Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 07-11-2020, 08:48 PM   #1
AllenOwen

Default Forgotten Realms in DFRPG

I have decided to embark on a little project: Adapt the Forgotten Realms setting for DFRPG. This is going to involve breaking DFPRG's framework a little, as I am most likely going to need to refer to GURPS DF 1-4 and 7 (at least), along with GURPS Magic. But I am going to do my best to minimize that though.

DFRPG is a hack-n-slash-dungeon-delving-kill-critters-and-take-their-stuff game. Just like a fantasy RPG of yore. And like that fantasy RPG of yore, it has no explicit, or even implicit setting, other than a general medieval no gunpowder and magic is everywhere setting. At least for the editions I cut my teeth playing with, 1st and 2ed. I have the Basic Set, so I can stat out some things already.

So, I thought, why not use Forgotten Realms as a setting for it?

I know 5e uses Forgotten Realms as the standard setting, but other than a few supplements, there isn't much out for the setting yet. So I eventually will be using stuff from 2ed edition, simply because there's more lore available.

Luckily, most of the spells in D&D or AD&D have an equivalent in DFRPG. A few do not exist, and I'll need to make 'em. I know GURPS Magic has guidelines for spell creation, so I'll need to get that to recreate all, or at least some of the well known or unique spells from AD&D. The reason I'm doing that is: 1) see if I can do it and 2) maybe I'll pitch DFRPG to AD&D players and they'll have something familiar to look forward to. By unique spells, I mean spells like Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Leomund's Tiny Hut, etc.

Races will be fairly easy to make work. I know there are now Teiflings and Dragonborn available in 5e, and in the DFRPG Companion 2 we are given racial templates for Infernals and Lizardmen. I'd just use Infernals as is for Teiflings and I gave the Lizardmen breath weapons, since Dragonborn get a breath weapon, the nature of which depends upon their lineage. I made the breath weapons such that the point cost is low enough I don't think it will break things too much. So first thing I've done is work out the breath weapons for my version of Dragonborn. Personally, I would not allow either Teiflings or Dragonborn in my game, since most of the lore (and adventures) I want to eventually use are from when they didn't exist. But other people might want them, so here they are:

Use the Lizardman racial template on pg 53 in the DFRPG Companion 2 and, depending upon lineage, add:

Red Lineage Breath Weapon
Burning Attack 1d (Cone, 5 yds, +100%; Limited Use, 1/day, -40%; Reduced Range, 1/10, -30%)[6]

Gold Lineage Breath Weapon
Burning Attack 1d (Cone, 5 yds, +100%; Limited Use, 1/day, -40%; Reduced Range, 1/10, -30%)[6]

Silver Lineage Breath Weapon
Cold, 1d Burning (Cone, 5 yds, +100%; Limited Use, 1/day, -40%; Reduced Range, 1/10, -20%)[6]

Blue Lineage Breath Weapon
Lightening, 1d Burning Attack(Side Effect, Stunning, +50%; Limited Use, 1/day, -40%; Reduced Range,1/10, -20%)[5]

Green Lineage Breath Weapon
Toxic Attack 1d(Area Effect, 2 yd radius, +50%; Contact Agent, +150%; Resistible, HT, -30%; Limited Use, 1/day, -40%)[6]

Brass Lineage Breath Weapon

White Lineage Breath Weapon
Cold, 1d Burning Attack(Cone, 5 yds, +100%; Limited Use, 1/day, -40%,; Reduced Range, 1/10, -20%)[6]

Black Lineage Breath Weapon
Corrosive Attack 1d( Affliction 1, Blindness, +50%; Limited Use, 1/day, -40%; Reduced Range,1/10, -30%)[6]

Bronze Lineage Breath Weapon
Lightening, 1d Burning Attack(Side Effect, Stunning, +50%; Limited Use, 1/day, -40%; Reduced Range, 1/10, -30%)[5]

Copper Lineage Breath Weapon
Corrosive Attack 1d( Affliction 1, Blindness, +50%; Limited Use, 1/day, -40%; Reduced Range,1/10, -30%)[6]

There's probably going be more coming for Dragonborn, mainly adding limited DR for specific attacks and different Terrain Adaptations, all depending upon lineage. For example, Green lineage might be Immune to Poison and in place of Terrain Adaptations(Swamp or Sand), they'll have Terrain Adaptation (Forest).

