points and say 'go try to make thematically similar characters'

Or

B - You convert them come what may, accepting that the party will not all nicely equal N points and will have values all over the place

Trying to convert them but have them all end up N points to me is simply going to result in tears and disaster
I agree, that's why we choose A.
Anth is offline   Reply With Quote