I also will add lifespan info for all races, as appropriate. Elves will get some level of Extended Lifespan and Early Maturation, as FR Elves are not Unaging, and Halflings will probably get Longevity, since they live a little longer than Humans, and so on. This was deemed unimportant in DFPRG, but the FR materials mention it, and the idea is to have long campaigns with an interconnected series of stories that may play out over game years, I thought I'd add it.

Each religion will get a template, based off either the druid or cleric template, and I'll need to refer to DF 7 for that. Any spells that appear in DF 7 that do not also appear in DFPRG Spells will be omitted, at least for now. I only intend to use GURPS Magic to make the spells unique to D&D.

Note to mods: If this is deemed more appropriate for the GURPS threads, please let me know and I'll move it. Or maybe you can move it.

Last edited by AllenOwen; 07-12-2020 at 07:48 AM. Reason: math correction
AllenOwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 04:43 AM   #2
Anders

Default Re: Forgotten Realms in DFRPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOwen View Post
Green Lineage Breath Weapon
Toxic Attack 1d(Area Effect, 2 yd radius, +50%; Contact Agent, -30%; Resistible, HT, -30%; Limited Use, 1/day, -40%)[2]

Check p. B111. If the attack also has Area Effect, Contact Agent lets it ignore all DR, making it a +150% enhancement. This raises the cost to [6], which is in line with the other breath weapons. Looks good otherwise.
Old 07-12-2020, 07:50 AM   #3
AllenOwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Check p. B111. If the attack also has Area Effect, Contact Agent lets it ignore all DR, making it a +150% enhancement. This raises the cost to [6], which is in line with the other breath weapons. Looks good otherwise.
LOL I knew I'd miss something. Corrected. Thanks!
Old 07-12-2020, 11:33 AM   #4
Anders

We shall follow your career with great interest.

Last edited by Anders; 07-12-2020 at 11:50 AM.
Anders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:35 PM   #5
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
We shall follow your career with great interest.
THAT ended well...
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:36 PM   #6
AllenOwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
THAT ended well...
Well I do dislike sand...
Old 07-12-2020, 01:38 PM   #7
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
THAT ended well...
But unlike that character, my Death Star is OSHA compliant.
Old 07-17-2020, 02:42 PM   #8
AllenOwen

Alright. I made a few alterations to the races, other than the Lizardmen("Dragonborn") and Infernals("Teiflings).

Faerun has a more granular set of races than DFRPG. One could just use the races as is, if you wanted. But some Faerun gnomes are illusionists, which is not reflected in vanilla DFRPG. Therefore they will get a change, too.

So, without much further ado, here we go:

Elves:
Faerun elves come in four variations: Moon, Sun, Wood, and Drow.

All elf variations get:
Extended Lifespan 3 [8]
Early Maturation 3 [0]

The "Drow" are easy: Use the Dark Elf template found on pg 45, DFRPG Companion 2. Done.

In order to give the other elves some distinction, I made the following changes, which are in addition to the template on pg 44 of DFRPG Adventurers.

Moon, Sun elves are "high elves", so they both get IQ+1

Moon Elf IQ+1 [20]

Sun Elf IQ+1 [20]

Wood Elf Will+1 [5]

These point totals include the original template cost:

Dark Elf: [28]
Moon Elf: [48]
Sun Elf: [48]
Wood Elf: [33]

Half-elves

Use as is on pg 44 of DFRPG Adventurers and add
Extended Lifespan 1 [2]
Early Maturation 1 [0]

Next up: Gnomes
Old 07-19-2020, 03:13 AM   #9
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOwen View Post
Elves:
Faerun elves come in four variations: Moon, Sun, Wood, and Drow.

All elf variations get:
Extended Lifespan 3 [8]
Early Maturation 3 [0]
Extended Lifespan 3 is 6 points, right? Honestly, I would reduce that to a perk, at most. It's really only relevant if you have ageing traps and spells.

What D&D edition are we converting?

Last edited by Anders; 07-19-2020 at 06:17 AM.
Anders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:40 AM   #10
Imbicatus

Especially if we are talking DFRPG, elf extended lifespan is worth not points.
Imbicatus is offline   Reply With Quote